• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Drivers manners these days"

Collapse

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang
    That has always been the case for the Advanced test. "Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre" - with Manoeuvre being broken down into: "Position, Speed, Look".

Nothings changed - it's just been brought into the regular test.
    "Mirror, Signal, Manouvre" was the drill when I took my driving test in 1973. It's been standard for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Drivers manners these days...

...it's all relative as they say.

"for the third year in a row the number of fatalities on Belgian motorways has increased"*

* yep I know statistics an all that

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    People merging that don't look - we are not in France with its "Prioritie a Droite". Now when I am in the lorry I just carry on regardless (unless its another lorry). Amazing that I've only had one person hit me doing that. Better still that she got all angry about my refusal to pull over into the middle lane. I let her rant herself silly till the policeman asked her why she hadnt seent he big lorry and mentioned the words "due care and attention".

People who dont indicate - Not fussed about the people that dont indicate when going straight on but those that dont indicate when going right on a roundabout when you pull ouy on them they look upset

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    Get a 10 year old 4x4 ... then they don't pull out
    But in a 30 year old Land Rover, they assume you are going slowly and pull out anyway. There are 2 problems with that:

a) you aren't going that slowly
    b) old Land Rovers take a lot of stopping

Pet hates:

lack of lane discipline on motorways
    lack of lane discipline on roundabouts

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    And when was the first (or last) time someone was done for this?
    Probably around the time the police did something about any crime less severe than a murder.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    What really gets on my tits is when people start putting them on as soon as it starts to rain a little bit....

I'm told that you are told to do this in the highway code nowdays, god knows why. Yes lights on when it's raining makes sense, dazzling me with a fog light when you barely need to turn your wipers on does not!!!
    You can get 3 points for driving with fog lights on when it is not foggy!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Burdock
    yeah, on they come in a light mist....thinking they are an oil tanker in a peasouper.
    What really gets on my tits is when people start putting them on as soon as it starts to rain a little bit....

I'm told that you are told to do this in the highway code nowdays, god knows why. Yes lights on when it's raining makes sense, dazzling me with a fog light when you barely need to turn your wipers on does not!!!

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black
    - Foglights
    yeah, on they come in a light mist....thinking they are an oil tanker in a peasouper.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Pet hates:
    - Tailgating
    - Staying in the middle lane of the motorway when there's nothing in the inside lane
    - Arrogant tw@ts trying to make up for small genitals in BMWs, Mercs and 4x4s
    - 4x4s on the school run
    - The school run
    - Not indicating
    - Foglights
    - The whole "speed kills" propaganda. Inapropriate speed is dangerous sure... Time and a place and all that...

As a general rule, I usually let a car out at junctions etc when in a traffic queue UNLESS they happen to be in an aforementioned BMW, Merc or 4x4. Then I just let let the feckers wait - taste of their own medicine hahahaha.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    I drive a 10 year old 4x4 and always go by the road markings. If they hit me they will come off worst.

I was in the left lane on a road where the right lane was due to merge into the left lane. Drivers were coming up on the right and trying to jump in rather than merge. I let in one car and went to move forward when a young greasy looking dude in a Passat tried to push in. At one point we were side by side...he then moved over and so our cars were actually touching and I could see he was trying to push me onto the grass!!!! I thought FFS, this is a Toyota Hilux, it is HUUUGE and you are driving a Passat...what are you doing.

He got p*ssed off when I then forced him onto the other side of the road!!!!
    Exactly.... I have manners and consideration for other road users... but some feckers try to play chicken with my 4x4 and their Golf... I love it when they realise that I'm not going to blink

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    There is one which annoys the hell out of me which happens every time I use this roundabout. The roundabout is above the M62 and intersects with the m627. When joining you are in a road which is 3 lanes wide. The left hand lane is clearly marked for left turns only. Therefore any cars in this lane should go straight down the slip road and onto the motorway. If you are in the middle lane you should make your way to the left most lane on the roundabout, and if you are in lane 3 you should aim for the middle lane.

What usually happens is either

1 - car in the left lane is actually going straight over and so forces all the other cars over. Particularly annoying when you are in lane 3, and need to go straight on, as indicated by the road markings.

2 - the car in lane 2, goes straight for the middle lane dispite the fact that the car in lane 1 has turned off onto the motorway.

The best part is that they actually have lines on the road to indicate the lane you should be driving towards. Why do they think they took the trouble to paint them? To make it look pretty?

I'm tempted to drive the way indicated by the road markings, but self preservation usually kicks in.
    I drive a 10 year old 4x4 and always go by the road markings. If they hit me they will come off worst.

I was in the left lane on a road where the right lane was due to merge into the left lane. Drivers were coming up on the right and trying to jump in rather than merge. I let in one car and went to move forward when a young greasy looking dude in a Passat tried to push in. At one point we were side by side...he then moved over and so our cars were actually touching and I could see he was trying to push me onto the grass!!!! I thought FFS, this is a Toyota Hilux, it is HUUUGE and you are driving a Passat...what are you doing.

He got p*ssed off when I then forced him onto the other side of the road!!!!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    There is one which annoys the hell out of me which happens every time I use this roundabout. The roundabout is above the M62 and intersects with the m627. When joining you are in a road which is 3 lanes wide. The left hand lane is clearly marked for left turns only. Therefore any cars in this lane should go straight down the slip road and onto the motorway. If you are in the middle lane you should make your way to the left most lane on the roundabout, and if you are in lane 3 you should aim for the middle lane.

What usually happens is either

1 - car in the left lane is actually going straight over and so forces all the other cars over. Particularly annoying when you are in lane 3, and need to go straight on, as indicated by the road markings.

2 - the car in lane 2, goes straight for the middle lane dispite the fact that the car in lane 1 has turned off onto the motorway.

The best part is that they actually have lines on the road to indicate the lane you should be driving towards. Why do they think they took the trouble to paint them? To make it look pretty?

I'm tempted to drive the way indicated by the road markings, but self preservation usually kicks in.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    This is tongue in cheek right?
    You really must be joking
    Thats the way some people really see it, but thats a p1ss take of course

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
    Me too. Sad or what...
    I think a bumper sticker which says 'HAVE YOU EVER STUDIED F'ING QUEUEING THEORY??' is in order

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    Not at all.
    1. Middle and if necessary outside lanes are for those who go faster, or want to if they're not held up.
    2. You can drive as close as you like to the car in front, because if he sees something to make him brake, so will you. If he brakes when you can see it's not really necessary, and you hit him, that's his fault.
    This is tongue in cheek right?

1/ the middle lane is the overtaking lane, the outside lane is the 'overtaking only' lane. The idea is to move over as soon as is safe to do so.

2/ that's what causes accidents and jams. If you leave a gap you can see if you need to brake or not, often you don't need to. With tailgatting you always need to brake. What if he fails to brake for a hazzard and you both crash into it?

You really must be joking

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I've got one to add to the list. People that don't indicate when they overtake cyclists. I find this more disturbing than people that overtake very close, which is something you just get used to. The thing with indicating is that the vehicle behind you might not be aware that the cyclist is there. This is especially true with vans and big 4x4s with blacked out windows. They move out a fraction without indicating, overtake, and there's a good chance that the vehicle behind won't move out at all. I've had some really scary close misses from that scenario, and hardly anyone indicates as they overtake cyclists.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X