• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Daily doom

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Daily doom"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    if mortgages have just reached a record % of salaries, surely that means house prices have been increasing and therefore the market has been strengthening, not weakening?
    No. In this case it means that effective interest rates paid by people are raising, this will be quick since many people who got teaser low rates for first 2-3 years of their morgage thinking they will switch elsewhere after this time will now find themselves unable to get morgage elsewhere, which means banks will be raising their morgage rates even higher.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Homeowners are spending more of their salary on mortgages for the first time since 1991 as the market continues to weaken
    Now maybe I'm missing something...but if mortgages have just reached a record % of salaries, surely that means house prices have been increasing and therefore the market has been strengthening, not weakening?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I used to be a banker myself actually. Not in this country though, but supposedly here phrase "bankers' word is his bond" should mean something, but looking at you I reckon this is not the case. Frankly given your attitude towards repayment of debt that you agreed to creates a security risk for any bank where you work. Please tell me that you don't work for Lloyds TSB.

w

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    We've got a f/t cleaner's job for our plush reception here, if you want to earn some money in a bank.
    I used to be a banker myself actually. Not in this country though, but supposedly here phrase "bankers' word is his bond" should mean something, but looking at you I reckon this is not the case. Frankly given your attitude towards repayment of debt that you agreed to creates a security risk for any bank where you work. Please tell me that you don't work for Lloyds TSB.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You will fit right in here - please post more often.

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Asylum Seekers Allowance: Do you get that?

I'd rather give it to someone selling the 'Big Issue'!
    AtW, I see you are familiar with our courts and bankruptcy law.
    Are you familiar with the old English expression: 'F-off' ?
    No wonder you've got that many posts, nothing else to do all day - why not exercise your pidgin English sometime?
    We've got a f/t cleaner's job for our plush reception here, if you want to earn some money in a bank. That's as high as you will ever go, f'n loser to**er.

Over and out.
    Last edited by Dow Jones; 11 December 2007, 16:44. Reason: Added AtW

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    You just don't get it, do you - copying and pasting headlines by some Russian bird doesn't reflect what happens in real life, ie investment banks always have and always will buy pre-risk-assessed fixed-income (bonds). The risk factor varies from bank to bank and depends on how much they can afford to lose without going bust - unlike the NR scenario.
    You seem to be pre-occupied with headlines, none of the major players have gone under as a result.
    There have always been losses of a few hundred staff before Xmas - banks like to do that before the NY starts.
    It is not a matter to be gloating over though.
    How many banks when down during the last 80's/early 90's recession?

Didn't stop Mr smith getting robbed blind it?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    FFS atw, isn't the dole and housing benefit enough for you?
    No. Next...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It was not a bet indeed, but my charge for educating you. You admitted the charge (thus assuming) debt, and asked for my bank details to pay it. I politely declined, the debt you agreed to still stands, so you need to pay it before I start charging you excessive interest rate - I should have charged you £1000, because in this case I would have been able to apply to court to declare you bankrupt, but looking at how life treated you I think it would be unnecessary
    FFS atw, isn't the dole and housing benefit enough for you?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    £ 100 was not a bet, but on condition that you would give me your details, account no/sort code, dob, etc - going rate for your compatriot hackers, isn't it?
    It was not a bet indeed, but my charge for educating you. You admitted the charge (thus assuming) debt, and asked for my bank details to pay it. I politely declined, the debt you agreed to still stands, so you need to pay it before I start charging you excessive interest rate - I should have charged you £1000, because in this case I would have been able to apply to court to declare you bankrupt, but looking at how life treated you I think it would be unnecessary

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    At the slightest sign of recession, the BoE will drop its rates faster than some girls drop their knicks
    The Times today reported on its front page that banks are considering putting their rates UP. Regardless of BoE.

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    You must be desperate

£ 100 was not a bet, but on condition that you would give me your details, account no/sort code, dob, etc - going rate for your compatriot hackers, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    AtW, do me a favour!
    You will first need to settle this £100 debt that you agreed to yesterday. Are you familiar with the Russian expression "postavit na schetchik"?

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Nice one

Anytime TE, I like your posts, let you know (after the Xmas party, there are always vacancies!)

AtW, do me a favour!
    Last edited by Dow Jones; 11 December 2007, 14:59. Reason: Add TE

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I am not convinced yet by the Cassandras (AtW etc)
    "Optimists" like you wait until the fire starts destroying everything around them, and even at that point you'd say - great stuff, we will build a new city after the fire goes away and now let's have BBQ!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X