• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mancs to get congestion charge"

Collapse

• richard-af
    replied
    James Bond-like revolving number plates - there's a gap in the market, I think.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Poxy argument.
    Why should drivers pay for a system that is for everybody's benefit?
    No, no, it's for the drivers' benefit. People who aren't drivers already use public transport, or walk, or cycle. Research has shown that drivers cannot stop using their cars because someone needs to sort out the public transport system in this country first. So, do you see, someone is sorting out the public transport for you so you won't be forced to use your cars any more. Of course, you won't mind paying for it because it's what you want.

Isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65
    The official idea is that the congestion charge is meant to raise money, in conjunction with the government's Transport Innovation Fund, which will pay for the kind of improvements to public transport which everyone says they need before they can possibly stop using their cars.

They don't want to price people out of cars before there is suitable public transport to replace the cars with, but they do have to get a stream of income in order to qualify for TIF money.

So, keeping the charge quite low will allow people to afford to keep driving everywhere, but at the same time they will be directly contributing to Manchester's future public transport system, which addresses another thing everyone moans about in regard to current taxation.

This leaves drivers with nothing at all to moan about, so it'll be nice to see them with big, contented smiles on their faces from now on.
    Poxy argument.
    Why should drivers pay for a system that is for everybodies benefit? Put the increase on local council tax and let the residents pay for it.

Then put punative congestion charges in place and ban any vehicles other than public transport from city centre roads.

Drivers are already paying billions more into the treasury than is spent on them. Why cant that money be spent on the transport infrastructure?
    HMG and Councils alike consistantly tell us they can not ring fence distinct incomes against distinct costs. How come they can (conveniently) with congestion charging?

It is another dip in the pockets of motorists who do not have a choice.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by richard-af
    ... that I don't fully understand the congestion charge thingy.

I take it that it's a complete thieving farce? Please enlighten me.
    Yes, it hits those on lowest incomes hardest.

Unfortunately, to get around that, we'll probably end up with Council Tax Credits or some such nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    The official idea is that the congestion charge is meant to raise money, in conjunction with the government's Transport Innovation Fund, which will pay for the kind of improvements to public transport which everyone says they need before they can possibly stop using their cars.

They don't want to price people out of cars before there is suitable public transport to replace the cars with, but they do have to get a stream of income in order to qualify for TIF money.

So, keeping the charge quite low will allow people to afford to keep driving everywhere, but at the same time they will be directly contributing to Manchester's future public transport system, which addresses another thing everyone moans about in regard to current taxation.

This leaves drivers with nothing at all to moan about, so it'll be nice to see them with big, contented smiles on their faces from now on.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    That's a good point

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

It's supposed to be a deterrent against using your car. Use your car, pay a fiver. However, if they really wanted it to be a deterrent and not the cash cow that it really is they should've set the charge at 500 quid a day.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Maybe It's Because I'm Not A Londoner...

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp
    The answer is quite simple: put a tax on parking in the centre of congested towns and cities, and put the profit towards park-and-ride and public transport.
    Since when has the profit on anything been put towards anything for the public good?
    The Road Fund Licence - which we all pay, right? - was "supposed" to go towards improving the roads and also improving public transport.
    Instead it goes into the general taxation pot.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    What will happen to the value of houses within a 5-10 minute walk of a train station straight into the city centre?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    What is the point in that? Surely most people live inside the outer ring road and would be exempt from the charge?!
    For now ..

It's the oldest trick in the book: Start with a big discount, to keep the plebs happy thinking they have a bargain, and then year by year increase it. For instance, a pound to a pinch of pig sh*t says the London discounted charge will go up from £1 per day to £2 per day next year.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by pisces
    Big difference in cities I reckon. London being a major player in the finacial market and just about everything else means everyone just had to swallow it. Manchester won't be the same, a lot of people will seek jobs outside of the city. It could well backfire
    The cops were pretty hot stuff at towing away cars when I lived in Manc about 10 years ago. Cost a fortune to get 'em back.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    I'm not too familiar with Manchester, but a CC would kill trade in the city centre. This is why other cities haven't rushed to copy London so far (as initially predicted).

The answer is quite simple: put a tax on parking in the centre of congested towns and cities, and put the profit towards park-and-ride and public transport.
    Big difference in cities I reckon. London being a major player in the finacial market and just about everything else means everyone just had to swallow it. Manchester won't be the same, a lot of people will seek jobs outside of the city. It could well backfire

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Congestion charges? Does that apply to a bunged-up nose, too?
    Yes, you'll have to use a public hankey now.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Congestion charges? Does that apply to a bunged-up nose, too?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X