• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: AV on OS2

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "AV on OS2"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    What were your reasons for wanting NT 3.5?
    Proper multitasking, and not crashing all the time. Developing multimedia software on Win3.1 was often a case of having to reboot after each debug session, and Win95 wasn't a whole lot better. Things only really improved with NT. I actually ran NT3.51 with the NT4 alpha shell for a while - remember that?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    IBM still deliver OS/2 as its the OS for the zSeries HMC (although thats going over to Linux as I speak.) There is a company here in Germany who have taken over OS/2 from IBM and are still actively developing for it and there is the open source OS/2 project.
    My understanding that the reason why IBM can't just make the OS/2 product Open Source, is large chunks of the code were developed by MS (and are shared with the long dead Win 3.0 code base) and MS would sue the pants off IBM if they tried it. Probably lots of MS patents in there too.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Who was it who originally developed OS/2? Oh yes, it was Microsoft. People tend to forget that.

I only saw OS/2 once, and I don't know why, just somebody set it up to look at. Where I worked back then us developers wanted to run NT3.5, but the company wouldn't stump up the cash for the 16Mb of RAM it needed, so everybody was stuck using Win3.1 and then Win95 on 4Mb machines. That's why Windows flourished.
    OS/2 was a joint effort >v1.3 IBM & Microsoft
    NT was in the early days of OS/2 (up to v2.0???)still vapourware
    agree with the analysis on windows winning

What were your reasons for wanting NT 3.5?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I loved developing software under OS/2. Fantastic API.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    yup the germans want a non-Microsft strategic product
    Who was it who originally developed OS/2? Oh yes, it was Microsoft. People tend to forget that.

I only saw OS/2 once, and I don't know why, just somebody set it up to look at. Where I worked back then us developers wanted to run NT3.5, but the company wouldn't stump up the cash for the 16Mb of RAM it needed, so everybody was stuck using Win3.1 and then Win95 on 4Mb machines. That's why Windows flourished.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    IBM still deliver OS/2 as its the OS for the zSeries HMC (although thats going over to Linux as I speak.) There is a company here in Germany who have taken over OS/2 from IBM and are still actively developing for it and there is the open source OS/2 project.
    yup the germans want a non-Microsft strategic product

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    flip OS/2 that takes me back

Lan Server was a decent product

desktop was a no no because of it's hardware requirements.. although there were many who tried

herd mentality meant that windows took over although it did provide a nice niche market for some time

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That's probably because they can't find anyone who knows how to move away from it

Seriously, OS/2 is effectively a not supported OS that will never be developed further - one really need to move away from it ASAP.
    That is truer than you think. They run a project in 2000 to try and enable the same functionality on a Windows PC so that they could move away from it but it just ended up with the users having 2 PC's on the desk, one OS \ 2 and the other NT4...

OS \ 2 skills were virtually non existent.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by kirk View Post
    weren't ATM's all running OS\2 up until very recently?

IMHO Microsoft have made the Windows Operating System (at least at the back end) very stable and secure - if the admin knows what he's doing then it's one of the best OS's there is. Even as a firewall! (ISA Server)
    Not all ATMs, no. Although NCR were very large customers.

OS/2 Antivirus? What are you connected to on the outside world? Couldn't you place a windows machine in the line as a firewall? Establish virtual drives on't windoze boxes and let them handle virus checking?

Churchill - In "Hursley Park ~1986" mode!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    True: Goodnight

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
    Unless you're patching the kernel itself you should never need to reboot any OS, unless it has a retarded file locking scheme where an in memory process cannot be swapped out on the disk...
    Like I said, IBM themselves recommend migrating to Linux and Java. The one thing they don't recommend is using OS/2. It's dead Jim.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    uptime for a few boxes almost 2 months now, the main reason for reboot is application of patches.
    Unless you're patching the kernel itself you should never need to reboot any OS, unless it has a retarded file locking scheme where an in memory process cannot be swapped out on the disk...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    Woolwich and Barclays still use OS/2 for some systems...although Woolwich is no more obviously.
    That's probably because they can't find anyone who knows how to move away from it

Seriously, OS/2 is effectively a not supported OS that will never be developed further - one really need to move away from it ASAP.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    The irony I think is that the only OS that can probably run those OS/2 programs would be Windows.

I used OS/2 ages ago, in the time when Windows 3.1 was around, but nothing better - IMO, it's time is gone and your client should move away from the past into the future.

HTH

Woolwich and Barclays still use OS/2 for some systems...although Woolwich is no more obviously.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X