• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Prebooked holiday prior to signing contract - what to do"

Collapse

• chef
    replied
    Agreed, i'd tell them asap that you'll be "unavailable for work from.. to ... . " i've done it several times, has never been a problem, atleast the agent/client knows this in advance and if its a problem can find a workaround (i.e get someone else in for 2 days or smooth it over with End Business), if you leave it right up to the wire then your dumping your agent/client in the tulip and they wont thank you for it.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I've almost always had a holiday booked whenever I've signed a new contract - I've always told them up front and it's never been a problem. If it had been I wouldn' have taken the contracts!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If they don't like it, then you could always use your substitution clause while you are away.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Get into a situation where you're just about to sign, then drop it in Columbo-style "just one more thing..." with the agent.

You are giving a couple of months notice so the client won't see it as a showstopper. The agent will be a tiny tiny bit disappointed because it's 2 weeks less commission for him: but the scent of money will be in his nostrils by then so he won't break the deal over it either.

If you try and negotiate it after signing, depending on what's in your contract, the agent could potentially claim against you for failing to provide services over the holiday period

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Negotiate it with the client, if it's a long way into the contract; mention it to the agent if it's soon.

Have you got anything lined up? If not, you're a braver man than I in leaving your job with nothing to go to...

Leave a comment:

• ChrisM
    replied
    Thanks for the input.

Holiday is for 2 weeks and is about 6 weeks into a 3month rolling contract. It is a really good contract that I would like to grab, but cancellation of the holiday isn't an option as my other half can't change her leave. I understand I should be dictating the times I'm available as a contractor but obviously don't wanna rock the boat for when it comes round to contract renewal time.

I think I'm bordering on breaking it to the client after I've signed the contract but what I want to make sure is that can I be sued for breach of contract if I disappear for 2 weeks out of 12 - I'm guessing the answer depends on the wording of the contract.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    Negotiate with the client, most wont mind, or you could cancel the holiday, the way to look at is:

If Holiday cost < daily rate x 2??
    AND client doesn't want you to fo on holiday

THEN
    cancel !!!

you can normally get some of the holiday cost back as well.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Negotiate with the client, most wont mind, or you could cancel the holiday, the way to look at is:

If Holiday cost < daily rate x 2??
    AND client doesn't want you to fo on holiday

THEN
    cancel !!!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I'd just tell them up front. They may not mind at all. On the other hand, if you casually tell your manager at 5.30 on a Friday that you're taking the next 2 weeks off and to hell with his schedule, he's likely to rethink his staff requirements.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisM View Post
    Hi guys,

First post, first time contracting. I've handed my notice in with my employer and am currently negotiating to get my first contract. Question is, with a holiday already planned in early next year for 2 weeks what's the best approach (bearing in mind between me and my missus we've already blown the 3k on the holiday so I won't be cancelling).

Do I,

a) Negotiate this with the agent and get it written into the contract so I'm not shafted down the line

b) Sign the contract and negotiate this with the client

c) Get a job down tescos until after the holiday

Reading some posts holidays seem to be a grey area for contractors. Don't want to end up taking on my first job and then finding myself in a mess in terms of not being able to take the time off.

Any help appreciated

Cheers,
    Chris
    How long is the Holiday after the contract starts?

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    It is a tricky one. If its a good contract then take it and don't mention the holiday, then play it by ear and try and casually throw it in the mix when you've got your brownie points up with the client. They'll hopefully smile and say no problem, if they say NO, then its time for Plan B (?). In my current gig I accidently 'forgot' to tell them my Mrs was expecting a month or so into the contract.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Hi guys,

First post, first time contracting. I've handed my notice in with my employer and am currently negotiating to get my first contract. Question is, with a holiday already planned in early next year for 2 weeks what's the best approach (bearing in mind between me and my missus we've already blown the 3k on the holiday so I won't be cancelling).

Do I,

a) Negotiate this with the agent and get it written into the contract so I'm not shafted down the line

b) Sign the contract and negotiate this with the client

c) Get a job down tescos until after the holiday

Reading some posts holidays seem to be a grey area for contractors. Don't want to end up taking on my first job and then finding myself in a mess in terms of not being able to take the time off.

Any help appreciated

Cheers,
    Chris

Go with option B). You should dictate the days, time etc that you work and therefore should be able to tae days off when it suits you. Obviously dependent on the nature of the work you do you should keep the clients goals/milestones etc in mind when you do this.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    First post so took a while till the moderator cleared it. I'm sure that's why there's no replies. And not that I'm immediately dislikeable.

I.e. bump.

Anyone got any advice?
    Wrong. You'll fit in nicely!
    Sasguru

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied

Anyone got any advice?
    Nope.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisM
    replied
    First post so took a while till the moderator cleared it. I'm sure that's why there's no replies. And not that I'm immediately dislikeable.

I.e. bump.

Anyone got any advice?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X