• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Gordon Brown

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gordon Brown"

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    eh

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    Euro-Commuter,

I have to say, perhaps it's my low IQ, but that sentence,

'Strangely, perhaps, I do not filter reality through my view on what would increase my money. So, from "those who own houses have profited from that" to "I want to see house prices going up" is a step too far. Much too far.',

was a tricky one to fathom.

If I understand what you have just said then I think you are missing my point.

I am not worried how much people's houses are worth,

however,

I am accutely aware that a stagnation or decrease in house prices could considerably affect consumer confidence, stop people spending and lead to a recession. If a recession happened it would also affect to some extent other economies in the Euro region.

Therefore, the best thing for the UK economy is to find any way which you can to keep the house prices growing, and if immigration is the answer then so be it

Do you see the distinction between what I am saying and what you think I am saying.

Milan.
    Yes. I could not put it better than to ask you the same question.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Euro-Commuter,

I have to say, perhaps it's my low IQ, but that sentence,

'Strangely, perhaps, I do not filter reality through my view on what would increase my money. So, from "those who own houses have profited from that" to "I want to see house prices going up" is a step too far. Much too far.',

was a tricky one to fathom.

If I understand what you have just said then I think you are missing my point.

I am not worried how much people's houses are worth,

however,

I am accutely aware that a stagnation or decrease in house prices could considerably affect consumer confidence, stop people spending and lead to a recession. If a recession happened it would also affect to some extent other economies in the Euro region.

Therefore, the best thing for the UK economy is to find any way which you can to keep the house prices growing, and if immigration is the answer then so be it

Do you see the distinction between what I am saying and what you think I am saying.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    EuroCommuter,

are you saying you would prefer house prices to fall ?
    No, Mila, I'm not saying that.

Strangely, perhaps, I do not filter reality through my view on what would increase my money. So, from "those who own houses have profited from that" to "I want to see house prices going up" is a step too far. Much too far.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    House prices are a stupid measure of wealth.

Doesn't stop people on here from telling us all how much money they have made from them though!!!!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    House prices are a stupid measure of wealth.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    EuroCommuter,

If so are you really sure of the consequences ?

Milan.

I want house prices to fall.....

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    EuroCommuter,

If so are you really sure of the consequences ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    But supervisory roles also carry responsibility...if the supervisor cannot manage their staff, then get a new one....it is also the managers responsibility to ensure that he manages the supervisor accordingly....
    Er, yeah, like Old Greg said: the staff have a duty to the supervisor, the supervisor has a duty to the manager, the manager has a duty to the company.

Not to the NHS or the patients.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    fact: everyones houses are now worth a fortune
    What, including those who don't have one?

Oh no, just me me me me me. Situation normal, Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    You're right, but the line management is to a supervisor and then to a manager in the contract cleaning firm, and their driver is commercial. The NHS trust's leverage is through the SLA, and these are written with the 'cheapest bid wins' rule in mind. If you need something cleaned now, the easiest way to deal with it is to directly manage the cleaning staff, but it's a little more expensive. You get what you pay for.

But supervisory roles also carry responsibility...if the supervisor cannot manage their staff, then get a new one....it is also the managers responsibility to ensure that he manages the supervisor accordingly....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    Management also have to take some responsibility here. As a manager, I cannot abide sloppy working and poor standards...but that seems a dying attitude nowadays.
    You're right, but the line management is to a supervisor and then to a manager in the contract cleaning firm, and their driver is commercial. The NHS trust's leverage is through the SLA, and these are written with the 'cheapest bid wins' rule in mind. If you need something cleaned now, the easiest way to deal with it is to directly manage the cleaning staff, but it's a little more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    thanks for that Greg, a very interesting piece of information indeed

keep up the good work

Milan.
    I have an NHS background and that's one of the reasons why I don't like NL. But people have forgotten how terrible the NHS was under the Tories. Short memories etc.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    He wants to review the new pub hours.

The man is a c**t.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    Private contracting firms are a problem - BTW, introduced following the Tory introduction of Compulsive Competitive Tendering. It was all about accepting the cheapest bid, which drove down quality of service. I've worked in a ward with an in-house dedicated cleaner (an immigrant as it happens) who was properly trained, did a great job, was respected as part of the team, and took pride in his work.

I've worked in hospitals where cleaning is contracted out (the immigrant issue is a sideshow as in cities this is the case, but in smaller towns, they are largely local white women and the effect is the same), and then there are problems. As you say, training is bad, pay is bad and they are overstretched. But also, they tend to work in a different place from day to day, and don't build relationships with colleagues. as a result, they don't seem to take the same pride in their work, and cleanliness suffers.
    Management also have to take some responsibility here. As a manager, I cannot abide sloppy working and poor standards...but that seems a dying attitude nowadays.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X