• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Gig then project stopped"

Collapse

• HankWangford
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Doesn't mean that this one isn't IR35 caught.

Of course, it could be viewed as a penalty clause for early termination, which is how I would argue it if it were ever questioned. Word the invoice carefully, so that it looks more this way than payment for services that you never delivered, though.

I was on a project for Oracle one year when the client terminated it with no notice - Oracle billed 28 days notice for the 58 of us on site on the day they terminated it, as a penalty for early termination with no notice. Worst part was Oracle got their money, and I missed my utilisation bonus because I wasn't working!

fek me, life is too short.........if they come knockin, ce la vie

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by HankWangford View Post
    i also service two other clients during the day......
    Doesn't mean that this one isn't IR35 caught.

Of course, it could be viewed as a penalty clause for early termination, which is how I would argue it if it were ever questioned. Word the invoice carefully, so that it looks more this way than payment for services that you never delivered, though.

I was on a project for Oracle one year when the client terminated it with no notice - Oracle billed 28 days notice for the 58 of us on site on the day they terminated it, as a penalty for early termination with no notice. Worst part was Oracle got their money, and I missed my utilisation bonus because I wasn't working!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Invoke your substitution clause and put some min wage guy in there while you cream off the rest - in the meantime go and get another contract.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    running a "massage" parlour doesn't put other contracts outside of IR35, and probably makes you a "Personal" Services Company anyway.

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    Bonus indeed - nothing like a good inside IR35 pointer to boost the day.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    as long as timesheets are filled out and signed, hector will never know...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    go on your merry way, we will pay you for two weeks....bonus

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    PM came to me, agreed there was no work for the next 2/3 months, acknowledged the 2 weeks notice and said go on your merry way, we will pay you for two weeks but leave your details and i will call when we need u back....bonus
    Nice one!

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    update

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    If you are genuinely not doing anything that A. N. Other, with lesser skills could do more cheaply, then tell the PM this, and make it clear that although you love the PM and all the guys & gals there to bits, it's only right and professional that you toddle off, no hard feelings, and let's all keep in touch, etc.

I'm in a similar position, and that's what I did, in effect. The trick is to make it look like you are doing them a favour.
    PM came to me, agreed there was no work for the next 2/3 months, acknowledged the 2 weeks notice and said go on your merry way, we will pay you for two weeks but leave your details and i will call when we need u back....bonus

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    Tell the client you have got a request from another client who needs
    some important enhancements to xyz software that you developed for them,
    and that by the time you finish this work, you'll be back.

Some clients are just waiting for you to say this, as they feel reluctant
    to let contractors go because they either feel bad/guilty/ about it,
    or that it will burn bridges between you or the agency.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    If you are genuinely not doing anything that A. N. Other, with lesser skills could do more cheaply, then tell the PM this, and make it clear that although you love the PM and all the guys & gals there to bits, it's only right and professional that you toddle off, no hard feelings, and let's all keep in touch, etc.

I'm in a similar position, and that's what I did, in effect. The trick is to make it look like you are doing them a favour.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    I'd do my utmost to get another gig asap on their time, explain to any agencies the position that you do not need to give notice, or at least only one or two days.

Once you get a gig I would expect that the client will be happy to see you go, if not take a week or two off, whilst working for new client.

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba View Post
    [serious]Got to agree with WindyAnna,[/serious] unless of course the true reason the 'project' was stopped is that it became self-aware and escaped, leaving a bloody trail of destruction in its wake, due to you testing the seek-and-destroy software you've been hired to code in the Live environment and not on the Dev platform.

(Sorry - watched the first quarter of an hour of Terminator 3 the other night. Right up to the bit where Arnie put on the Elton John shades.)

Z
    Nope, the company funding have gone into administration.....

I guess four weeks at my rate pushed them over the edge

Leave a comment:

• Dean
    replied
    If you can't stand the work they're lining up for you, have a word with your manager and see if there's something more involving available. The fact that they're happy to pay you to hang around for a couple of months says that you're in demand as far as that role goes. Keep an eye on the up-coming projects to reassure yourself that the work is coming and in the meantime you'll have a great chance to familiarise yourself with the whole of the business and what other prospects there are.

If it's really dragging you down, however, could you ask your manager whether you could take a sabbatical (more or less) until they need you in the office and take on a more casual 3-monther somewhere else?

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
    ...don't burn any bridges! On the oterh hand if you are happy to do dossy work and get paid for it until new projects start then it is a cushy number until then and you may want to hang round.

...prepared to put up with a few weeks of slow time while they still pay me the rate for my real work.

Main thing is to do try to keep the client sweet cos when the new projects do kick off you may want to go back.

Windy
    [serious]Got to agree with WindyAnna,[/serious] unless of course the true reason the 'project' was stopped is that it became self-aware and escaped, leaving a bloody trail of destruction in its wake, due to you testing the seek-and-destroy software you've been hired to code in the Live environment and not on the Dev platform.

(Sorry - watched the first quarter of an hour of Terminator 3 the other night. Right up to the bit where Arnie put on the Elton John shades.)

Z
    Last edited by Zorba; 13 September 2007, 10:18. Reason: clipped the WindyAnna quote a bit

Leave a comment:

Working...
X