• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cheltenham is like a ghost town"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I wonder if that chap is still driving around with his "I SPY" number plate...
    Yes, and there're a pair of jokers one with "MI5" and the other with "SIS". Must of cost a packet for them plates.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I've been to Tewkesbury today, and despite being disaster centre of the entire universe, they've had water since Friday. But they're still being told not to drink it.

Leave a comment:

• Lambros
    replied
    Anyone who is able to afford to live In Woodmancote is NOT poor. Although Woodmancote is bottom of then list I doubt whether many of the residents would have been using the bowers and collecting free bottled water from Severn Trent collection points. I expect most of them would have vacated to their second homes.

Leave a comment:

• Kess
    replied
    Try the bigger timetable at http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....entPK=17958246

According to this Cheltenham gets water on Tuesday. Poor old Woodmancote is bottom of the list and has to wait till Thursday.

Leave a comment:

• Lambros
    replied
    IMPORTANT WATER RECONNECTION NEWS FROM SEVERN TRENT
    Monday 30th July 2007

Quedgeley, Bishop's Cleeve, Prestbury, Gloucester, Churchdown, Eastern Ave, Longlevens, Tredworth, Abbeymead, Abbeydale, Barnwood, Tuffley, Podsmeadand Sandhurst.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire..._feature.shtml

No mention here about when the people here in Cheltenham will get their water back.
    Last edited by Lambros; 29 July 2007, 19:44.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy
    How can you say you are not a trucker, then?
    Quite easily. I have many hours alone in my lorry to convince myself that it I am not one.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    They have tankers of water going in ready for monday i'm told, which is excellent news as i'm sitting on my arse earning nothing while my client has shut down thier offices in Cheltenham atm, 2 weeks fee down the drain, bloody floods!!!

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg
    Four meals from anarchy. Great illustration of how fragile the whole of society is. If the electric, gas and water supplies went off, 24 hours later there would be total chaos, a week later people would be killing each other and forming armed gangs for protection....
    Last time I remember being a few days away from anarchy was the petrol crisis back in 2000. It was only a few days but you could sense it all getting a bit uneasy.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Saw a report on Breakfast News that apparently some people have been peeing / pouring bleach in a bowser...

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Four meals from anarchy. Great illustration of how fragile the whole of society is. If the electric, gas and water supplies went off, 24 hours later there would be total chaos, a week later people would be killing each other and forming armed gangs for protection....

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by Lambros
    We have floods but there is no water coming out of our taps. There are no public toilets open in the town centre and most of the restaurants even M & S's coffee shop in the High Street is closed. All the pubs are closed in Cheltenham and so is my leisure centre (Leisure at Cheltenham) which was flooded out last Friday.

Bowsers have arrived but they are being used by people who are taking the water and selling it. It is a nightmare here in Gloucestershire.
    I live in Cheltenham. There is enough water in the supermarkets.
    We are using mineral water to wash and clean , contractor stylee.

Leave a comment:

• Lambros
    replied
    Just read this on The Radio Gloucestershire website.

I believe that the water bowsers need to be patrolled by police or volunteers and rationed. In Cheltenham I have seen a person attach a hose pipe to a bowser and emptying water into huge containers and loading it in the back of a van! No wonder ordinary households are finding bowsers empty when they get home after work! I have also heard of people buying water in local shops and selling it to flood victims!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire..._feature.shtml

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Moff delivering water to cheltnam tommorrow in a tanker. £30/hour accomidation paid for.

Going to be on this for the next week at least, 15 hour days.

Kerching.
    How can you say you are not a trucker, then?

Leave a comment:

• Lambros
    replied
    Well the floods - whatever their cause are a stark reminder of the fragility of our civilised way of life. And the loss of energy and water throws it into chaos.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    After all this do you think that houses built on hills will attract a premium? I hope so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X