• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Driving BMWs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Driving BMWs"

Collapse

• King Cnvt
    replied
    You still driving that old ugly German Capri?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Is that really more difficult/dangerous as some people say, especially when it's raining/snowing?
    Absolutely. The tires they fit as standard are appalling at the best of times and even worse in the wet or ice. For what people pay for the cars you'd think they'd be happy to allow a choice, but they don't. If you can, swap them for Vredesteins Hi-Trac in the summer and Ice-Trac in winter which I have on the 7 or Pirelli P-Zeros which I have on the 8 Alpina (not that you'd drive a car like that in the wet or winter).

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    On s2kuk there is a video of some guy VTECing his S around the ring, looks like fun!

Leave a comment:

• Red 7
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan
    0-60 is a stupid way of measuring performance.
    Yes, it is.

Originally posted by VectraMan
    Bikes are only really fast from slow corners, but they're slower around the corners than cars. At The Nurburgring, the bikes are a menace: they slow you down round the corners and then out accelerate you meaning you can't get passed.
    Actually, cars are a menace at the ring, there's always some fat GT3 RS dawdling on the straights when you want to get on the gas.

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut
    Yeah sorry squire - they're obviously totally different beasts. Me warbling on about bikes is of no help to your situation.

It's just that it's sunny at the moment and I'd like to be out there.
    Yeah I wouldnt mind doing 160 up the A13 to the coast on a GSX-R this weekend

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    ...you don't buy a classic unless you're prepared to get your hands dirty!
    That's a good attitute considering you're going to be a father soon, GJ.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by dotnetter
    Yeah I want to do my bike test and get a GSX-R 600, but it's all priorities, I need a car to be honest first.
    Yeah sorry squire - they're obviously totally different beasts. Me warbling on about bikes is of no help to your situation.

It's just that it's sunny at the moment and I'd like to be out there.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Is there such a thing as a mint TR6?

I thought they came out of the factory rusty as standard.
    Yes they did but there are some very good restored vehicles, once they’ve been stripped back, primered and painted with modern materials they should be good for a long time, not sure about the engines though but a good members club should be a cheap source of spares, you don't buy a classic unless you're prepared to get your hands dirty!

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut
    The reason bike acceleration stats are often quoted as 0-100. Plus it will have only cost a few thousand to get that kind of performance.
    Yeah I want to do my bike test and get a GSX-R 600, but it's all priorities, I need a car to be honest first.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Red 7
    Eh. ?

Most standard sportsbikes will make 60 in 2.5 seconds.
    0-60 is a stupid way of measuring performance. The power to weight advantage becomes much less at higher speeds: the old 1.8 Rover powered Elises were quick 0-60, but pretty much rubbish after about 80.

Bikes are only really fast from slow corners, but they're slower around the corners than cars. At The Nurburgring, the bikes are a menace: they slow you down round the corners and then out accelerate you meaning you can't get passed.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Eh. ?

The reason bike acceleration stats are often quoted as 0-100. Plus it will have only cost a few thousand to get that kind of performance.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I've driven the 2.2 Z4 convertible, and the chasis wasn't great.

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    Eh. ?

Yer true, but but not all

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    Ive got a Z3 at the mo only the mere 140bhp one, but get's the back end out nicely. Got it cos the missus wanted to drive it, now it's in the garage after the missus failed to see a taxi on a roundabout

It's actually a really good car, fun to drive, not as juicy as the V8 S-Type i had before and is very very reliable.

But I want to palm that off on the missus and get something for myself, and go nuts this time.

Trouble is im 26 in sept my missus just lost me my no claims and I was going for a group 20 motor

Leave a comment:

• Red 7
    replied
    Originally posted by dotnetter
    oooh yes please 0-60 3.9 seconds?

Porsches, Ferraris, Bikes move over
    Eh. ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X