• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Pension age

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pension age"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    My mate's dad retired about eight years ago at 50 and spends all his time indoors, on Arsenal chatrooms and counting his investments. Except he keeps his garden quite nice.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Yep. I have in-laws who retired decades ago and they've turned into real OAP types. My mum, on the other hand, is still working at 74 and she's quite the opposite.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked
    I have a different approach, I don't want to retire. I want to take 3-4 months off a year.
    I agree, got to make each day count. Now you lot go away and watch Groundhog day and perhaps you'll learn something.

Leave a comment:

• RightLaugh
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked
    I have a different approach, I don't want to retire. I want to take 3-4 months off a year.
    or part-time i.e. 3 day week.
    Why save,save, save all the time to retire at 40 or 50?
    What will you do then?
    3 days on and 4 days off will be good.
    Enjoy your whole life.
    Get your shoes shined.
    Have a nice car and holidays.
    Get a good suit and a nice watch.
    Your never know you might not make 50.
    It's not as if our jobs require alot of physical effort.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by LGDT
    Anyone on contractor money that starts early enough and adopts a sensible approach should be able to get out within a 20-25 year timeframe - unless they actually enjoy it of course!
    You are probably right, but:

(a) You've got to look after it

(b) You've got to earn more than me

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by LGDT
    I'm 44 (started contracting at 24) and I've probably got enough to stop within the next 2 years. But an extra 5 years will just get me enough to feel comfortable.

Anyone on contractor money that starts early enough and adopts a sensible approach should be able to get out within a 20-25 year timeframe - unless they actually enjoy it of course!
    You're a long time dead!

Leave a comment:

• LGDT
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    If I had a pound for everyone who I've heard say that, I'd be able to retire at 50.

And if I had a pound for everyone who looks like being (or was) wrong, I'd be able to retire twice at 50.
    I'm 44 (started contracting at 24) and I've probably got enough to stop within the next 2 years. But an extra 5 years will just get me enough to feel comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr. Nick Riviera
    No way I will have to work beyond 50.
    If I had a pound for everyone who I've heard say that, I'd be able to retire at 50.

And if I had a pound for everyone who looks like being (or was) wrong, I'd be able to retire twice at 50.

Leave a comment:

• brownie74
    replied
    that lady on the site is quite saucy for an old girl

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    He said retired not retarded Churchill
    Feck me, that was so funny!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    He said retired not retarded Churchill

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule
    http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.o...pa_calculator/

You can retire aged 67
    on Wednesday xx Sep 2042

I'll be half dead.
    I can retire now.

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    You can retire aged 66
    on Sunday 20 Apr 2031

Woohoo! 2/3 of the way there already

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr. Nick Riviera
    Statistically you will be 7/8ths dead.

No way I will have to work beyond 50. Not that I do much now.
    Why 7/8th dead, life expectancy for a man who reaches 30 must be well into the 80s. Moreover, if you can afford the drugs 100 should easily be achievable by then.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X