• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Was this too harsh.."

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    If you know this girl you should have known she may be offended.
    If you didn't know her beforehand you shouldn't have made the joke.
    On the other hand if you know her really, really well she should have taken the p!ss back (a kn0b-size insult should be sufficient) and not got offended.

I guess all you can do is apologise, and try and get your mates that laughed along with you to apologise too.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by SomeoneElse
    Oh. My. God. A classless, socially retarded Australian, out in the big wide world, making a complete idiot of himself and shaming his nation and fellow countrymen? This is just so unusual. I am shocked. Really. I mean, shocked.
    Easy on the sarcasm hammy.

Leave a comment:

• SomeoneElse
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC
    A group of about 20 were out at a pub on sat arvo having a good time one of the girls I know is from Peru and I said to the group if anyone needs a housekeeper she can help you out, coming from South America.... everyone laughs... except her and her husband who wait till I go to the toilet and leave. Sent a few texts, no reply, so proper dummy spit. The thing is I'll be called a convict or whatever, Irish mates there would be called terrorists, potato farmers etc etc People were saying I was out of order, but it's almost impossible not to offend folk these days. So was I too harsh?
    Oh. My. God. A classless, socially retarded Australian, out in the big wide world, making a complete idiot of himself and shaming his nation and fellow countrymen? This is just so unusual. I am shocked. Really. I mean, shocked.

I think if you were to travel back in time, you'd find you're the reason they invented the fence.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC
    I understand she probably doesn't....
    Sounds like you may have worked out the answer to your own question.

Leave a comment:

• XTC
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy
    before you make (what you think) are funny remarks about someone, ask yourself how you would feel if someone said it to you, in front of a load of people...

she's probably feeling humiliated and embarrassed
    Are u kidding me? I have the p*ss taken out of me 24/7 and I love it. I understand she probably doesn't....

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Too far over the line I reckon. I take the p1ss a lot but always pitch it based on the audience, if under attack I might take things to this level but only if I knew them really well and probably not in a big crowd. I have occasionally stepped over the mark and even if everyone laughs it's still not OK. Take flowers, say you are mortified and very sorry, don't try to justify or explain. They will still think you are an @rse but it's still the right thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    before you make (what you think) are funny remarks about someone, ask yourself how you would feel if someone said it to you, in front of a load of people...

she's probably feeling humiliated and embarrassed

Leave a comment:

• XTC
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    Thunderlizard stands justified.
    You're a bit slow there son...

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC
    A group of about 20 were out at a pub on sat arvo
    Saturday 'afternoon', not 'arvo'.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC
    A group of about 20 were out at a pub on sat arvo having a good time one of the girls I know is from Peru and I said to the group if anyone needs a housekeeper she can help you out, coming from South America.... everyone laughs... except her and her husband who wait till I go to the toilet and leave. Sent a few texts, no reply, so proper dummy spit. The thing is I'll be called a convict or whatever, Irish mates there would be called terrorists, potato farmers etc etc People were saying I was out of order, but it's almost impossible not to offend folk these days. So was I too harsh?

No, next!

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC
    Poo poo head.
    Thunderlizard stands justified.

Leave a comment:

• XTC
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard
    yes, too harsh. I realise that in Australia, insulting people and probably burping in their faces is the height of wit, but we do things differently here.
    Poo poo head.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    yes, too harsh. I realise that in Australia, insulting people and probably burping in their faces is the height of wit, but we do things differently here.

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC

hahah - good work.

but im afraid yes, it sounded harsh!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    i think the problem was probably less the

association between house cleaners and peruvians

and more

the association between house cleaner and the lady concerned

well you know for next time

Milan.

Leave a comment: