• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New tricks for squirrels"

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I reckon you should get a wee bit of rat poison and inject it in the nuts you're feeding them...
    Now there's a thought, less messy than shooting them, but how do I avoid killing everything else in the process !? How do I stop the resident buzzards from eating the dead squirrels ? Back to shooting I think. We've got the odd pocket of red squirrels in my neck of the woods, the greys arrived in the last 3 or 4 years and are spreading fast. I think they do a lot of damage to the native bird life also.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    You could always teach the squirrels to explode...
    (Think lemmings... Not the animal, the computer game)...

Leave a comment:

• Jammy Dodger
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Need new tricks to teach my tamed squirrels - so far they jump on my knee to get nuts like wallnuts, jump about 1 meter up to grab my hang and eat nut while hanging upside down, or just climb me for the nut, any ideas what else should I teach them, maybe stealing people's money, rings etc?

Some photoes here.
    how about the "statue" trick ?...... Mr Air Arms .22 assistance is required though......with a nice field pellet in the bonce

Mr Fox likes them

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Those squirrels are nice, friendly, cute, fluffy - totally opposite of you, so who is the pest now?

Local red squirrels are not as friendly and they spend more time hiding on the trees, frankly they were not strong enough species to survive in mainland England, so they are now seeking refuge in Scotland
    Here's a wee interesting quote for you AtW :

The situation has now reached a crisis point: there are only an estimated 160,000 red squirrels left in Britain, whereas there are more than 2 million grays. Without human intervention, reds could be gone from England in 10 years.
    I reckon you should get a wee bit of rat poison and inject it in the nuts you're feeding them - you'll be proving your animal lover credentials that way. Taking it for the team, so to speak ...

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Move along now - nothing to see here...

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4489792.stm

Russians, squirrels, killings.

Does NickyG know about this?

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    I remember a school pal of mine finding a rather poorly-looking squirrel, and, being a kindly lad, decided to take it home and look after it. Upon picking it up, it turned into a razor-clawed demonic psychopath, and ripped his arm to shreds.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    We've just had a grey squirrel invasion and I've lined up a couple of shooting mates to perform a cull. Just waiting for the neighbours to go on holiday.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    They are not suicidal - what happens is that older squirrel push away younger squirrels to make space for new baby squirrels, so squirrels have to emmigrate and sadly many meet their doom
    All hail the squirrel king!!!!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    Have you noticed it is that time of year again when squirrels become suicidal? Got a simultaneous double hit in the car yesterday.
    They are not suicidal - what happens is that older squirrel push away younger squirrels to make space for new baby squirrels, so squirrels have to emmigrate and sadly many meet their doom

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    AtW Don't want to burst your bubble but you do realise grey squirrels (Ones I suspect you're feeding) are considered a pest in the UK?
    Those squirrels are nice, friendly, cute, fluffy - totally opposite of you, so who is the pest now?

Local red squirrels are not as friendly and they spend more time hiding on the trees, frankly they were not strong enough species to survive in mainland England, so they are now seeking refuge in Scotland

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Have you noticed it is that time of year again when squirrels become suicidal? Got a simultaneous double hit in the car yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Teach your squirrels to eat meat, preferably russian in origin.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    They grey american kind, yes.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    AtW Don't want to burst your bubble but you do realise grey squirrels (Ones I suspect you're feeding) are considered a pest in the UK?

They're not native to the UK and they're eradicting the native red squirrel - which looks like it might disappear in the near future if their numbers aren't reduced significantly.
    Are you dissing the immigrants?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X