• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "An extension for an extension!"

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    they build straw bale houses in the US and Canada, have a look on google

Milan.
    There was one on Grand Designs, in France I think !?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    they build straw bale houses in the US and Canada, have a look on google

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    We used to do it as kids, was great fun. Until the farmer chases you

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Or even hay bales (the retangular ones, not the circular). Anyone can lay those and they must have pretty good thermal properties?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    I gotta say, these Weinerburger Porotherm blocks http://www.wienerberger.com/servlet/...wb_com_home_en are like lego and go up like lego and anyone can lay them

unlike our tradition in the UK for two parallel walls that take a huge amount of time and skill to lay

I am surprised noone in the uk is building with these Porotherm blocks systems

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    and all built for the price of a two bed semi in the saaaafffff east

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Chug, we have fantastico insulation, it is a new house, built to central european/german/austrian/swiss standard this means

lots of impressive stats

insulation is the biggest part of the battle

Milan.
    High specs indeed; I'll get me coat. Clearly in your house you don't need to!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    roots,

the wooden floors are beautiful, we are very happy with them

And they are always warm for bare feet unlike tiles without under floor heating.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Anyone else wary about cavity insulation - seems to be a route for moisture crossing the void
    The house I just bought a 1920s house that had cavity insulation put in about 20 years ago. No obvious problems other than the foam blocked up some of the air vents that went through to the cavity under the suspended floor, a bit of a pain unblocking them.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Anyone else wary about cavity insulation - seems to be a route for moisture crossing the void
    I know what you mean Troll but the wall leaves vent in the loft and should allow sufficient ventilation through the material. I think a more common problem is sloppy brickies dropping mortar on a cavity brick tie.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Chug, we have fantastico insulation,

insulation is the biggest part of the battle

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 7 December 2007, 11:55.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
    If possible, increasing insulation in the roof, wall cavities, and draft proofing is the most cost effective way of getting those bills down.
    I've just been putting fibreglass roll under suspended wooden floors with about 2ft of headroom, pitch black, crawling around in soil and dust, no mask, and no googles, pretty stupid really and I'm still not convinced it's any warmer !

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
    You're welcome Milan.

If possible, increasing insulation in the roof, wall cavities, and draft proofing is the most cost effective way of getting those bills down.

We've done the lot for about £250 and it pays for itself in no time.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    I'm tempted to go the oil boiler route... but only as a source of cheap diesel for me 4x4
    I've been looking at getting a Defender and running it on Biodiesel too! I'm turning into Dick Strawbridge (without the 'tache).

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Hi Chugnut,

thanks for the info, I didn't know that.

I will keep that in mind for the future. We've only been in here for a couple of months so I'm waiting to see what the first gas and lecky bills are gonna be
    :-(

Milan.
    You're welcome Milan.

We've done the lot for about £250 and it pays for itself in no time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X