• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Doomed I tell yer!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Doomed I tell yer!"

Collapse

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    The kind Steve Austin had? As I recall those cost quite a bit.
    Well, not far off! They had a bloke on - he'd lost his hand. He had a "bionic" one, and it worked. Senses electrical impulses and all that. And, unlike a lot of these early prototype jobbies, a la Tomorrow's World, it really did do the stuff.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    The kind Steve Austin had? As I recall those cost quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by richard-af
    Bionic limbs: they're here, sort of, saw it on Richard & Judy last week. Judy: now there's a lady who CAN remember the wheel arriving.
    I don't want the dodgy 1st/2nd generation stuff. I want tried and tested 30th generation stuff that performs better than original limbs and looks like something a sculpted athlete would be proud to wear!!!

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    I'm not that old!!!

That being said I can't really think of an amazing technical development i'm that fussed about...

They had better have sorted out bionic limbs and body parts by the time i'm 70 though, I fully expect to be swapping my crusty old limbs and body parts for nice shiney sculpted bionic ones that perform better than the originals and have all the ladies gasping in excitement as I jog past!!!
    Bionic limbs: they're here, sort of, saw it on Richard & Judy last week. Judy: now there's a lady who CAN remember the wheel arriving.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    As a very, very old person, what do you think the most amazing technological development has been in your lifetime? My guess: the wheel!
    I'm not that old!!!

That being said I can't really think of an amazing technical development i'm that fussed about...

They had better have sorted out bionic limbs and body parts by the time i'm 70 though, I fully expect to be swapping my crusty old limbs and body parts for nice shiney sculpted bionic ones that perform better than the originals and have all the ladies gasping in excitement as I jog past!!!

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    I can do that with mine, amazing what a bit of software and an IR port can do nowdays
    As a very, very old person, what do you think the most amazing technological development has been in your lifetime? My guess: the wheel!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Really? Are you sure you haven't been trying to change the channel on the telly with it?
    I can do that with mine, amazing what a bit of software and an IR port can do nowdays

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I could survive quite happily without one now...
    Really? Are you sure you haven't been trying to change the channel on the telly with it?

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Yup...

Them were the days, colour telly and video cassette recorders were high tech...

The 8080 was new...

Ah.

Dear dead days beyond recall.
    How did any of you survive without mobile phones? That's the real question.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Quite.

30 years is a looooong time... I can remember the discussion in work about it...
    Agreed. But in terms of Society's take on this sort of thing, not that long, if you see what I mean. 30 years ago: career nuked; today: appear on Parky, centre spread in OK! magazine, warts-and-all autobiography for the Xmas market, etc.

"Discussion in work"? You ARE a dinosaur!

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Indeed....
    It's a bit saddening, for me, that Peter Wyngarde would have been able to keep his career if his "indiscretion" had taken place just 30 years later (viz George Michael). A bloomin' good actor, with a rare ability to add zest to an essentially silly role.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Bet yer avatar wouldn't have....
    No! But it's be a tight squeeze with us all in the loo!

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    Almost, but it takes you and your children (and maybe their children) to pay it off.

The banks have come up with many ways of keeping this massive profit roller going. I'm sure they'll come up with many many more.
    The Swiss have been at it for ages: houses are unbelievably expensive, and they get paid off over generations... I was told by a very nice man in the Langtry Manor hotel in Bournemouth, a year or so ago. Mind you, he ended up virtually inviting me, my wife, and another couple at the same table to take part in bedroom activites. Declined, by the way!

Top Tip: Langtry Manor's chef is, in reality, a hamfisted, couldn't boil an egg amateur. BE WARNED. Correct as of last Summer.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin
    This is very almost like an Interest only mortgage.

Done. NEXT.
    Almost, but it takes you and your children (and maybe their children) to pay it off.

The banks have come up with many ways of keeping this massive profit roller going. I'm sure they'll come up with many many more.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Oh dear, seems Yorshire an humberside are the only places on the up. Interesting that the South East is struggling.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/pdf/p/hpi...rdJuly2007.pdf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X