• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Future Britain

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Future Britain"

Collapse

• crimdon
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    I watched a film called "V" for vengeance where the houses of Parliament were blown up on Sky movies last night. There are a lot of "trash" moves that seem to become more realistic about the type of society we will be living in in the future (if you leave out the antics of Stallone & Wesley Snipes etc). Demolition man is one, Logans run another.

Any more?
    I prefer Soylent Green

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    I think this is known as "white flight" ... and appears to be accelerating.
    Unfortunately Canada & the US have similar problems.. only Aus appears to have braved the PC storm and maintained a sensible immigration policy, trouble is Aus is a desert
    It's also full of Australians.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    The other day on the BBC website there was an article about NHS goals, full of the usual Birtspeak (management / social worker gobbledegook, for people who don't read Private Eye) and reading between the soothing lines and sanitised phrases I saw for the first time with ghastly clarity what the UK will be like in 50 years or less, if present trends continue, especially once robots start doing all the "useful" jobs.

Everyone will be assigned a social worker, or "life health monitor" or some such crap euphemistic title, and have regular visits to review their life, and of course round the clock monitoring by computers and other gadgets (possibly attached to or embedded in peoples' bodies) and far more powerful and all-embracing than anything around today.

There will be paltry patronising rewards for approved activity (such as informing on violations by others) and subtle penalties or deprivations for those who don't cooperate, even with the most trivial intrusive directions such as a detailed diet plan. (Forget smoking or drinking.) There will be less personal freedom than a medievil serf's, and without even the liberty to take to the road, or get pissed once in a while, or roll in the hay with whoever takes your fancy.

That's no exaggeration either - State-run health systems, as exemplified by the NHS, are the nearest modern equivalent of the medievil church, which ran everyone's life and oven ordered kings and aristocrats around. Look how governments jump like startled rabbits each time a posse of doctors (our revered modern priests of the body cult) issues some ridiculous report. State health systems are the perfect stalking horse for a gradual totalitarian takeover, a stealthy descent of a fluffy blanket to smother freedom in its comforting folds.

Reading over the above, I realise it only describes a corny picture familiar from a hundred SF films, like Logan's Run. But I still think most people are blissfully unware of the murky potential of the NHS and other government run social programs when money is no object and few have anything better to do than meddle in the affairs of others.

As historian Lord Macaulay expressed it about something else (quoting from memory) "Today's bright morning star may become by nightfall an ominous, glittering portent of revelation" ...
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 9 July 2007, 19:52.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
    The few weeks / months / years has un-settled me for where i think Britain is going to be in the next few years / decades.

The amount of tax we pay on everything and the amount of crap that goes on is making me and Miss Cooperinliverp00l to really consider leaving it all behind and move to Australia / America.

Can house prices continue to raise, Tax continue to raise, introduction of road pricing, crap NHS and Transport,

Is the grass likely to be greener in another country ? What would you do
    I think this is known as "white flight" ... and appears to be accelerating.
    Unfortunately Canada & the US have similar problems.. only Aus appears to have braved the PC storm and maintained a sensible immigration policy, trouble is Aus is a desert
    What do you mean, "similar problems"? The OP mentioned mainly money and fiscal problems, not immigration or race.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Yes bring him back
    Go visit:

http://shawadiwadi.blogspot.com/

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy
    I really miss Bob Shawadiwadi
    Yes bring him back

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    check these stats out. I particularily am worried about the privacy rankings.

http://www.photius.com/rankings/index.html

As if life isn't depressing enough

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    And if you want to be happy check out this list.
    http://www.happyplanetindex.org/list.htm

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    check these stats out. I particularily am worried about the privacy rankings.

http://www.photius.com/rankings/index.html

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I really miss Bob Shawadiwadi

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    your job at half the salary
    And 1/10 the living costs...win win.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffoon
    That is very true. And in most of them there is no protection against discrimination as there is here.

It comes as a shock to many when they have to pay for health care and their kid’s education too. It makes you realise why so many want to come here.

A thick skin and deep pockets are required.
    I do that anyway, don't all contractors ??

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Surely the best place to go is India, since you speak their language already (English) and they have your job there waiting for you?
    your job at half the salary

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffoon
    A thick skin and deep pockets are required.
    Remember that British are often considered aloof and arrogant around the world...so yeah you will have to put with that.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Surely the best place to go is India, since you speak their language already (English) and they have your job there waiting for you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X