• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Prison Officers' Strike 'Illegal'"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    Like Iraq, Iran, Zimbabwe, Syria, China.
    So quite a range of countries in all. I don't read much into a departmental de-merger. Much more concerned about ID cards and surveillance.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Like our Ministry of Defence in Iraq?
    But everyone knows that the best form of defence is to get your knock out blow in first!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffoon View Post
    It’s definitely Orwellian – in 1984 all the ministries were given names opposite to what they actually did.
    Like our Ministry of Defence in Iraq?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Like Sweden.
    Like Iraq, Iran, Zimbabwe, Syria, China.

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Ministry of Justice.

Isn't that where Judge Dredd works? Or is it from Orwel?
    It’s definitely Orwellian – in 1984 all the ministries were given names opposite to what they actually did.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Ministry of Justice.

Dredd, I think. 1984 has:

minipax (peace)
    miniluv (love)
    minitruth (truth)

The Orewllian ones were when they changed the Minstries of Unemployment and War to Emolyment and Defence.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Ministry of Justice.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    You must have been. This was slipped in a few months ago, to align us with third world tin-pot dictatorships.
    Like Sweden.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    From the Beeb...

Btw, what the feck is "The Ministry of Justice"? Some offshoot of the home office?

I must've been asleep...
    You must have been. This was slipped in a few months ago, to align us with third world tin-pot dictatorships.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    From the Beeb...

Btw, what the feck is "The Ministry of Justice"? Some offshoot of the home office?

I must've been asleep...
    Yes. From Wikiepedia:

"The Ministry of Justice is a department of the government of the United Kingdom, reorganized from the former Department for Constitutional Affairs. It also took over responsibility for sentencing policy, probation, prisons and prevention of re-offending in England and Wales from the Home Office on 9 May 2007. The department is located in Selborne House on Victoria Street in Westminster, London."

BTW, does anyone know the difference between a "Ministry" and a "Government Department"?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    From the Beeb...

The Ministry of Justice has been granted a High Court injunction against a national strike by thousands of prison officers protesting over pay.

I must've been asleep...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    There's a bloke in my cricket team who was a bolshy screw, but he's just been promoted to management and now he moans about bolshy screws.

I'm not sure if he's striking or not.
    (To the tune of The Red Flag)

The working class can kiss my arse.
    I've got the foreman's job at last.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    There's a bloke in my cricket team who was a bolshy screw, but he's just been promoted to management and now he moans about bolshy screws.

I'm not sure if he's striking or not.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
    The governers are normally the civil service's 'fast track' finest...very comforting...I don't think
    I wouldn't be surprised if everyone is locked in their cells. Still, looks like the way to win a strike. Australian nurses did something similar a few years back and the government said military nurses could cover critical / emergency cases. It didn't take them long to change their mind.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    That's good then.
    The governers are normally the civil service's 'fast track' finest...very comforting...I don't think

Leave a comment:

Working...
X