• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Leaving the UK

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leaving the UK"

Collapse

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    when the indigenous red squirrel population was at threat from the alien grey squirrel population steps were taken by the government to preserve them, can we expect the red squirrels to return the favour ?
    Ssssh! We're harmless really.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Don't get into a road rage clash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...ts/6960590.stm

Nice place this is turning into.
    Letchworth? FFS, that's bloody Hobbiton!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Don't get into a road rage clash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...ts/6960590.stm

Nice place this is turning into.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Apparently they are finally now integrating a bit.

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle2300489.ece

'“People are now becoming more involved in the Spanish economy,” she says. “They are learning little bits of Spanish. It’s not a massive sea-change, but it is changing.”

To be sure, there are still plenty of lobster-red lager boys sporting gold chains and tattoos on the Costa del Sol.'

Hands up, you lobster-red lager boys sporting gold chains and tatoos.
    tattoos - and you got it right just one paragraph earlier. Tut.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Apparently they are finally now integrating a bit.

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle2300489.ece

'“People are now becoming more involved in the Spanish economy,” she says. “They are learning little bits of Spanish. It’s not a massive sea-change, but it is changing.”

To be sure, there are still plenty of lobster-red lager boys sporting gold chains and tattoos on the Costa del Sol.'

Hands up, you lobster-red lager boys sporting gold chains and tatoos.
    Last edited by Francko; 23 August 2007, 13:26.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    Hmm, my cousin has four. Is it Richard, Colin, Emily or Muhammed? I think it's Colin.
    I guess it will be more obvious when they grow up and one of them speaks a funny language.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Yep. They surely have to be very grateful to the British community. And so Thailand.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...456579,00.html
    Come on I don't think you can compare the two, if you’re a single man moving to Thailand you are obviously ugly as sin and a paedophile.

Most of the crims that went to Spain live in Marbella attracted by the bling lifestyle, funny enough an ex chief of Thai police who was wanted for hundreds of murders used to live 200 yards away from my dad in Spain!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    That modus operandi sounds strangely familiar...
    Yes - I can't get the words "tat shop" out of my head...

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Here's another stat for you. 25% of babies born in Britain now have foreign parent.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/immigratio...153999,00.html

A quarter of babies born in the UK now have a foreign mother or father, official figures revealed today.
    Hmm, my cousin has four. Is it Richard, Colin, Emily or Muhammed? I think it's Colin.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I've only ever been to Barcelona, so I guess that by default I know notheeng. I'm sure the Brits that live in Spain are a great asset to the country and greatly appreciated by the local population. I'm surprised they haven't launched a big publicity campaign to get more of us over there in fact.
    Yep. They surely have to be very grateful to the British community. And so Thailand.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...456579,00.html

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I've only ever been to Barcelona, so I guess that by default I know notheeng. I'm sure the Brits that live in Spain are a great asset to the country and greatly appreciated by the local population. I'm surprised they haven't launched a big publicity campaign to get more of us over there in fact.
    Can you honestly say you have never had anyone try to sell you property in Spain??? And yes the local population do appreciate the people they rely on for income, I have visited many times and though I don’t regard myself as an expert on the subject having 6 family members living in 3 different areas who all integrate and live the Spanish lifestyle I do think I know more about the subject than someone who took a city break to an area that is almost exclusively inhabited by the indigenous population.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Sadly dang65 is clueless.

He thinks all of Spain is like Benidorm.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Sadly dang65 is clueless.

He thinks all of Spain is like Benidorm.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    No, they've usually got a pint of lager in one hand and a cheeseburger in the other.
    I think you are referring to the chav's on £199 holidays to Benidorm or Lloret de mar, Spain is vast and varied my Dad and stepmother live on an old farm with about 5 acres and a pool, he grows all his own produce and avoids the tourist traps like most discerning expats. It would cost a pretty penny to buy now but when he first went over 15 years ago it would have been about £50k ...I'm not envious honest!

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Ahh but are they turning up empty handed?
    No, they've usually got a pint of lager in one hand and a cheeseburger in the other.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X