• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Martial Arts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Martial Arts"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I did Ren Ting once, but it was too expensive and did nothing for my six-pack. Now I do Ohh Ning and I can afford a six-pack every night.
    Is that like Iro Ning, which is good for the (esp. ladies) buttocks and upper body?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    I did Bujikan Ninpo Taijutsu for a few years but now train in Aikido.

I did Ren Ting once, but it was too expensive and did nothing for my six-pack. Now I do Ohh Ning and I can afford a six-pack every night.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Let-Me-In View Post
    Jeez, thats a bit restrictive!!!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Leon B Little (Eli Wallach): and I warn you (opens trench coat and levels a shotgun) I know Winchester.
    Or as I've heard said: "Yeah, well I've got an 'A' level in brick".

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Martial Arts are for small eastern people. All noise and no action. A glasgow kiss does the job more effectively. That or a pump-action shotgun.
    Like that film Tough Guys :

Belle (Alexis Smith): I should warn you, I know karate!

Leon B Little (Eli Wallach): and I warn you (opens trench coat and levels a shotgun) I know Winchester.

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwana View Post
    Cool. I live in the Cheshire area, so not far away from you if you're in Runcorn. Where do you train for each of these?

I'm interested in Martial Arts (MA) for self defence. I researched it on the web, and found that a lot of people were suggesting Muay Thai or Kickboxing for stand-up fighting and BJJ for ground fighting. Apparently that's what a lot of the MMA/UFC/cage fighter types train in.

I was fascinated by Wing Chun because of the (apparently unique) trapping techniques, and also because of the scentific theory behind it (triangulation, protection of centre line, re-direction of force etc). However, I was surprised to see a lot of people on MA forums slagging off Wing Chun and casting doubt on it's effectiveness for self defence. Why is this? I know there are a lot of childish people on the web who feel they have to run down other styles and hype up their own, but why the lack of respect for Wing Chun? I respect all martial arts.

Cheers,
    Bwana.
    Yes MT and kickboxing are very effective stand-up arts and well suited to both the ring and self-defence. MT and kickboxing tends to cater mainly to the younger audience i.e. teens and twenties. Wing Chun is a great method of self defence and suitable to a wider audience because it relies on structure and contact reflexes rather than strength.

The trapping you see is generally quite contrived on youtube videos with one practitioner tying the other up in a figure eight knot. In application trapping is simple, direct and may only last for fractions of a second. Wing Chun is not the only martial art to employ trapping - its just that they capitalise on it. You will even see boxers applying trapping if you know what to look for.

As for Wing Chun getting a bad press. Well, its a popular martial art and like you say there are plenty of childish people out there so you're gonna see some slagging off. The world is full of keyboard warriors because its easy and doesn't require any training (or intelligence).

There are plenty of places to train in the north-west whether it be BJJ, MT, MMA, Wing Chun you're after. Will PM you.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwana View Post
    I'm interested in Martial Arts (MA) for self defence. I researched it on the web, and found that a lot of people were suggesting Muay Thai or Kickboxing for stand-up fighting and BJJ for ground fighting. Apparently that's what a lot of the MMA/UFC/cage fighter types train in.
    I guy I train with does BJJ at a Gracie club 3 times a week, kick boxing 2/3 times a week.

He is scaling back the BJJ as he hasn't got the time or energy anymore and enjoyed kickboxing more.

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    the lad with me says you spelt it wrong! He runs a dojo in the Crewe area i think... any issues, take it up with him!

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
    So who on here finds the time to do Martial Arts? I used to do Aiki-Jitsu when I was younger for like a decade-and-a-half and stopped one away from black belt (brown belt).

I was thinking about starting martial arts training again for fitness and the other benefits (more fun than running on a treadmill), so does anyone do a particular form which they prefer? I was looking at Kung Fu or maybe Aikido or Judo.
    the junior PM with me (contractor too) is a 6th Dan black belt in ninjitsu and blackbelt in some otehr stuff. needless to say, he is one hard mo fo! I still make him do the tulip work tho! that what juniors are for!

Leave a comment:

• Bwana
    replied
    <deleted>
    Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 16:20.

Leave a comment:

• Scotchpie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Boll**s, it was the thought of Caillin Maith getting her legs up above her ears with a bit of kicking. Mind you to connect with Churchills knackers she would need to kick high and with great accuracy

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by lightng View Post
    Bored at work so trawling through old threads.

I've practiced various martial arts since teens. For me its a great way to stay fit without the boredom of going to the gym. It also keeps me (relatively) sane.

I used to compete in karate (shotokan) in my twenties but was never anything more than an average to good club level player. I currently practice Wing Chun and Brazillian Jujitsu and love both arts.
    Boll**s, it was the thought of Caillin Maith getting her legs up above her ears with a bit of kicking. Mind you to connect with Churchills knackers she would need to kick high and with great accuracy

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Bored at work so trawling through old threads.

I've practiced various martial arts since teens. For me its a great way to stay fit without the boredom of going to the gym. It also keeps me (relatively) sane.

I used to compete in karate (shotokan) in my twenties but was never anything more than an average to good club level player. I currently practice Wing Chun and Brazillian Jujitsu and love both arts.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I dont have a six pack. I have a party barrel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X