• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The most overrated place you've ever been"

Collapse

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    The Macdonald Randolph Hotel in Oxford: a pigsty. Crap staff, crap rooms, long waits to be served in the restaurant, cold, tulipty, crap, I could go on.
    And the ****ers bump your car when you leave them the keys :-(

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    The Macdonald Randolph Hotel in Oxford: a pigsty. Crap staff, crap rooms, long waits to be served in the restaurant, cold, tulipty, crap, I could go on.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
    Paris
    Naples
    Didcot
    Naples isn't overrated - everyone know's it's tulip!

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by mace View Post
    Go somewhere considered cr*p for your next holiday, then you'll never be disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised by Birmingham when I went

Most unexpectedly pleasant:-

1. Tallinn
    2. Varadero, Cuba (went in mid 90s)
    3. Kenya
    4. Bruges
    5. Heidelburg, Germany
    6. Avignon
    7. Skiing in Andorra

Most disappointing:-

1. Brussels
    2. Athens
    3. Majorca in April
    4. Madrid in Summer
    5. Lake District
    6. Cornwall (when it rains nothing to do)
    7. Skiing in the Alps
    8. Hamburg
    You can’t compare the Alps to Andorra, Out of the five times I have been skiing I went to Soldeu the 1st and 5th time and enjoyed it immensely, it’s excellent value for money and the lift system is superb but you can do Soldeu/Pasa in a day.

The other 3 times were all in the French Alps, try the 3 valleys and though you may be disappointed in the price you certainly couldn’t complain about the skiing.

Leave a comment:

• Devlin
    replied
    Sydney, LA and Paris. In that order.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Zurich. There is more life in Croydon.

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    Imho

Go somewhere considered cr*p for your next holiday, then you'll never be disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised by Birmingham when I went

Most unexpectedly pleasant:-

1. Tallinn
    2. Varadero, Cuba (went in mid 90s)
    3. Kenya
    4. Bruges
    5. Heidelburg, Germany
    6. Avignon
    7. Skiing in Andorra

Most disappointing:-

1. Brussels
    2. Athens
    3. Majorca in April
    4. Madrid in Summer
    5. Lake District
    6. Cornwall (when it rains nothing to do)
    7. Skiing in the Alps
    8. Hamburg

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I'll give Perranporth a go as we're always down that way, we live near Bristol so Cornwall, Devon and West Wales are never more than a couple of hours drive.
    Perranporth: Yikes! A Job Centre of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    London.... i really struggle to see what the fuss is about. Possibly the second dirtiest city i've ever been to (the dirtiest being Chennai). People seem to have some sort of weird closed off "don't talk to me" attitude too which i've never seen anywhere else (not that i'm constantly talking to other people).
    Oh... and its way too expensive and crowded

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I'll give Perranporth a go as we're always down that way, we live near Bristol so Cornwall, Devon and West Wales are never more than a couple of hours drive.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Mevagissey is crap as well, the people in the know go to Fowey and St Mawes though the 'Hooray Henry' crowd can spoil things if you go at the wrong time.
    Thought Mevagissey was OK... but once you've been around all 0.1 sq miles of it, walked out to the harbour wall and back, eaten in the 2 restuarants... err that's all there is to do. Still, as someone else mentioned Newquay is far more of a hole so in comparison maybe it is the Riviera. Perranporth was by far the nicest town we visited in Cornwall recently.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post

St. Austel. "The Cornish Riviera" it is not!!!!
    Mevagissey is crap as well, the people in the know go to Fowey and St Mawes though the 'Hooray Henry' crowd can spoil things if you go at the wrong time.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    The honeymoon suite....

Leave a comment:

• ContractIn
    replied
    Miami, reminded me of magaluf with tramps on every corner.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    actually i think he's on the a303 or somesuch with his caravan which, i will admit, doesn't sound particularly promising but i believe you two have a lot in common in terms of living life on the edge as it were.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X