• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who lives on a planet like this?"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Very probably.

Unless his tea was unusually cold.
    Or those pesky white Krikkit robots have been up to no good again.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Millennium Falcon?

Pah.

Death Star or nothing...
    A fully operational DEATH STAAAR

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I did, yes.
    probably

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    But I guess you knew that.
    I did, yes.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    improbable
    Thats the whole point!

Infinite Improbability Drive: It is based on a particular perception of quantum theory: a subatomic particle is most likely to be in a particular place, such as near the nucleus of an atom, but there is also a small probability of it being found very far from its point of origin (for example close to a distant star). Thus, a body could travel from place to place without passing through the intervening space (or hyperspace, for that matter), if you had sufficient control of probability.

But I guess you knew that.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    The 'Heart of Gold' would pi55 all over your paltry crate's.
    improbable

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Your point is?
    I thought it was obvious!!

But embarassingly I knew that too but there was no way I was going to admit that!!
    Last edited by cailin maith; 18 October 2007, 09:03. Reason: Can't spell!

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    The 'Heart of Gold' would pi55 all over your paltry crate's.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Geeks.....
    Your point is?

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    It'll do .5 past light speed, kid.
    Geeks.....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Millennium Falcon?

Pah.

Death Star or nothing...
    It'll do .5 past light speed, kid.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I doubt if a liquid water laden planet much larger than Earth would have any land to speak of.

The stronger gravity would mean the surface was flatter to start with, with mountains lower and rounder for example. But also there would be more energy in the wind and the waves, which would erode faster what land there was above sea level.

On a planet with 2g, the sea (in a modest wind) would be flatter than on Earth, like a surreal looking giant mill pond, and waves would race across it faster than on Earth and break on the shore like a whipcrack, pulverizing rocks and shingle.

Also, being flat there would be less land to impede the wind and more expanse of water to strengthen hurricanes. So you'd probably get some pretty spectacular two hundred mile an hour winds, and the driving rain would batter away even more at what few granite crags still managed to poke out of the water.

That could all be wrong though. Nature is full of surprises - maybe continental drift and uplift works faster on a larger planet and counteracts the faster erosion.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Indeed, and since the prime directive of all species is to survive, then branching out in to space, to colonise and exploit other planets and resouces is a perfectly acceptable and natural thing to do, if such species are capable of it.

I'm only aggrieved that I won't be alive to be part of this new frontier spirit.
    Don't give up hope - zeity has managed it. He's a bit stuck on the exploiting bit though, what with his dearth of workable cunning plans.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    the planet is over subscribed, it can't sustain us in food or energy at the current levels and no amount of money or good will can change this.
    Indeed, and since the prime directive of all species is to survive, then branching out in to space, to colonise and exploit other planets and resouces is a perfectly acceptable and natural thing to do, if such species are capable of it.

I'm only aggrieved that I won't be alive to be part of this new frontier spirit.

Infact, I'm more than aggrieved, I'm seriously peeved off about it.

(Always fancied having my own Millenium Falcon (sp?) and blasting off in to space to explore and have adventures, as opposed to fixing yet another worthless PC)

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    Of course I want this too, I have the natural curiosity about the world around me and I want to improve things.
    What I consider important is improving life here on THIS planet to the degree where we can afford to go exploring elsewhere.

Hopefully we can do this before we HAVE to find somewhere else to live because we've messed this planet up to the point where it can no longer support ANY kind of life.
    This debate reminds me of a couple I know who put off having children until everything was just right - nice house, good income, fairly secure job, seen a bit of the world, etc.

They never had kids, and now it is too late for them.

You've got to smell the flowers along the way...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X