• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Negotiating Time Off"

Collapse

• el duder
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRightStuff
    sweet
    sweet indeed!

Leave a comment:

• TheRightStuff
    replied
    Originally posted by el duder
    No every weds for the duration of my contract.
    sweet

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    So you got one wednesday off ?

No every weds for the duration of my contract.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Yup, i got the Weds working from home.

Tactics where just pure negotiation skills.

I said i would postpone my holiday and cover the team for the whole of August, if they allow me to take one day working from home.
    So you got one wednesday off ?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

I said i would postpone my holiday and cover the team for the whole of August, if they allow me to take one day working from home.
    How can you answer the phone if you're at home on a Wednesday?

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    If it works tell me your tactics so I can use them on my client.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I have just been asked to extend my contract for a further 3 months...

Good news.

However, i had intended to take a month off from work, and return in September if the client wanted me back.

My client says it is not possible to take 4 weeks off, as they need cover for other perm employees holiday entitlement.

They have asked me to reconsider my 4 weeks to 2 weeks holidays.

I already feel like a ******* permie here. Whats the deal?
    What other contracts are there out there? How flexible do you want to be?

If it were me, then I'd walk - holiday is too important to me, plus the market for my skills is pretty good, so I don't worry about finding a contract too often. If you don't think you'll get another role, want to stay, or don't want to cancel the holiday, then you may as well extend.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I don't think breaking down in tears and collapsing on the floor works that often, getting that pathetic looser look just right is a fine art.....

Leave a comment:

• TheRightStuff
    replied
    You read my mind. Very well.

Ill let you know the outcome.

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    Why not tell them you will reduce your 4 weeks to 2 weeks but would like to work a 4 day week for the rest of the contract. Take Wednesday off so it breaks the week up. You only ever work 2 days in a row.

You read my mind. Very well.

Ill let you know the outcome.

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    replied
    Why not tell them you will reduce your 4 weeks to 2 weeks but would like to work a 4 day week for the rest of the contract. Take Wednesday off so it breaks the week up. You only ever work 2 days in a row.
    I like that idea. 2 Days in a row will try that one out shortly

Leave a comment:

• TheRightStuff
    replied
    I have just been asked to extend my contract for a further 3 months...

Good news.

However, i had intended to take a month off from work, and return in September if the client wanted me back.

My client says it is not possible to take 4 weeks off, as they need cover for other perm employees holiday entitlement.

They have asked me to reconsider my 4 weeks to 2 weeks holidays.

I already feel like a ******* permie here. Whats the deal?

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Duder,
    Do what I recently did:
    "Yes I'm happy to accept the extension, although I have committed to £xxx of deposits/air fares etc, as I thought at the time there’d be no extension. I’ll let you have my mobile number if you need me”. Worked just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Or bring your substitution clause into play

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Walk away. It is not negotiable (unless you want it to be).

You might want to consider doubling your rate for that period as compensation.

But in the end you should just walk.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X