• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New gig in Edinburgh - Advice needed"

Collapse

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    That made me smile... now £1400 pcm for my 2 bed and really it is lovely, money welll spent, but it's not available the now.

I would have thought a Londoner would have a big enough wallet to afford some decent

and you call 1400pcm something decent , more like luxury !. I am only here cos as opposed to sitting on the bench so gotta watch the pennies considering costs and tulipe rate.

would not mind paying that much if it includes good lass to warm me up every night

scoot aint 2bed too much if you are just contracting out here.... unless the other bedroom is a dungeon... just curious

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Where ?

I am getting tired of Edinburgh Now. Still living out of suitcases in B&B 4 weeks on.

Its suprising how many sh*t hole accommodations that are available in this town. I would not even live in some of the accommodations I have seen as a student!

css_jay99
    That made me smile... now £1400 pcm for my 2 bed and really it is lovely, money welll spent, but it's not available the now.

I would have thought a Londoner would have a big enough wallet to afford some decent

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Taxis

Hope you got it - sorry for my quick typing.
    Taxis are notoriously expensive In Edinburgh, hence the big players (like RBS) run their own 'taxi-service' between sites. Typical Scots you may say, anything to save money.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I think he means only use if client pays.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    - Only use taxis (most expensive in the UK - INC LONDON) unless company pays, as most business places in walking distance

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Edinburgh

1) Flights:
    - On own expenses: Afraid only choice is Easyjet (cheapest by far)
    - On company expenses: 30-seater Scotair (from City Airport) - check in 15 mins before flight, walk out in seconds, full catering (inc. alcohol)
    2) Accommodation:
    - If you stay there Mon-Fri: Lots of hotels for less than £ 50 p/d - ie £ 200 for Mon-Thu (inc)
    - If you stay there Mon-Sun: Rent a studio/1-bed for £ 600 as close to the centre or work as poss (avoid Leith=dump) thus minimising your transport (see below)
    £) Transport:
    - Only use taxis (most expensive in the UK - INC LONDON) unless company pays, as most business places in walking distance
    - Use Blue Airport bus to/frm the Airport (£ 5 return, takes less than a cab to get there!)
    Edinburgh is by far the most civilised and sophisticated place (voted best one to live in te UK for 3 years in a row) and has the fittest women anywhere in the UK

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by basshead View Post
    You mean Berwick-upon-Tweed? Yeah that place is rocking compared with Edinburgh.
    Where ?

I am getting tired of Edinburgh Now. Still living out of suitcases in B&B 4 weeks on.

Its suprising how many sh*t hole accommodations that are available in this town. I would not even live in some of the accommodations I have seen as a student!

Looking for room share in a decent part of town is so difficult with all sh*t rooms beign advertised as luxury .... bright ... nice...

Dont this people know the meaning of such words

OK ignore R&B i just need someplace to hang out. I am getting restless in B&B's now

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Stay South of the Border

HTH
    You mean Berwick-upon-Tweed? Yeah that place is rocking compared with Edinburgh.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    You like R&B and your girls hot. I hope your not for real

1. George street is poor, very poor. Shiney but with no atmosphere.

2. Clubs in Edinburgh are ok. Thankfully not a huge amount of rnb. Mostly house or commercial stuff.

Glasgow I believe has some rnb nights, mainly the Tunnel I think now.

Glasgow in general is head and shoulders above Edinburgh for clubs but pubs in Edinburgh are better imho.

RnB aint that big up here mate so you may have to expand your musical tastes a bit

Oh and it aint London

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Does this mean that apart from the £5 a day claim, That I can also claim for the occassional(or all) overnight meal away from home provided I have a receipt ?

css_jay99.

I cant even surf CUK at my work place !

what a shame
    Yes. I used to go to Sainsbury's on a Monday and buy my weekly shop and put the whole lot through.

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    Does this mean that apart from the £5 a day claim, That I can also claim for the occassional(or all) overnight meal away from home provided I have a receipt ?

css_jay99.

what a shame
    Yes, if you are staying away from home you can claim for breakfast and evening meal as well as the subsistance.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    at that price, you must be minting it !

Just back from a club in the westend (george street i think) and it made me laugh!. It was like beign back in the 80s. The girls here certainly dont have a dress sense, the dancing was even worse. mmm maybe i better hand in my notice and come back to london 1 year of this and I going to go mad.

css_jay99
    Excellent trolling and I’m sure Rantor and other Scots will be along shortly to respond.

I must say that I did find the Scottish fillies attractive; not as easy on the eye as the Irish but definately preferable to the Welsh

Also the accent is the best of the Celtic wimmin, so no matter what their dress sense is get stuck in & fill your boots…

HTH

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    £5 a day is a working away from home allowance - no receipts neded.

Food is a separate thing that you can claim for, if you have receipts, providing it's outside your "normal" work - e.g. if you are normally based at home and are working and staying away from home, then you can claim some food - breakfast and tea being the norm.

css_jay99.

what a shame

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Make your way to York Place that's a good start... No. 26 will take you there. Many pubs, VUE, restaurants, I'll be in the Whisky society but you need to be a member

Or you could go up to Old Town and potter near Grass market... No. 12 in that case...

Look up www.s1play.com select Edinburgh hit go the list is endless

Also look up http://www.list.co.uk/
    Last edited by scooterscot; 9 November 2007, 17:19.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    They refused to put it in.

Well I guess its better than staying on the bench.

OK you Edinburgh contractors out there that still have life left in them, please tell me where to party during the week cos i dont fancy spending my night pacing the 4 corners of a B&B room .

css_jay99

by the way do i need to keep a receipt for my £5 a day food allowance?
    £5 a day is a working away from home allowance - no receipts neded.

Food is a separate thing that you can claim for, if you have receipts, providing it's outside your "normal" work - e.g. if you are normally based at home and are working and staying away from home, then you can claim some food - breakfast and tea being the norm.

My new contract Qdos suggested I needed a clause so that I could give notice, in case anyone implied MOO - now it just says "The Supplier is only able to terminate this Agreement on completion of the (Contract) period" so no notice, but no MOO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X