• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's the best coffee machine?"

Collapse

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin
    At risk of being branded a disgusting heathen here, I want to ask if anyone has had any experience with the Nespresso machines??

Any good? They seem like a no-mess solution anyway..
    I've got one of these, and it's superb. Capsules work out at around 25p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magimix-Nesp...6581866&sr=1-8

Leave a comment:

• Methuselah
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin
    At risk of being branded a disgusting heathen here, I want to ask if anyone has had any experience with the Nespresso machines??

Have tasted stuff from them. Not bad. High price per cup but certainly no fuss. Good if you drink espresso infrequently.

Leave a comment:

• Apache
    replied
    Monkey tea

Originally posted by sasguru
    I agree. Earl Grey is for wannabee aristos. The real upper class drink cheap Tetleys. And re-use the tea bag at least 3 times.
    Indeed, my good man - a good slosh of monkey tea is hard to beat - Although I seem to remember that the monkeys were drinking PG Tips.

Leave a comment:

• Apache
    replied
    Blue Mountain

Originally posted by Red 7
    One of the best I've ever tried is Jamaican Blue Mountain.
    Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, Blue Mountain - happy days and sunshine in a mug.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Colemanisor
    replied
    Kenco used to have a blend called "404 with fig seasoning" - bloody marvellous, but don't know where you would get it today.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Red 7
    What's everyone's opinion on the best coffee ?

Does it have to be chewed and crapped-out by a lemur ?

One of the best I've ever tried is Jamaican Blue Mountain, but I'm no aficionado and blue mountain may be the equivalent of 'Happy Shopper Instant' in the coffee world.
    Blue Mountain is indeed refreshing.
    My favourite is Jacobs which I have only ever found in Germany/Switzerland

Leave a comment:

• Red 7
    replied
    Originally posted by Methuselah
    (as well as, of course, buying the best coffee, which even allowing for taste is not likely to be among the cheapest on the shelf).
    What's everyone's opinion on the best coffee ?

Does it have to be chewed and crapped-out by a lemur ?

One of the best I've ever tried is Jamaican Blue Mountain, but I'm no aficionado and blue mountain may be the equivalent of 'Happy Shopper Instant' in the coffee world.

Leave a comment:

• Methuselah
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon
    That is obviously you're personal preference. Mine and most Italians prefer expresso, otherwise how do you explain that even the humblest cafe has a expresso machine. The pressure separates the aromatic oils out of the coffee and gives you the crema sat on the top.

My only advice on the matter is to buy a machine with at least 15 bar pressure and grind your beans fresh.
    Indeed, these are the 2 factors that really matter (as well as, of course, buying the best coffee, which even allowing for taste is not likely to be among the cheapest on the shelf).

Oh, and get a good grinder. That may be more important than a good espresso machine.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    That may be the origin of it, but I still maintain it has the best taste. The bitterness happens if you over do it.

That is obviously you're personal preference. Mine and most Italians prefer expresso, otherwise how do you explain that even the humblest cafe has a expresso machine. The pressure separates the aromatic oils out of the coffee and gives you the crema sat on the top.

My only advice on the matter is to buy a machine with at least 15 bar pressure and grind your beans fresh.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I agree. Earl Grey is for wannabee aristos. The real upper class drink cheap Tetleys. And re-use the tea bag at least 3 times.
    ok ok I don't really drink Earl Grey... I drink floor sweepings, strong coffee makes me edgy.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Stove-top pot was invented for Italians who didn't have an espresso machine at home, not really necessary now that you can have a decent machine at home (it's a good substitute but can be a bit bitter).

That may be the origin of it, but I still maintain it has the best taste. The bitterness happens if you over do it.

Leave a comment:

• Red 7
    replied
    Stove-top espresso and a Lucky strike (or Marlboro Red if I can't get any LS) is the best breakfast you can have.

Oh and pet hate... people who pronounce espresso with an 'x' that one really gets on my breasts.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Mediocre tea with a nice initial smell....

Leave a comment:

• Methuselah
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    You lot are all wannabe continentals... I drink Earls Grey whilst reminiscing nostalgically about the great British empire.
    Mediocre tea with a nice initial smell....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X