• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Father jailed for refusing to pay child maintenance"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Swamp Thing
    100% spot-on. As a non-resident parent paying maintenance, there are so many aspects of the system I would like to challenge. But I do not have the time, resource, emotional availability and yes, the courage to do it. But this guy did. I feel sorry for his predicament but I admire his courage.
    You could join http://www.fathers-4-justice.org . costs £30 per year and will help a great deal.

At the moment they(we!) are trying to organise a demo outside the prison he is being held in. I will put the adress up here when they stop moving him between prisons in case anyone wants to write to him.

Another way to help is to contact your MP.

Too many fathers dont do either the above which makes it very hard to challange the system. If all did a little bit it there is a chance of getting some change.

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    Gibbon,

my sentiments exactly, patience is a virtue in this sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Swamp Thing
    100% spot-on. As a non-resident parent paying maintenance, there are so many aspects of the system I would like to challenge. But I do not have the time, resource, emotional availability and yes, the courage to do it. But this guy did. I feel sorry for his predicament but I admire his courage.
    Seconded. Likewise thirded in wendigo's case.

The phrase "all that is necessary" etc springs to mind. Standing up for principles sometimes costs, too much for some, though the benefits in the end might be received by many.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB
    He has discovered the cost of his principles.
    He is obviously not a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Gibbon: this is good to know, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    I actually offered some of the divis to be taken into account and they wouldn't.

Sent my wage slips in and just waiting confirmation.

The courts can rule that your delibratley withholding divis but the CSA can't make your Ltd company pay them out as it's a separate legal entity.

In any case it gets messy and I will do the new company carousal etc make someone else director allsorts of fun and games.

I would have carried on paying a reasonable amount and will still make sure my son doesn't go short. But my ex won't be getting it.

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon
    However my case worker says that they can't take divis into account so she will be getting about £20 a week based on my salary

Ok there will be appeals and tribunals, but it's only four years til my son is 18.
    Gibbon, are you sure about the divis not being taken into account? Has your case-worker put this in writing? I had always thought that if put to the test, the CSA would interpret divis as deemed salary and apply the % on the net amount (as if it had undergone PAYE).

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Sometimes it's best to play the long game, my ex without doubt used maintenance to furbish her own lifestyle even upto buying and keeping a horse whilst only working part time. However the kids were happy, I got to see them and they do evantully grow up. My daughter is now 18 and finished
    sitting A - levels and I no longer have to pay her mother for her. My ex has just lost maintanence for her and child benefit and tax credits. She now has to sell the horse . She's not happy about this and now wants me to pay more for my son who is 14. She has now gone to the CSA after 10 years.

However my case worker says that they can't take divis into account so she will be getting about £20 a week based on my salary

Ok there will be appeals and tribunals, but it's only four years til my son is 18.

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    I'm not sure what you mean by that VM, but although it is true, IMHO without people like him fighting against bad law we'd be in a sorry state. Who here bends over and pays IR35 taxes? Should we knock Arctic Systems for their stand against S660?

It is only highly-publicised cases like this that can change the CSA for the better.

Quote: "Last year, it was said the agency had an estimated £3 billion in unrecovered debt and a backlog of 333,000 cases." It is wrong to try and recover that from unjustified but easy targets.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby
    as someone who is paying CSA in a similiar situation, it is subsidised. it is reduced by x/7 when you have the child more than 110 nights a year (old rules) ie. i have my lad 3 nights a week and cos this is more than 110 nights a year i pay 4/7 of the overall total of CSA.

the major pisser with the CSA at present is that new claims are done on the new rules. assessing me on the new rules would see me at least £20 a week better off. but they wont change people from old rules to new. if i stopped paying they would go mental and take it direct from employer, or get me in another way.

The whole system is a waste of money. i forced down the csa route due to ex signing on, but now that has changed, we agreeing a figure and dropping the CSA involvement. she stands to make an extra £20 a mth (to cover extra high school costs) but then no one needs to know how much i earn as a contractor! we're happy with that.
    Make sure you have the CSA dropped in writing...

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Maxamus
    the good always get shafted. Thats why i put in fraudently reciepts and expenses!

**** YOU IR!!!!!!!
    C'MON GET ME YOU BA54ARDS !!!!
    Knock Knock

Leave a comment:

• Maxamus
    replied
    Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
    Alas the good often get shafted.
    the good always get shafted. Thats why i put in fraudently reciepts and expenses!

**** YOU IR!!!!!!!
    C'MON GET ME YOU BA54ARDS !!!!

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    Originally posted by Let-Me-In
    Why should he have to pay £360 \ month if he has them 50% of the time?

The money is to cover cost of raising the kid, not to subsidise her lifestyle...
    as someone who is paying CSA in a similiar situation, it is subsidised. it is reduced by x/7 when you have the child more than 110 nights a year (old rules) ie. i have my lad 3 nights a week and cos this is more than 110 nights a year i pay 4/7 of the overall total of CSA.

the major pisser with the CSA at present is that new claims are done on the new rules. assessing me on the new rules would see me at least £20 a week better off. but they wont change people from old rules to new. if i stopped paying they would go mental and take it direct from employer, or get me in another way.

The whole system is a waste of money. i forced down the csa route due to ex signing on, but now that has changed, we agreeing a figure and dropping the CSA involvement. she stands to make an extra £20 a mth (to cover extra high school costs) but then no one needs to know how much i earn as a contractor! we're happy with that.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon
    I suspect there is more than meets the eye here. The CSA are not automatically involved unless the parent with care is claiming means tested benefits in relation to the children. So either the ex-wife put a claim in or she was as I suspect at one time claiming benefits. If so then you the tax payer were helping him support his kids.

If he had given his ex-wife enough money to help her stop claiming benefits the CSA would never have been involved, I know this as this is exactly my cicumstances.
    His ex put in a claim. He was paying for the kids anyway. One of the reasons I would never pay my ex a penny until she withdrew her CSA claim in writing. He is a good man who tried to do the right thing. Alas the good often get shafted.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by ookook
    i am never getting married

you mean never having kids,

but thanks in a small way for strengthing the gene pool.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X