• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Le Speedo

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Le Speedo"

Collapse

• el duder
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
    What's stopping you touching your meat whilst in the pool ?

has anyone here had the experience of either depositing or witnessing a 'floater' in the public baths?

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    I was on an easyjet flight back from France and in the magazine there was an article that tried to explain why swimming shorts are banned from all public swimming pools in France, the argument they gave is you could go into a shop with your shorts on, touch some meat and then go for a swim which would contaminate the pool.

Are the French mad? Discus….
    What's stopping you touching your meat whilst in the pool ?

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    nah. i don't know nuffink. except how to type into the wikipedia search box.

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23
    yeah - right. let me hand over the keys to my car while i borrow some skanky speedos.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Cornouaille is an historic region in Brittany, in northwest France. "Les Cornouailles", however, is the French for Cornwall in Great Britain. There is a chance that the name Cornouaille was given in relation to the region of the British Isles. (This happened for Devon, formerly called Dumnonia in Latin, la Domnonée becoming the name of the equivalent region in Brittany in the early Middle Ages.)

The original Germanic name (Corn-whealas) means "the corner of foreigners" [lit. Horn of Welsh] in reference to the resettling of the Celts from over the English Channel by the Anglo-Saxon invaders.

The region was first mentioned by this name between 852 and 857 when the Bishop of Saint-Corentin, Anaweten, took over "Cornugallensis".

The existence of a district of ancient Anjou called "La Cornuaille" has led to the hypothesis that it was a geographical or military label for all of southern Brittany as far as the northern shore of la Domnonée in the 6th or 7th century.

At the origin of this feudal county, the reigning dynasty acceded to a dukedom of the region, which then passed to the bishop of Quimper.

The name Cornouaille signifies the diocese of Quimper which persisted until the French Revolution. The diocese covered more than half of the south of Finistère, and extended over part of Morbihan and the Côtes-d'Armor. There were two arch-deacons, one for Cornouaille and one for Poher. There were also a cantor, a treasurer, a theologian and twelve canons. This episcopal division was the poorest in Brittany.

After the French Revolution, the new constitution created a diocese of Finistère, erasing that of Kerne/Cournouaille; most of the old diocese was absorbed into the new.

In Breton, the region is known as "Kernev" or "Bro-Gernev", and in Latin as "Cornugallia" or "Cornubia".
    Wow! You knew all that?

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956
    Is there such a place? Are you sure you weren't in Cornwall? I'm from Cornwall, and I've never heard of a French area going by the same name (only in French obviously).
    Cornouaille is an historic region in Brittany, in northwest France. "Les Cornouailles", however, is the French for Cornwall in Great Britain. There is a chance that the name Cornouaille was given in relation to the region of the British Isles. (This happened for Devon, formerly called Dumnonia in Latin, la Domnonée becoming the name of the equivalent region in Brittany in the early Middle Ages.)

The original Germanic name (Corn-whealas) means "the corner of foreigners" [lit. Horn of Welsh] in reference to the resettling of the Celts from over the English Channel by the Anglo-Saxon invaders.

The region was first mentioned by this name between 852 and 857 when the Bishop of Saint-Corentin, Anaweten, took over "Cornugallensis".

The existence of a district of ancient Anjou called "La Cornuaille" has led to the hypothesis that it was a geographical or military label for all of southern Brittany as far as the northern shore of la Domnonée in the 6th or 7th century.

At the origin of this feudal county, the reigning dynasty acceded to a dukedom of the region, which then passed to the bishop of Quimper.

The name Cornouaille signifies the diocese of Quimper which persisted until the French Revolution. The diocese covered more than half of the south of Finistère, and extended over part of Morbihan and the Côtes-d'Armor. There were two arch-deacons, one for Cornouaille and one for Poher. There were also a cantor, a treasurer, a theologian and twelve canons. This episcopal division was the poorest in Brittany.

After the French Revolution, the new constitution created a diocese of Finistère, erasing that of Kerne/Cournouaille; most of the old diocese was absorbed into the new.

In Breton, the region is known as "Kernev" or "Bro-Gernev", and in Latin as "Cornugallia" or "Cornubia".

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    I was only jesting Jedi...
    We're cool

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    I used the term speedo's as that is what they are commonly known as but most people would know that the logo reads 'speedo' therefore it would read 'peedo' ...but it was only a very poor joke so don't worry about it too much.

I was only jesting Jedi...

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    So are we saying Speedo or peedo's?
    I used the term speedo's as that is what they are commonly known as but most people would know that the logo reads 'speedo' therefore it would read 'peedo' ...but it was only a very poor joke so don't worry about it too much.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    But what would the place be like without the tourists... ?
    Pleasant. Have you seen what they've done to Newquay and Land's End?

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    I was on an easyjet flight back from France and in the magazine there was an article that tried to explain why swimming shorts are banned from all public swimming pools in France, the argument they gave is you could go into a shop with your shorts on, touch some meat and then go for a swim which would contaminate the pool.

Are the French mad? Discus….
    Silly French types, stop incorporating butchers shops with swimming pools, then.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Yes I gigled like a schoolboy when I read it.

BTW I took the kids swimming the other day and was asked to leave because the 'S' had came off my Speedo's, seems a bit harsh!

So are we saying Speedo or peedo's?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956
    Emmets!
    But what would the place be like without the tourists... ?

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    and equally as welcoming to the English
    Emmets!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    remarkable similarities in dress and diet between french and english versions of cornwall.
    and equally as welcoming to the English

Leave a comment:

Working...
X