• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "how2 profit from the strong pound"

Collapse

• TheRightStuff
    replied
    Cater Allen do a good USD account. What needs to happen for the £/$ rate to go down?

Leave a comment:

• max
    replied
    Originally posted by pickle
    Hmm, Im not convinced buying into a falling property market and investing into a weakening currency at the same time is such a great idea. Sure, if you catch the bottom of both markets you could get rich, but I think the phrase is "like catching a falling knife". Try catching two at the same time, and you will most likely lose at least a few fingers.
    Yep..people who try to pick bottoms, get stinky fingers
    Last edited by max; 11 July 2007, 00:07.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    any ideas on how to profit from the strong pound
    Sell pounds.

hth

tl

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffoon
    It's a bastard when you earn in USD and spend in GBP !
    I'm paid in gold bullion, and diamonds as loose change. Purely to stay outside IR35.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    as for china, could do that, but the CP keeps interfering and it can be tricky to get rental income out

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    i reckon max rate for the pound is 2.20 , dont think we'll see it though

the economy here is fcuked so i'm pretty sure in the long term there will be a rebalancing, most likely pound and euro will fall against the dollar and bric countries will rise to match the rebalancing thats going on in the world economy

should just be a matter of timing the buy and the sell

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    The US could be in terminal decline they've had it far too good for far too long... sound familiar?? Watch this space!

China is your best bet but I wouldn't go on any of the roller coasters.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    When the UK property market popped last time you didn't want to be buying again for about 6 or 7 years. I'd hang on a bit yet !

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    It's a bastard when you earn in USD and spend in GBP !

Leave a comment:

• pickle
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts

i'm thinking purchasing a property in the states, due to the double whammy of falling prices and strong currency is the best bet
    Hmm, Im not convinced buying into a falling property market and investing into a weakening currency at the same time is such a great idea. Sure, if you catch the bottom of both markets you could get rich, but I think the phrase is "like catching a falling knife". Try catching two at the same time, and you will most likely lose at least a few fingers.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    I believe the dollar will fall further and so will the US property market. Might be a good short term plan of you can get rental income.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts

i'm thinking purchasing a property in the states, due to the double whammy of falling prices and strong currency is the best bet
    A bit of a whammy, if they haven’t stopped falling yet

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    When I was in cancun a couple of weeks back, I was shocked at how cheap the property was and it's not like its a run down area or anything, plus its growing all the time.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    started a topic how2 profit from the strong pound

how2 profit from the strong pound

Working...
X