• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Woking

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Woking"

Collapse

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Mr. Robin, try Guildford too. It's a quaint town with some great countryside around and only 35 mins from London. St. Albans is a good bet as well, not sure about house prices - probably similar to Guildford.
    St. Albans: Nice place, but property is very expensive. I think a bit too expensive, as though St A is decent enough, it's not that bloomin' great. Also, it's one of those places that, unless you fancy travelling via London on the train every time, is a bit tricky to get to other places from.

Watch out (seriously) for flooding in some parts of St A, if you do think of moving there.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    Bugger! It's getting worse by the minute! Perhaps I should scrub Woking from the list then... As mentioned, one of the big factors was the fast train links to the city and if, as someone mentioned, there is no/little parking and the busses are w@nk then it is not even worth persuing further...

St. Albans was the next one down on the list... perhaps I'll turn my attention there now.

Oh, I am moving from North Somerset. Grew up in Croydon though so have already experienced a sprawling chavtropolis
    Mr. Robin, try Guildford too. It's a quaint town with some great countryside around and only 35 mins from London. St. Albans is a good bet as well, not sure about house prices - probably similar to Guildford.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    no/little parking and the busses are w@nk
    I may have been a little pessimistic over the parking looks like there's a fair bit. No idea what time of day google got that picture though.

Busses are a ball-ache though

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Bugger! It's getting worse by the minute! Perhaps I should scrub Woking from the list then... As mentioned, one of the big factors was the fast train links to the city and if, as someone mentioned, there is no/little parking and the busses are w@nk then it is not even worth persuing further...

St. Albans was the next one down on the list... perhaps I'll turn my attention there now.

Oh, I am moving from North Somerset. Grew up in Croydon though so have already experienced a sprawling chavtropolis

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I went to woking once 10 years ago. I can't remember one thing about it.

I do remember someone I worked with (at that time) lived there in a rented house. One middle of the night they were woken (or should that be wokin') by a kerfuffle outside, 3 masked men with baseball bats were bundling their bloody next door neighbour into a car.

hmmm, i hear it's gone down hill since then
    As a PFY I used to deliver pizzas on a moped, prefered not to go to Sheerwater after being attacked in the street with a baseball bat. Stupid twat didn't wait until I was off the bike though, so I just rode off.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Probably going to be moving house fairly soon
    Moving from where?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I went to woking once 10 years ago. I can't remember one thing about it.

I do remember someone I worked with (at that time) lived there in a rented house. One middle of the night they were woken (or should that be wokin') by a kerfuffle outside, 3 masked men with baseball bats were bundling their bloody next door neighbour into a car.

hmmm, i hear it's gone down hill since then

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Used to be a nice little village with a couple of butchers, greengrocers and several good pubs.
    Graham Turners, butchers, Horsell. Last bastion of hormone free, 21+ days matured, decent service, cheaper than thin grey bits of "organic" Chavsco chicken, meat.

Chicken tastes like, well, really so tasty you don't need to add a "I feel like Chicken Tonight" aspartamed, carcinogenic, "Sunset Red™" saturated smothering of artificial flavours on it.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    For Knaphill, see Send/Addlestone

I'm afraid it's like any town with a council that's had the threat of their budget hit unless they build 1m council houses for liebour voters.

Even in the 6 years since I've lived in the area (I don't live in Woking but around 5 miles from it in a nice village) it's gone downhill like a lot of places. But you should hear the neighbours saying about Woking: "...doley tramps with stamps pushing prams with illegitimate kids and stella..."

Eventually, I'm off to the fair land of Eastern Europe like that milanbenes bloke... this country really is turning into a 3rd world shithole....
    Last edited by hyperD; 18 September 2007, 16:04.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    They even have a Wellsian martian sculpture. Oh dear!

Concerned you think it's a reeking hole, DBA Bloke, care to elaborate?
    Wandered around Woking (saw the Martian sculpture - the ONLY mildly interesting thing there) about 2 years back; was there to attend an interview, and thought I'd get there nice-n-early to take in the "splendours" of H. G. Wells' adopted town... a mistake I regret to this day.

What a place! I suspect that the Martians have invaded Woking, because the folk I saw milling about didn't look very human to me. But then I live in a nicer part of Oxfordshire, well away from riff-raff like Woking's low inhabitants, and work in a quaint town. So I'm a right snob.

I turned down the gig, solely because of Woking being a bog.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I grew up in Knaphill, and would never go back. Used to be a nice little village with a couple of butchers, greengrocers and several good pubs. Now it's all take-aways and estate agents, a soul-less tuliphole of a place.

Woking has several satellite villages, each with their own character, some more salubrious than others, but anywhere you go you'll either need to drive to the Station (parking is v.limited) or catch a bus, adding about an hour to your commute each day.

A few years a go, Woking town-centre on a Saturday night resembled 1980s Beirut - not sure if it's improved any since then.

All in all, I'd say Guildford has more to recommend it, but it is a proper student town now so it may have gone down-hill too.

Leave a comment:

• Jefferson
    replied
    Cheers. Horsell looks alright, as does Knaphill. Other areas mentioned are more Guilford way but perhaps will check them out too. Perhaps I'll give the £1M+ celeb mansions a miss for the moment

I think the martian reference is to do with War of the Worlds? They first landed in Woking!
    £1M+ mansions?
    There's no mansions for £1M round Guildford way.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    They even have a Wellsian martian sculpture. Oh dear!

Concerned you think it's a reeking hole, DBA Bloke, care to elaborate?

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Cheers. Horsell looks alright, as does Knaphill. Other areas mentioned are more Guilford way but perhaps will check them out too. Perhaps I'll give the £1M+ celeb mansions a miss for the moment

I think the martian reference is to do with War of the Worlds? They first landed in Woking!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    Martians?
    In the First World War, and for the first time in the history of man, nations combined to fight against nations using the crude weapons of those days. The Second World War involved every continent on the globe, and men turned to science for new devices of warfare, which reached an unparalleled peak in their capacity for destruction. And now, fought with the terrible weapons of super-science, menacing all mankind and every creature on the Earth comes the War of the Worlds.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X