• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Pre Interview Test

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pre Interview Test"

Collapse

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Don't you mean...

Step 1

Use .NET Reflector to get the source code of the M$ DateTime classes.

Step 2.

Scream in terror at the horror that is MS source code

Step 3.

Rewrite it properly.

Step 4.

Smile smugly.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Simple.

Step 1

Step 2.

Copy & Paste

Step 3.

Smile smugly.

Don't you mean...

Step 1

Step 2.

Scream in terror at the horror that is MS source code

Step 3.

Rewrite it properly.

Step 4.

Smile smugly.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by HankWangford
    A friend of mine has been asked to complete the following pre-phone interview test.
    FFS you wouldn't ask a bloke to come round to fix your car stereo then make before he starts make him rewire your great grandfathers gramophone just to make sure he was suitable....

would you do it? I told him to tell them to fek orf

Please write a small application that can calculate the difference in days between two dates.

The application should meet the following requirements:

• It should be written in C# and .NET
    • The code must not use the DateTime or other date functionality provided within the .NET library, this is a test of coding, not of knowledge of the .NET FCL
    Simple.

Step 1

Step 2.

Copy & Paste

Step 3.

Smile smugly.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    The more I think of it, the more I think it's not such a bad test of coding. A less horribly contrived one would be of course.

You'd end up with about 1 screen's worth of code, and you'd be able to see how well factored it was, what the guy's commenting was like etc; whether he's from the 'keep it simple' or the 'OO purist' school of thought etc.

I'd be sensible who I gave it to though!

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    A friend of mine has been asked to complete the following pre-phone interview test.
    FFS you wouldn't ask a bloke to come round to fix your car stereo then make before he starts make him rewire your great grandfathers gramophone just to make sure he was suitable....

would you do it? I told him to tell them to fek orf
    I would do it at a charge, to be detracted from the first invoice if they hire you

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    The application should meet the following requirements:

• It should be written in C# and .NET
    • The code must not use the DateTime or other date functionality provided within the .NET library, this is a test of coding, not of knowledge of the .NET FCL
    • The code can be as complex or as simple as you think is needed to meet the requirements.
    • The code must be able to be compiled, run and tested.
    • The code should be supplied in a Zip file
    I would knock it out in as small and efficent a program as was possible and when they came back to me tell them where to stick thier job. When they ask why tell them because of the stupid menial testing process that they made me do and I would make it clear that any professional would see something like this as a huge insult.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Being a contractor, I would basically do anything legal & ethical for the right amount of money.

So I would play ball and do their little test, but add the 'customer is a git' surcharge to the day rate before going into negotiation.

I would even wrap it in a unit test shell because I'm such a goodie.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    The code must not use the DateTime or other date functionality provided within the .NET library, this is a test of coding, not of knowledge of the .NET FCL
    A good coder would use the library. End of.

It's a crap, dull, pointless and tedious test. Your friend should refuse to do it.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I wouldnt do the test when the market is good.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule
    Rob his piggy bank then - that'll learn 'im.

Oh, the moral turmoil!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    Mine lives with his mum and I have him every second weekend...but still costs me a fortune. Just last weekend he taxed my iPOD off me!!!!!
    Rob his piggy bank then - that'll learn 'im.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    I think so, not having any I obviously can't understand the moral turmoil that would put you in...

Mine lives with his mum and I have him every second weekend...but still costs me a fortune. Just last weekend he taxed my iPOD off me!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I think so, not having any I obviously can't understand the moral turmoil that would put you in...

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    The compound interest over 2000+ years would be worth a mint...

Is it bad to rob your childs piggy bank then?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    Jesus saves????? Piggy bank raid time....
    The compound interest over 2000+ years would be worth a mint...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X