• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oil

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oil"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Petrol is one of the lighter fractions of hydrocarbon chains distilled from crude oil, but that doesn’t mean it necessarily has to come from crude oil. And depending on the oil quality, you might have plentiful supply of crude to supply demand but still a shortage of petrol.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg13217913.000.html

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I remember an ex-girlfriend of a mate of mine saying that she couldn't why everyone was worried about the price of oil because she only put oil in once a month or so. She was more worried about the price of petrol...
    You may laugh but I caught some of BBC news at ten yesterday, and Gavin Estler, economics editor explained that "petrol comes from oil".

John Craven's newsround was more intellectually challenging in its day than both the BBC and ITV main evening news programmes are now.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I remember an ex-girlfriend of a mate of mine saying that she couldn't why everyone was worried about the price of oil because she only put oil in once a month or so. She was more worried about the price of petrol...
    couldn't understand?

HTH

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Wait until oil hits $200, then these will be practically given away.
    Yes but £1 will buy $10.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    must admit I'm hankering after a R8
    Wait until oil hits $200, then these will be practically given away.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Cheap as chips then.

I'll get my V8 on order forthwith.
    must admit I'm hankering after a R8

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Year ------------------------------------------Money of - --- Inflation
    ---------------------------------------- ----the day --------- adjusted

1864 - Pennsylvania oil boom $8.06 $104.35
    1876 - Russian oil exports start 2.56 48.64
    1948 - Rebuilding post World War Two 1.99 16.74
    1974 - Arab oil embargo 11.58 47.54
    1979 - Iranian revolution 31.61 88.13
    1980 - Iran-Iraq war starts 36.83 90.46
    1990 - Iraq's invasion of Kuwait 23.73 36.76
    1998 - Asian economic crisis 12.72 16.22
    2003 - China 2nd biggest oil consumer 38.27 40.83
    +2007 Year-to-date average 67.38 67.38

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Whale oil?
    Crude oil. Same tulip we use today.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If you ignore UK taxation on fuel then price of oil is cheap (for the motorist).

100 years ago it had the same price, so what? Back then only rich people used cars that were driven on petrol. Right now price of oil affects a lot more people than before, even in the 70s.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    PS. In real terms, adjusted for inflation, oil was more than $100/barrel in 1864

HTH
    Whale oil?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Oil is priced in dollars.

OPEC control the pricing through production.

If the dollar falls in value, what do you think happens to the price of oil?

Does it get cheaper or does the price per barrel rise as the dollar falls?

Well, done, you now understand why the cost of a barrel of oil priced in dollars is rising.

PS. In real terms, adjusted for inflation, oil was more than $100/barrel in 1864

HTH

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    What I find interesting is the parallel between the price of oil and a frog in water on a stove.

Small incremnents are fine - but a massive increment causes pain.

I say double the price to $200 now and get some cars off the road. Also will cause goods made in China to reflect the cost of shipping - we need more manufacturing in this country.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Just filled up..how TF can 4 star be cheaper than diesel??
    4 star? You must have filled up in the 80s.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    The Treasury is saying in real terms petrol tax is 11% cheaper than x years ago.... so lets keep the escalator going!

Just filled up..how TF can 4 star be cheaper than diesel??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X