• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor lifecycle...."

Collapse

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Time contracting - 3.5 years
    Longest gig - 1 year
    Max bench time - 6 weeks (including Christmas)

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    11 Years / 24 Months & One day / 3 Months

24 months as is a personal rule never to do longer even when i have the chance, which had a few times
    3 months was unplanned, have taken a year off planned

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    Length of time being a contractor? 5 years
    Longest contract? 18 months
    Longest period out of contract? 4 weeks & 12 months travelling round the world.

Leave a comment:

• LGDT
    replied
    21 years
    4.5 years
    10 months - my choice sabbatical and retraining. Enforced 3 weeks. But usually hop from one to another with no problem.

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    14 years (oh dear I'm an old fart) (started working in 87, started contracting in '93)
    2.5 years (I got bored)
    3 months (off to do something else gromit)

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    how long: 0x16 months
    longest: 0x0c months (so far)
    benched: 0x06 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    And count in hex.
    But can you do it if you leave you shoes and socks on?

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    29 years EC? We are not worthy! Does that include your paper round?
    Nope. Started programming 1975 on COBOL. A mate from school started 2 years before by the time I did it, there were machines to punch the cards, that actually printed the code along the top. Not all of them did though, so I learned to read 80-col card. And count in hex.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractIn
    Interested in getting a general view of the life cycle of a contractor?....If you got 2 secs, would be grateful to answer the following?

What is…
    Length of time being a contractor? 2.5 years
    Longest contract? 18 months
    Longest period out of contract? 0 days/months

What is…
    Length of time being a contractor? 1.99 years
    Longest contract? 3 months
    Longest period out of contract? 1.41 yrs

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    8 months/4 months (so far in current contract)/0 (but already fantasising about end of current contract for a break)

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Maybe he is trying to get the oldest contractor title!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    29 years / 10 years / 1 year.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Rantor
    Great lifestyle if you make the effort though a lot of blokes just end up becoming complete steamers. Fantastic diving, sailing, fishing, team sports. Great base for US travel. One of the most beautiful places I have ever set eyes on.

Downside - price of accomodation is utterly ludicrous now (big gripe with locals) and the wages, although largely tax free, are not that great whne living costs are taken into account (indeed 100k us is still difficult to get.) Jobs margely aimed at candaians as they are are seen as cheaper to hire. Insanely cliquey and villagey 'national' life that is best taken with a pinch of salt.
    Sounds a bit like Zurich, accept its difficult to find an apartment outside the two moving months April and October. Can you stay resident there after you finish working there? I am resident in Zurich till the end of this year latest, then I have to find somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked
    Have you worked out there?
    I did 3.5 yrs there in the mid-late nineties - still keep in touch with some chums out there and nearly moved back in 2003 (imminent appearance of mini-rantor put paid to that.)

Great lifestyle if you make the effort though a lot of blokes just end up becoming complete steamers. Fantastic diving, sailing, fishing, team sports. Great base for US travel. One of the most beautiful places I have ever set eyes on.

Downside - price of accomodation is utterly ludicrous now (big gripe with locals) and the wages, although largely tax free, are not that great whne living costs are taken into account (indeed 100k us is still difficult to get.) Jobs margely aimed at candaians as they are are seen as cheaper to hire. Insanely cliquey and villagey 'national' life that is best taken with a pinch of salt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X