• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What class are you?"

Collapse

• chicane
    replied
    Those complaining about folk who use the word 'chav' to perceive themselves as being 'above' others have never had the misfortune of interacting with real 'chavs'. Real chavs are defined by behaviour and attitude rather than background, appearance and dress sense.

Real chavs live their lives with no respect or consideration for the honest taxpaying folk who pay for the sportswear, cigarettes and alcohol so loved by the chav population. The reason people look down on these idiots is precisely for this reason.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I'm good mates with many of those people from the kind of backgrounds and schools you mention - some of them from pretty wealthy families by any stretch of the imagination, and snooty 'upper classes' isn't a term I'd use for them, and for sure is one they'd be deeply offended by - there is a fundemental working class streak running through most Aussies, no matter what kind of money their families come from.
    The british equivalent would also be offended as the majority of people from the exclusive UK schools wouldn't snub you or exclude because of your accent and initial appearance and manner. Some would though and there is a similar small group in Oz.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    But is it a good thing that your class should be defined by how much money you have? It can be argued that the upside of the British class system is that your class can also be defined by your manners and behaviour.
    Now we are getting somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    If it's manners and behaviour then some people on here are underclass

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Holland, USA, Australia.
    Holland not have a class system? Oh deary deary me.

And Denmark is worse than UK: if you don't have a Director who went to 'that' school you can go whistle, and if you have two, you have to beat customers off with a stick...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    In my experience, having lived in the countries mentioned - the class system isn't based on what school you went to, or what your parents did or any of that nonsense - yes there is rich/poor snobbery but it's not based on background but on current achievments and how much wonga you now have.
    But is it a good thing that your class should be defined by how much money you have? It can be argued that the upside of the British class system is that your class can also be defined by your manners and behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Sydney and Melbourne have a small but snotty 'upper class' based around a number of exclusive private schools, pretty much like the UK.
    I'm good mates with many of those people from the kind of backgrounds and schools you mention - some of them from pretty wealthy families by any stretch of the imagination, and snooty 'upper classes' isn't a term I'd use for them, and for sure is one they'd be deeply offended by - there is a fundemental working class streak running through most Aussies, no matter what kind of money their families come from.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    In my experience, having lived in the countries mentioned - the class system isn't based on what school you went to, or what your parents did or any of that nonsense - yes there is rich/poor snobbery but it's not based on background but on current achievments and how much wonga you now have.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    The great thing about the UK is that class cannot be "bought" with money.

That's not true, if you go back to the time of the great plague, yesterdays Baldrick became Squire of the manor in a very short time, due to population reduction/ demand for Labour/ wage inflation. These people soon wore the badges of their new class, which their money had bought them. Many of the British aristocracy have a Baldrick not so far back down the family tree, so it could be argued they have no class.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Holland, USA, Australia.
    Sydney and Melbourne have a small but snotty 'upper class' based around a number of exclusive private schools, pretty much like the UK.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Holland, USA, Australia.
    I have only been to Australia and I have to say that class is certainly defined by money (by those who have it anyway). If you live in any society there is a class system. It may vary in its effect but it still exists, and it always will.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Which countries are those snaw?
    Holland, USA, Australia.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Well having lived in several countries where the class system is almost negligible I'd say that's patently not true. I wouldn't say doesn't exist because there is always rich and poor, but class in the British sense isn't a world wide phenomenon.
    Which countries are those snaw?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    There will always be a class system for as long as we have the rights to do as we please and pick the groups to which we wish to belong. We are tribal beings and need to feel a sense of attachment that defines us. The great thing about the UK is that class cannot be "bought" with money.
    So to say that class is an outdated anachronism merely shows a lack of understanding of basic human nature.
    Well having lived in several countries where the class system is almost negligible I'd say that's patently not true. I wouldn't say doesn't exist because there is always rich and poor, but class in the British sense isn't a world wide phenomenon.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    SAS has used two words today he doesn't really understand the meaning of :

-Class
    -Humility

Could that be because he has neither?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X