• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is 'General' often this nasty?"

Collapse

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    I think you undervalued your answer. Thank you for the explanation.

No doubt Malvolio will say that's its well and truly overvalued.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    what happened yesterday? what did I miss?? please update me
    You missed an attention seeking pillock threatening to leave.

Where as this attention seeking pillock is staying right here!

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    <snip detailed explanation about General, other bits of Contractor UK, PCG fora and Shout99>

There. That's my two pennyworth.
    I think you undervalued your answer. Thank you for the explanation.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    The PCG is only worth the money for the insurance. Take that away and you have nothing worth bothering with.
    Interesting - so Shout99 is FTW?

Do they have a jazz club?

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Despite my post count I am a newbie on Contractor UK. (The post count comes from using 'test please delete' as a sandpit to play in while I lurked elsewhere on this site.)

Yesterday's postings, specifically some threads in the 'General' area, seemed to be quite nasty.

The Bulletin Board Terms and Conditions at "http://www.contractoruk.com/about/bulletin_board.html" suggest a much more restrained approach than seems to occur here. I know rules are only guidelines but I am getting the impression this isn't somewhere I really want to be - the gap between my expectations and some of what I am seeing are immense.

To be blunt, I'm inclined to quietly close my account and go away, which is a shame, since the advice and support I have seen are extremely good.

But had I been a very new member here, I would have been appalled at what I had seen and left, never to return. I would have also been left with a VERY poor impression of UK contractors (unless I was a permie in which case it would have confirmed everything I already suspected). I would probably have tarred www.contractoruk.com with the same brush too.

Since everything on here is visible in Google, non-members are able to cheerfully find and browse these messages and some of what got said yesterday I would only expect to see in some of the less pleasant Usenet groups that are filled with adolescents and social drop-outs, not professionally employed people running their own businesses.

Am I misunderstanding what this 'General' area is for? Should I just quietly go away and explore the PCG fora instead?
    The PCG fora is worse, in fact. You get too much banter caught up with serious, helpful answers and waste a lot of unnecessary time. If you're looking to join the PCG for the forum - don't bother. The PCG is only worth the money for the insurance. Take that away and you have nothing worth bothering with. There's too much infighting and petty politicking.

At least on here there is at least a half hearted attempt to keep serious posts (legal/accounting and Contractor/business sites) from trivia and banter on the General. Although the distinction isn't as great as it was when I first joined. That doesn't happen on the PCG forum at all. It's perfectly possible to see a serious query descend into trite pointless comments quickly on with one of two serious answers submerged into the mix, after wading through 10 responses of no value whatsoever. It's also heavily regulated with too many 'this post has been removed' notices from the PCG gestapo but no attempt to remove the banter or bullying. It's a nightmare, frankly. At least on the General forum here, there's the odd bit of humour. The lounge on the PCG forum is about as amusing and entertaining as a two week holiday in Afghanistan. The PCG general fora layout is also offputting - too many sites to wade through.

I hate it there, in case you haven't caught on yet!

My favourite is the Shout 99 forum, which is generally quite good most of the time because its very easy to pick out the troublemakers. I also like the layout and it seems well moderated. I guess it's down to personal preference though, but I think S99 has a pleasant look and feel to it and I like the 'ask an expert' site as well which is handy if you want some freebie accounting or legal commentary instead of the blind leading the blind misdirection you so often get on here or on the PCG forum.

There. That's my two pennyworth.

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    Listen 'ere Letter Box, you don't want to know.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    A newbie tried to discuss contracting issues in General.

It was a bloodbath I tell you.

You were lucky you had protection on.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "I got blackballed"

Less of what you get up to in your own time!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Hang on! I thought you were one of the founder members Churchy

Or is that classed as slander

Ooer! feel a ban coming on
    Nope, never been in the PCG.

I got blackballed...

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    That's because Malvolio is up the arse of the PCG and is trying to drum up recruits.
    Hang on! I thought you were one of the founder members Churchy

Or is that classed as slander

Ooer! feel a ban coming on

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by The Master View Post
    I blame Malvolio with all his sensible, useful postings in Business and Accounting.
    That's because Malvolio is up the arse of the PCG and is trying to drum up recruits.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I'm off back to TPD for some sense

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    I blame Malvolio with all his sensible, useful postings in Business and Accounting.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    PostsTotal Posts: 1,264 (37.35 posts per day)

WTF??? How is this possible? I mean we all know that Zeighty works in Edukashun and has no students, then there's AtW who doesn't (seem to) work and only has his squirrels for company but even they pale in comparison.

Are you on the bench or does your client really have such low expectations?

I'm stunned.
    You should all be stunned, With a cattle prod

This is an example of the behavior that we more refined posters have come to expect from the elitist crowd that inhabit the outer fringes of cuk
    Just kidding

Leave a comment:

Working...
X