• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New Tenants

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Tenants"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    Oxford is going mental at the moment. Looking to buy there and found a nice 3-bed terrace with decent garden in quiet road backing onto canal with nice views over allotments, just 3 mins walk from station. £395k. Bit too much for a 3-bed, but I bet it will be sold in a week.
    Ma 2 bed in Edinburger cost almost the same.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Hmm i'm surprised.

I would have though Oxford would be doing well for the BTL crowd with the very high student population. Have Brookes built more halls of residence?
    They are doing well - only my friend thinks that the market has peaked he thinks his properties are not going to double price again in the next year or so - so he's taking the cash and putting it in another business, he's got loads of companies and businesses (very dodgy )

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Hmm i'm surprised.

I would have though Oxford would be doing well for the BTL crowd with the very high student population. Have Brookes built more halls of residence?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown
    Actually there is a flood of houses on the market now in Oxford - I know the area you talking about is it the Botley side of Said Business School? is it close to Sojo/Balckwells?
    A couple of people I know bought slightly further (Hinsky - border of Oxford/Cumnor) its a lot more suberbia there and I think its quite nice - as for me I live the posh side of oxford but if I have to move then Hinsky area looks good and you can get more for your money.

MInd you the value of the house you are getting is that its central
    Yep, you're spot on.

If I buy anything, it's going to have to be central. 10 mins on foot to Cornmarket/Broad St. max. Hell of a premium for it, but I'm one extreme or the other - way out in the sticks or city centre - don't do suburbia.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    Oxford is going mental at the moment. Looking to buy there and found a nice 3-bed terrace with decent garden in quiet road backing onto canal with nice views over allotments, just 3 mins walk from station. £395k. Bit too much for a 3-bed, but I bet it will be sold in a week.

Actually there is a flood of houses on the market now in Oxford - I know the area you talking about is it the Botley side of Said Business School? is it close to Sojo/Balckwells?
    A couple of people I know bought slightly further (Hinsky - border of Oxford/Cumnor) its a lot more suberbia there and I think its quite nice - as for me I live the posh side of oxford but if I have to move then Hinsky area looks good and you can get more for your money.

MInd you the value of the house you are getting is that its central

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon
    I thought the boy had done well and then I read your post. Bit negative, aren't you?
    I'm just reading between the lines! It was quite a boastful post but had 'missed opportunities' written all over it in my opinion.

A little bit of effort in maximising your returns early on goes a long way.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Friend of mine who has a few properties in London an Oxford just put all his properties on the market -

"Its a Sign" --- Meg Ryan, Sleepless in Seatle

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Bag-o-pus will be along shortly to tell you to drop the rents and to sell up before it's too late.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Friend of mine who has a few properties in London an Oxford just put all his properties on the market -

"Its a Sign" --- Meg Ryan, Sleepless in Seatle

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes
    Just think of all the money you lost by not raising the rent in line with the market whilst your previous tenants were in. No wonder they stayed so long.

Also maybe the new tenants are getting too good a deal as well, since it wasn't on the market five minutes.
    I thought the boy had done well and then I read your post. Bit negative, aren't you?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    Tenants moved out last Thursday, been there for the past 5 years, had a vewing last Friday, new tenants move in next week, and are paying an extra £150 per month, plus it will be managed by the chap who looks after the other lot, so I'm also paying 3% less on fees each month!!!
    Hows that !!
    Well done! Where's your rental property?

My managing agents have been telling me not to increase rents on tenancy renewals as the market is 'fragile' - I suspect they are full of it and don't want to do any work.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Tenants moved out last Thursday, been there for the past 5 years, had a vewing last Friday, new tenants move in next week, and are paying an extra £150 per month
    Just think of all the money you lost by not raising the rent in line with the market whilst your previous tenants were in. No wonder they stayed so long.

Also maybe the new tenants are getting too good a deal as well, since it wasn't on the market five minutes.

Hows that !!
    Last edited by shoes; 13 July 2007, 14:13.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    [size=2]Tenants moved out last Thursday, been there for the past 5 years:
    Well did you have to get the paint brushes out?

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    What a shame you got a GF

LOL !!

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Tenants moved out last Thursday, been there for the past 5 years, had a vewing last Friday, new tenants move in next week, and are paying an extra £150 per month, plus it will be managed by the chap who looks after the other lot, so I'm also paying 3% less on fees each month!!!
    Hows that !!

What a shame you got a GF

Leave a comment:

Working...
X