• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Virgin loses Cross Country rail"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin
    Do you get the same train as me??!

My train this morning (if you can actually still call it a train) had 1 (one) carriage!!!! Hahaha how I laughed... until I had to smell several funky armpits at close range for 30 mins anyway...
    This morning there were two carriages..but it was the ancient bus-train type..which don't have enough power to travel our line unless there are two carriages. Completely covered in grime - I coudn't see out the window!

That's what we get for a foreign owned franchise which is subsidied at £6 per £2 of fare collected.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    Labour wouldn't want to offend it's buddies.

It would be interesting to find out how much National Express, Stagecoach et al. spend on lobbying. I'm sure we'd be quite shocked.
    No - but it could have been an interesting relationship between him and Gordo!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaqqer
    This was one of the points put forward by Jon Cruddas in the recent deputy leader elections - if the state is subsidising the company, then there should be no profits paid to the shareholders. Sadly, he didn't get in.
    Labour wouldn't want to offend it's buddies.

It would be interesting to find out how much National Express, Stagecoach et al. spend on lobbying. I'm sure we'd be quite shocked.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    If it is a susidised service then the company should not be taking any profit then?
    If the whole thing is being funded by the public then maybe it should be a nationalised industry where any profits go back into the business.
    Instead we see company after company take subsidies to run the network, but hike fares and pay large divvies and bonuses to to shareholders and executives.
    This was one of the points put forward by Jon Cruddas in the recent deputy leader elections - if the state is subsidising the company, then there should be no profits paid to the shareholders. Sadly, he didn't get in.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    ..like the train I take every day...crap.
    Do you get the same train as me??!

My train this morning (if you can actually still call it a train) had 1 (one) carriage!!!! Hahaha how I laughed... until I had to smell several funky armpits at close range for 30 mins anyway...

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    The franchises are for far too short a period. TOC either hike fares and then buy new gear or just run with crap..like the train I take every day...crap.

And, any train company that declares a profit whilst recieving a subsidy must have used public money to declare that profit. How do they get away with that? ahhh...ain't Sir Richard a good buddy of Labour?

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    The railways are one industry that should not have been privatised. The whole point of privatisation is choice. What choice does the consumer have?
    None!

The privatised railways are soaking up just as much tax payer money for a sh1te service. The french manage to run a superb state railway system, why can't we?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    If it is a susidised service then the company should not be taking any profit then?
    If the whole thing is being funded by the public then maybe it should be a nationalised industry where any profits go back into the business.
    Instead we see company after company take subsidies to run the network, but hike fares and pay large divvies and bonuses to to shareholders and executives.
    Noooooo - I'm agreeing with you again.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I don't know about the size of the subsidy, buy nobody could run the trains unsubsidised - privately or publicly. And there'd end up being no (or almost no) train service which would cause other problems on the transport network.

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    replied
    are Virgin still going for the GNER line ?

Must admit i have used the Cross Country and they do look a bit crap.

I then used the pendalino's for just over a year and they are very nice. Alot of money invested in those things.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Why are arriva getting a 1.05Bin subsidy? If they can't run the business then they should not have got the contract. OR they should not be allowed to take profits while being subsidised.

It is just plain wrong.
    I don't know about the size of the subsidy, buy nobody could run the trains unsubsidised - privately or publicly. And there'd end up being no (or almost no) train service which would cause other problems on the transport network.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Why are arriva getting a 1.05Bin subsidy? If they can't run the business then they should not have got the contract. OR they should not be allowed to take profits while being subsidised.

It is just plain wrong.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Isn't this why the trains are so crap? The fact that they go up for tender so often means that no company wants to invest too much in rolling stock.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    started a topic Virgin loses Cross Country rail

Virgin loses Cross Country rail

Thank feck for that!

And they can take their overcrowded, sewage-smelling carriages with them!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6286904.stm

Virgin trains >

Working...
X