• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Aaaahhhhhh

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Aaaahhhhhh"

Collapse

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang
    Does that mean you approve?
    Well yes. But contracting can be better.I am my own boss . Period.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W
    My experience (both as a permie manager and as a contractor) is that the person who has asked you has been told to ask the question and doesn't really want to. This means as long as you say 'No' in the right way the subject will be dropped and the contracts continue.
    In my experience, that means setting a price that they won't touch..while stating that you'd never thought of permanent employment, but here's what I think it would take.

The wife thinks I should just say "no - unless you're willing to pay big bucks."

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    My experience (both as a permie manager and as a contractor) is that the person who has asked you has been told to ask the question and doesn't really want to. This means as long as you say 'No' in the right way the subject will be dropped and the contracts continue.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver
    Hmm! Cool move on your part. just remember to give them back the documentation if you decide not to stay
    Give it back! I'm the one writing it! It's taking ages inbetween all the time I take to code, meetings with other teams integrating with us. And its also quite boring...Zzzzz

Shoot, I'd hire someone just to write it. Anyone willing? Its Oracle and Access?

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk
    Does that mean you approve?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    My client has asked if I'd like to become permanent! aaaaaaaaaah

But then, I have been here 2.5 years and I'm more a permanent fixture than other members of the team. My attempts at finding freelance work (ie: proper business work) have failed. On the other hand, I don't think they're willing to pay what I would ask.

There is a BIG announcement to be made here on Thursday I wonder if it has anything to do with culling contractors, and that I'm the only one who knows the system - as there is virtually no documentation on it.
    Hmm! Cool move on your part. just remember to give them back the documentation if you decide not to stay

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang
    I was talking with a company recently and they only want a permie - the agency "forgot" to tell me this. It is tempting though as they are offering a good salary (£70K+) and the sort of work I would be doing would enable me to make a lot of contacts within the sector.

I was thinking keep MyCo running and use to a) put some investment capital in from time and b) draw a few expenses. Work for this company for a year to 18 months and get the contacts and then go contracting again. By putting in the capital to MyCo I would have enough to live on whilst I got my first gig.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    I was talking with a company recently and they only want a permie - the agency "forgot" to tell me this. It is tempting though as they are offering a good salary (£70K+) and the sort of work I would be doing would enable me to make a lot of contacts within the sector.

I was thinking keep MyCo running and use to a) put some investment capital in from time and b) draw a few expenses. Work for this company for a year to 18 months and get the contacts and then go contracting again. By putting in the capital to MyCo I would have enough to live on whilst I got my first gig.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Absolutely!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Pah! I wouldn't even get out of bed to post a comment about it!

By the way lilelvis2000, I hope you're paying IR35 taxes for your "permanent fixture" contract!
    Absolutely!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule
    (40K) A month? I wouldn't get out of bed for that!
    Pah! I wouldn't even get out of bed to post a comment about it!

By the way lilelvis2000, I hope you're paying IR35 taxes for your "permanent fixture" contract!

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied

But then, I have been here 2.5 years and I'm more a permanent fixture than other members of the team. My attempts at finding freelance work (ie: proper business work) have failed. On the other hand, I don't think they're willing to pay what I would ask.

There is a BIG announcement to be made here on Thursday I wonder if it has anything to do with culling contractors, and that I'm the only one who knows the system - as there is virtually no documentation on it.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    negotiate for 20% bonus, company car,company share scheme,3 trainings a year,35 days holidays and so on
    yeah. no bonus (its a co-operative), car allowance is available, training should be no problem, everybody gets 30 days holidays, Now to see if they'd accept a request of £43K pa salary. Which would put me mid-pack in my collegues - who are all 'accountants'. Gosh what a fun bunch.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied

There is a price for which you would be happy to go permanent.

1. work out what that is (without reference to how much you think they might expect it to be).
    2. tell them.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    They haven't offered. they've just asked if I'd like to become permanent. But the IT salaries for techies maxes out at around £40K...and I'd want more than that.
    negotiate for 20% bonus, company car,company share scheme,3 trainings a year,35 days holidays and so on

Leave a comment:

Working...
X