• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it just me......"

Collapse

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco

shouldn't have doubt it you ...

btw how do you appreviate shouldn't followed by have ... do we say shouldn't've ??

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown
    are you sure??
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code

Yes

HTH

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    :
    And yes it is morse.

are you sure??

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    sorry - can't be bothered with re-reading my posts, got to type quick , all these smilies is a give away and have to spend as little time as poss when typing a reply !!

If I could do moris code ?? or is it morse code??
    possible

And yes it is morse.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    quit

sorry - can't be bothered with re-reading my posts, got to type quick , all these smilies is a give away and have to spend as little time as poss when typing a reply !!

If I could do moris code ?? or is it morse code??

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    True - but very few did this - actually I was the only one in the dept who wrote her own lecture notes

Jaysus what do you think the copy/paste function is for

Hey - I didn't say I did this I said that's the way I found others doing it, and that's why I quite after one year !!!
    quit

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    No, depends on what you lecture in. The brighter ones have to create the actual course materials (yes, someone has to create it) so that the others can copy it over and over later on.
    True - but very few did this - actually I was the only one in the dept who wrote her own lecture notes

Marking needs to contain feedback and guidance. Not an A, B or C ranking. One is supposed to make constructively critical remarks. Did you (as a lecturer) not know this?.
    Jaysus what do you think the copy/paste function is for

Clearly you are the typical Public Sector 'lecturer' - a slacker and an idler, with no passion for, or interest in the job. Thankfully, there are others who have ideals and commitment.

Hey - I didn't say I did this I said that's the way I found others doing it, and that's why I quite after one year !!!

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied

hope you are not serious - they do feck all , I was a lecturer for a year (when kids were little) all they do is is look at old lecture notes and re cycle them year after year - as for marking best way is to take the course work home and drop all down the stairs, the essay that makes it all the way down gets an A , half way a B and top of the stairs is a C.... one other colleagues said if a students hands in anything - I mean anything even a blank page with his name on it- then he'll pass him/her...

Don't get me started about the nurses ( the olde here would know my nursing story ) anyhow all they have to do is about 5-10 minutes worth of writing and they constantly complain, FFS of course the nurses have to write down what care/medications they have given their patients, and of course they have to order new supplies, who else is going to do it for them??

No, depends on what you lecture in. The brighter ones have to create the actual course materials (yes, someone has to create it) so that the others can copy it over and over later on.

Marking needs to contain feedback and guidance. Not an A, B or C ranking. One is supposed to make constructively critical remarks. Did you (as a lecturer) not know this?

Clearly you are the typical Public Sector 'lecturer' - a slacker and an idler, with no passion for, or interest in the job. Thankfully, there are others who have ideals and commitment.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Not true for teachers and lecturers. They have to spend all their time off marking, or doing lesson plans, preparing lesson material, or doing the paperwork required by the latest government initiative.

hope you are not serious - they do feck all , I was a lecturer for a year (when kids were little) all they do is is look at old lecture notes and re cycle them year after year - as for marking best way is to take the course work home and drop all down the stairs, the essay that makes it all the way down gets an A , half way a B and top of the stairs is a C.... one other colleagues said if a students hands in anything - I mean anything even a blank page with his name on it- then he'll pass him/her...

Don't get me started about the nurses ( the olde here would know my nursing story ) anyhow all they have to do is about 5-10 minutes worth of writing and they constantly complain, FFS of course the nurses have to write down what care/medications they have given their patients, and of course they have to order new supplies, who else is going to do it for them??

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    If you don't like money and you like lots of holiday then the public sector is where it’s at...
    Not true for teachers and lecturers. They have to spend all their time off marking, or doing lesson plans, preparing lesson material, or doing the paperwork required by the latest government initiative.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut
    Plus it appears to be impossible to fire anyone for being crap at their job. Gross misconduct is the only way to get binned.

You can also cite stress and be signed off for ages on full pay.

Consequently it takes ages to get anything done. It drives my wife mad. I keep telling her to go and use her Prince2 qualification and get paid properly for it.
    Getting sacked is certainly not easy (and gross misconduct won't always do it if you're senior enough).

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    If you don't like money and you like lots of holiday then the public sector is where it’s at, a job for life if you don't mind being poor plus you can be sick as often as you like without question.

I overheard an HR person say that at any given time 20% of the workforce is on the sick, sounds high but looking around I can well believe it.
    Plus it appears to be impossible to fire anyone for being crap at their job. Gross misconduct is the only way to get binned.

You can also cite stress and be signed off for ages on full pay.

Consequently it takes ages to get anything done. It drives my wife mad. I keep telling her to go and use her Prince2 qualification and get paid properly for it.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    If you don't like money and you like lots of holiday then the public sector is where it’s at, a job for life if you don't mind being poor plus you can be sick as often as you like without question.

I overheard an HR person say that at any given time 20% of the workforce is on the sick, sounds high but looking around I can well believe it.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Wife went from 15 years in a high-powered consultancy role into teaching at FE colleges.

The incompetence and "couldn't give a feck" attitude of some the staff drives her mad, but she loves teaching - it's definitely a vocation thing.

Personally I steer my business well away from anything Public Sector. Thankfully, they prefer to deal with the big boys (who can waste big time and big money) rather than tiddlers like me. That doesn't stop various local business groups trying to rope me in though - they never take the hint.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard
    You can be as clever as you like, as long as you're not an independent thinker.
    My experience has been the reverse (but it's been in the NHS, not civil service).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X