• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "citi - project / programme management??"

Collapse

• Muttley08
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy
    More violence !

And a classic answer, sod Prince, just get moving, it doesn't matter where. Just look like you are doing something...
    Or stop writing about how you're going to do it...and just get on with it...

Muttley in wind-up the PO types mode

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttley08
    Or maybe it's a valid Project Management Methodology....sod Prince.....just get a wriggle on, or I'll clip you round the ear!!!

More violence !

And a classic answer, sod Prince, just get moving, it doesn't matter where. Just look like you are doing something...

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Why does it always end in violence?
    Or maybe it's a valid Project Management Methodology....sod Prince.....just get a wriggle on, or I'll clip you round the ear!!!

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    It's the only language they understand.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Because I don't know any better

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttley08

Perhaps we should just burn anyone involved in the PO at the stake???

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Back on the topic, I went on a CITI course a few years ago now that was quite good. I think it's useful to get a taster of P2, as well as others....

P2 is OK, like anything though, the skill is how to use it....you see a lot PM's producing poor docs that arent achieving much, because the Project Office dictates you should.

Perhaps we should just burn anyone involved in the PO at the stake???

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    I am the Tsar of project management. All you need for project success is me.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    That's what I meant by "nouse".
    I have no nouse at all. I wish I knew what it was. Most people do think I have some nous though.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang
    I fully agree and, in addition, there are so many companies that think they only have to educate their PM's in P2 and everyone else hasn't got a clue about it!
    Agreed. One of the things I find unfortunate is when I set up projects to P2 structures and someone in the project resource list moans because he actually has to produce a HLD or some other kind of deliverable.

In my current environment, one of my off-the-record projects is a culture change... teams here have to get used to doing things by the book. At least that's what senior management in this international services company want to enforce...

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang
    I fully agree and, in addition, there are so many companies that think they only have to educate their PM's in P2 and everyone else hasn't got a clue about it!
    Unlike this insurance company who have spent a fortune training everyone but everyone in it and still they don't understand.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Loew
    I agree with the former part of that statement.

But not everyone can manage projects. If you have the right personality and attitude, then you can manage a project without knowing what a highlight report is, a PBS is, or what any other [insert here] is. If you are not much of an interactive person, your project will fail.

The question is, how many people really do have the right attitude and interactive skills to manage a project? I think not many, and despite P2 standards, one good reason why projects fail is because the person is not right for the PM role.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Loew
    But not everyone can manage projects. If you have the right personality and attitude, then you can manage a project without knowing what a highlight report is, a PBS is, or what any other [insert here] is.
    That's what I meant by "nouse".

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    All these acronyms and qualifications are there just make it look harder than it is to manage a project - and to justify permie salaries. Just get on with it. Anyone with any nouse can plan and manage a project.
    I agree with the former part of that statement.

But not everyone can manage projects. If you have the right personality and attitude, then you can manage a project without knowing what a highlight report is, a PBS is, or what any other [insert here] is. If you are not much of an interactive person, your project will fail.

The question is, how many people really do have the right attitude and interactive skills to manage a project? I think not many, and despite P2 standards, one good reason why projects fail is because the person is not right for the PM role.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Well, indeed. However, I my brief is to apply governance to an out of control programme, with a nutty manager. The company's standard is P2, but I can't find a single person who knows what a PBS is.
    I have worked in places where they claim to go by P2 standards, and yet everyone gets edgy when I define the PBS's because nobody, techies specifically, wants to produce any of the actual deliverables. Go figure.

P

Leave a comment:

Working...
X