• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has anyone been to Beijing?"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    I was given a fried egg a bacon breakfast with chopsticks in Beijing. I asked for a knife and fork and they shrugged their shoulders so I drew a picture of a knife and fork. They thought I was tying to write Chinese and a group of them tried to work out what I was writing.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I've been to Barlinnie -

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I liked it.

Do bother.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Man with one leg should not enter arse kicking competition.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The fish follow the trawler if the captain is wise
    Are you the trawler or the fish?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The fish follow the trawler if the captain is wise

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    It sounds awful, I adore HK, maybe I shouldn't bother.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
    authentic and repulsive/inedible

they were probably taking the cn ut out of you, probably fed you pickled dog tulip
    Last edited by mrdonuts; 6 September 2007, 13:42.

Leave a comment:

• Unwitting Catalyst
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    you mean the chinese food is authentic unlike the chicken curry served down your local

try the gong de lin restaurant near the forbidden city
    No doubt you go in and order in fluent Mandarin, being a bit of a Tim Westwood.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    the wierdest thing I saw there is an Argentine restaurant on one of the outer ring roads.

It has an obelisk a 3rd size of the one in Buenos Aires in the car park and the maitre'd wears military uniform of the argentine army in the 70's.

twighlight zone

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    authentic and repulsive/inedible

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    you mean the chinese food is authentic unlike the chicken curry served down your local

try the gong de lin restaurant near the forbidden city

Leave a comment:

• Unwitting Catalyst
    replied
    Beijing - well worth a peek in

The city is gearing up for the olympics and many of the old hutongs are "redeveloped" (i.e. demolished and replaced with modern hotels / offices). The city is very badly polluted. There are sections of the Great Wall about 90 minutes from the city with cable cars - well worth a visit. I went last January. It was very cold but there were no other tourists there - one of the most memorable things I've ever seen. Visit an internet cafe - they are incredibly smoky and full of young people playing video games. There is a world-famous Peking duck restaurant, where they serve the greasiest duck in the world. The standard of English in the big hotels is good

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    Beijing is a big dirty city and quite boring - I go alot - HK is tonnes better.

the is an area called Shaitain where all the bars are and expats hang out with golddigger local girls.

Hotel bars are another place with their cabaret.

Chinese food there is not what you expect - ask for NO duck skin or you will get a plate of greasy slivers yeuuch - you will be pleased to see a starbucks.

Its hot and humid now or maybe a big sand storm brewing.

Be careful of the tea shops - mega expensive for some *unknown* ;-) reason.

People hack up and spit everywhere - its gross - even inside offices.

All the historical places are nice.

The Silk road market or any other market is full of counterfeit crap - its very difficult to buy something truely chinese.

and in the morning old people walk backwards listening to the radio with one arm in the air.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    it would but Abu Hamza has trouble using a keyboard

Leave a comment:

Working...
X