• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Doomed

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Doomed"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Lets see. Imagine you are the BoE and you have all these lovely machines that can print money, and a load of banks suddenly need to borrow billions of pounds.

How might you resolve this problem in a very short-termist way?

Hey that sounds strangely familiar!! are there any other countries that have done this?

But I expect it's all different this time because it's backed up by all that bullion in the BoE's vaults

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Lets see. Imagine you are the BoE and you have all these lovely machines that can print money, and a load of banks suddenly need to borrow billions of pounds.

Hey that sounds familiar!! any other countries done this? I expect it's all different this time because it's backed up by all that bullion in the BoE's vaults

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    just as a tangent - anyone knows where the BoE got £25bn from to shore up
    Northern Rock?

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    just as a tangent - anyone knows where the BoE got £25bn from to shore up Northern Rock?
    It's created from nothing. The oldest trick in banking - charge interest on money that never really existed.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Contractors mostly
    not me matey... make yer gross your nett that's my motto

HTH
    Last edited by Troll; 30 November 2007, 11:05.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Northern Rock?
    Contractors mostly

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Northern Rock?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    But inflation is rocketing. If BoE cut interest rates, we'll just see an even bigger debt bubble form.
    I'd settle for them sustaining the debt bubble for another year or so, 'cos then I'd have time to sell up and watch things go BOOM from a safe distance.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    But inflation is rocketing. If BoE cut interest rates, we'll just see an even bigger debt bubble form.

Soon be lot's of cheap repossessed properties on the market for me then

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic Doomed

Doomed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7120460.stm

Mortgage lenders have made a plea for the Bank of England to cut interest rates to shore up their finances.
    The latest report from the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) warns that, "funding pressures have started to crystallise for a number of lenders".

It says their ability to borrow from other financial institutions is getting worse, not better.

The CML calls on the Bank of England to cut interest rates sooner rather than later.

If that gap cannot be made up by lenders borrowing in the wholesale markets then the mortgage tap may be turned off.

"Firms have various other options, including the ability to influence the volumes of new lending business they write in line with their funding pipeline," said the CML.

"But, the overall impact is to limit the availability of mortgage credit and to raise its cost for prospective borrowers," it warned.

Working...
X