• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Diana Memorial Service"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    Today my South African colleague wondered why we Brits seem to be obsessed with her.
    Don't forget the Yanks. They won't hear a wrong word said about her.

This joke didn't go down at all well with my Yank colleagues:

Q: What did the mortuary attendant sing?
    A: Zippety Dodi, Zippity Di

I'll get my coat.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Diana was a blonde bimbo slapper good-time-girl who also knew something about media manipulation.
    But it's symptomatic of modern British culture that she's now a saint.
    Oh dear: I need to go and have a lay down, I'm agreeing with sas...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Diana was a blonde bimbo slapper good-time-girl who also knew something about media manipulation.
    But it's symptomatic of modern British culture that she's now a saint.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    All those muppets that say "she was lovely" - did they ever meet her - no, it was just their perception of someone who was in the headlines a lot.

Mind Blair and Brown are !%*&*'s and I've never had the misfortune to meet them (but then again Diana didn't try to bleed me dry or sell out the country)

BA in rant mode

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    I agreed with her, I don't give a tulipe.

However, that doesn't mean I'm anti-monarchy. I just can't stand the OTT attention.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    where's the "down with the royals and anyone who was a royal" choice.

Where is the bastille in London?

Leave a comment:

• robnjc
    replied
    Because we're mostly nostalgia freaks dreaming of glorious empires past . I remember driving to my folks about 3pm the day she died and cursing madly at being unable to find a single station not mouthing platitudes and hagiography.

Message for the UK - get over it!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    German colleague commented that today is a special day for us Brits. I had to ask her why.

NotAllThere
    Today my South African colleague wondered why we Brits seem to be obsessed with her.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Sought FFS
    Sorry sas... must try harder

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I thought the whole thing back then was a complete crock of sh1t and still do. I only wish I had shares in a florists back then.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Oh My Gawd, it was a nightmare.

I was up bright and early that day, as I was supposed to be working on my Super Killer Application (SKA). When working at home I like to work with music in the background, and all the radio was giving was "sombre" music.

I soon got well peed off with that. Once I'd worked my way through my full LP collection, I tried the telly. Same thing. I ventured out to the farm shop to grab some food. Same thing on the radio there.

Tried the local newsagent who did videos. Too late, as anything except utter rubbish was already rented out. "*ç%&/( it was still only 10 o'clock!

By about that time C4 had relented and did the right thing by putting on kiddies cartoons (Sighs of relief throughout the land from parents, no doubt).

By 11 o'clock or so the TV chat shows had started uo. When they sank so low as to dig up the woman (plus husband) who'd done her wedding dress, it was time to give up and hit the pub. I couldn't believe my eyes - the place was heaving.

What was even worse was once the dust had settled a couple of weeks later. The Beeb in its infinite wisdom decided that the nation really needed to catch up with the cancelled episodes of Eastenders. OMG, More Pain! I never liked the wretched programme in the first place; to be confronted with it for hours on end was just too much for me.

I found the whole thing sick, sick, sick, in a sickety-sick kind of way.

P.S. I'd already worked out my own conspiracy theories within 10 minutes of hearing the news, so hearing them time and again ever since has been quite boring.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Married her way into power and privilege. Slept around a bit. And now she's all over the headlines again for happening to have died 10 years ago.

Strange world we live in.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Really not bothered at all abobut this Memorial Service... do they do it for any other royal that has died ? Is there a service for the queen mother ? I doubt it.
    It just another pointless event for a Princess that seeked publicitiy when she was alive, and can still grab the headlines now she is dead
    Sought FFS

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Really not bothered at all abobut this Memorial Service... do they do it for any other royal that has died ? Is there a service for the queen mother ? I doubt it.
    It just another pointless event for a Princess that seeked publicitiy when she was alive, and can still grab the headlines now she is dead

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    No doubt the world’s news will be replaying the scenes of flower tossing on the motorway as the hearse passed, the mountain of floral tributes in London etc.

All very depressing and over sentimental...and an embarrassing loss of reserve & stiff upper lip

Leave a comment:

Working...
X