• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Passats

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Passats"

Collapse

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The worst most unreliable car I've owned was a VW Golf.

This whole "VW reliability" is a myth.
    I remember a Top Gear in the early 90s where they pointed out that the VW factory had a unit that rectified faults on Golfs that had just come off the production line, and that it cost them more per car just rectifying faults than Toyota spent in total making each equivalent Corolla.

Having said that, I always found this a bit hard to believe, as I don't know how VW would have stayed in business if it were true.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Stick to a vectra if you want a work-horse

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Correct, I had a dodgy Golf that blew up with sub 50K on the clock. Various other ongoing problems.

ps. got a Mondeo at the weekend, not a banger either. I've now got a Mondeo and a Vectra, how good is that !

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I'm waiting for someone who knows about cars to post, not you pair of gays
    I needed a hire car for the family over the weekend.

Thinking of you lot I wanted something carp.

And being the cheap guy I am I clicked next to a Pissat in the "untere mittelclasse" (below middle class) category.

But to my horror I did not get the coveted Pissat. I was upgraded to a Vauxhall Zafira

Th eZafira can do 50 mph in 1st gear. Not for long though

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Yes, they will tell you that they don't care. Mind you they'll also tell you that 4 inches is a pretty normal size after all and that's all they need really.
    Ah, I get it - you must have trapped yours in a Passat door.

Traumatic, that.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Yes, they will tell you that they don't care. Mind you they'll also tell you that 4 inches is a pretty normal size after all and that's all they need really.
    That must have been traumatic for you. I'm glad you can laugh at it now.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba View Post
    Actively seeking out and choosing one might be a little weird. But between a Passat and an Octavia - meh. Much the same thing really. It was your comment on divorces that confused me - do you really think women (in general) care that much about what car their husband drives? (Note to WindyAnna - no need to get involved )

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Volvo might be old men cars but they give you a sense of security which is appreciated by women. No, no, sorry, Passats are the true potato couch men's cars, for the ones who have become old at 40 years and probably spend most of their time and energies working. Audis might be more or less similar but they give you a sense of elegance which is also liked by women. Skodas too but they give you the idea of a real man who is not bothered with the appearances and is down to earth. Sorry I struggle to see a good reason to buy a Passat.
    Actively seeking out and choosing one might be a little weird. But between a Passat and an Octavia - meh. Much the same thing really. It was your comment on divorces that confused me - do you really think women (in general) care that much about what car their husband drives? (Note to WindyAnna - no need to get involved )

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Sorry I struggle to see a good reason to buy a Passat.
    Be like Milan?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    I quite liked the Corrado - nearly bought one a few years ago.
    Ah, well sorry about that.

What the hell has divorcing got to do with it? If I took your posts seriously, I would call you a fool.

Besides, I thought Volvos were supposed to be the most boring cars in the world.
    Volvo might be old men cars but they give you a sense of security which is appreciated by women. No, no, sorry, Passats are the true potato couch men's cars, for the ones who have become old at 40 years and probably spend most of their time and energies working. Audis might be more or less similar but they give you a sense of elegance which is also liked by women. Skodas too but they give you the idea of a real man who is not bothered with the appearances and is down to earth. Sorry I struggle to see a good reason to buy a Passat.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

What the hell has divorcing got to do with it? If I took your posts seriously, I would call you a fool.

Besides, I thought Volvos were supposed to be the most boring cars in the world.
    That is what I meant, not the scirrocco.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Anyone remember the Scirrocco. That was a good VW.

The Passat is the most boring car in the world. No wonder is mostly bought in germanic countries. If you are married and don't worry too much about divorcing then it might be a good deal though.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by To BI or not to BI? View Post
    Real men do not drive anything with more than 2 wheels
    Correct. You win the prize.

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    Real men do not drive anything with less than 8 wheels.
    Real men do not drive anything with more than 2 wheels

Leave a comment:

Working...
X