• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Jury Service

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jury Service"

Collapse

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo
    Sorry. Maybe you can come up with a short contract from your co that your wife won't be able to do because she is in court.

The evidence of earnings that I submitted for myself was a letter to the court from myself as director on headed paper. I wasn't sure that they would accept that on its own but they did.

Not that I am advocating fraud of course . A court has to be about the last place that you would want to do that
    I recently did jury service and presented them with a letter from my accountants showing loss of earnings.

You actually deal with the jury officers at the court who, as long as the letter looks legit, just pass it on to HMCS for payment. i.e they do not ask any questions.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    you've just ruined my weekend ....
    Sorry. Maybe you can come up with a short contract from your co that your wife won't be able to do because she is in court.

The evidence of earnings that I submitted for myself was a letter to the court from myself as director on headed paper. I wasn't sure that they would accept that on its own but they did.

Not that I am advocating fraud of course . A court has to be about the last place that you would want to do that
    Last edited by Gonzo; 15 July 2007, 22:51. Reason: Don't want to promote illegal behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo
    Hate to break this to you but they will only compensate for expenses and actual lost earnings up to £59.96 per day, they will want to see proof. So it will only help if Mrs Troll is on your company payroll.

I had to do Jury Service last year, after 7 days on a trial I handed in my evidence of earnings and the clerk's jaw hit the floor. She said "You do realise that the most we can pay out is £59 a day?". I was discharged after that.
    you've just ruined my weekend ....

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Result

Wifey has been called for jury service

Don't like the "The court may pay you up to the maximum allowance"
    But
    £59.96@day to the 10th day
    £119.93@day 10th to 200th day
    £210.54@day above 200 day

all plus travel

Every little helps

Kerrrrrching - & praying for a complex fraud trial a-la-Guiness lasting years

Means I'll have to make me own tea when I get home but hey ho
    Hate to break this to you but they will only compensate for expenses and actual lost earnings up to £59.96 per day, they will want to see proof. So it will only help if Mrs Troll is on your company payroll.

I had to do Jury Service last year, after 7 days on a trial I handed in my evidence of earnings and the clerk's jaw hit the floor. She said "You do realise that the most we can pay out is £59 a day?". I was discharged after that.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Already cracked that one... I see double bonus here if she's out earning, she's not at home watching daytime telly or out spending in shops
    She must be a very lucky lady.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Burdock
    Tell her not to forget her iPod and hijab
    Already cracked that one... I see double bonus here if she's out earning, she's not at home watching daytime telly or out spending in shops

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
    Can you say you don't want to do jury service ?? or is this why you need to get jury service insurance incase you do have to do it. Don't think i could survive if i was out of work for 100 days. Plus i would loose my contract is that not a good reason why i could say no.
    You can defer it, if they agree with your reasons, but you still don't avoid it.

I tried it some years back, as my client was going live at the time and I was the only one who knew anything about part of the system. Didn't work - they gave me the option of arguing it in front of a judge, or turn up.

Client didn't go live, as they needed me on-site and I couldn't be. Not happy all round - although the look on the PM's face when I told him I'd been called for jury duty for two weeks was fairly amusing.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
    Can you say you don't want to do jury service ?? or is this why you need to get jury service insurance incase you do have to do it. Don't think i could survive if i was out of work for 100 days. Plus i would loose my contract is that not a good reason why i could say no.
    You can say it but you still have to do it. Jury service is a civic duty and it is a good citizen's responsibility to arrange his affairs in such a way that he can discharge his civic duties.

I.e. when you work out how much money you can spend, and how much you need to have aside for a rainy day, you need to take the possibility of jury service into account.

Yes you might lose your contract. That's one of the differences between contracting and being employed. It's one of the many reasons why contract rates need to be higher than salary rates (or else you are being complicit in driving down wages and performing underpaid disguised employment).
    Last edited by Euro-commuter; 12 July 2007, 08:16.

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Result

Tell her not to forget her iPod and hijab

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied

No wonder the self employed avoid jury service

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I got called up for jury service in the late 80's. I was a marine engineer working Tugboats out of alexandra dock at the time, for Ocean shipping.
    They contacted the crown and got me an exemption as essential manpower.
    told them that operations would cease in the port etc.
    Sw!ne. It was the worst stormy weather in years.
    I really wanted that seat on the jury.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    started a topic Jury Service

Jury Service

Result

Don't like the "The court may pay you up to the maximum allowance"
    But

all plus travel

Every little helps

Kerrrrrching - & praying for a complex fraud trial a-la-Guiness lasting years

Means I'll have to make me own tea when I get home but hey ho

Working...
X