• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Say 'No' to interviews"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    I have to say, I'd do it. If it's a technical interview especially, then it's no different to being asked to give your opinion on a matter based on your expertise. Which is what we do.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I believe that TheRightStuff is on the right track and being professional in looking after his business. Just scale things up to see:

"hey McKinsey, I want to take some work off you and give it to one of your competitors instead. But I'm having trouble deciding between Accenture and PWC. Please could you give me a hand?"

can you see why McKinsey might not want to be entirely cooperative?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    I was asked to interview a geezer for the client last year. My interview ended up in a case for discrimination.

At the time I thought the interview had gone quite well ...

Leave a comment:

• christhecontractor
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRightStuff
    As long as they sign it I don't give a feck. You should of said he will remember that when you ask for a pay rise/extension.
    should have said!!!!! (not of).

I don't agree about the interview, you're contracted to do general IT work for the company and in this instance, the work they wanted you to do was interview someone.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    That was me wasn't it?
    No, he definitely didn't have scales.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    And I bet you don't need to be a member of mensa to work that one out. well said!
    Good job too. I tend to be fairly dim by the time Friday afternoon comes around...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut
    I've been a technical contact on a few interviews for the client, either recruiting for additional members of the same team as me, or for different teams where I have still had some relevant input to offer.

I consider it a case of the client using the right person's expertise to assist them during the interview, whether that person is a permanent member of the workforce or an external consultant has little bearing on it I would say.
    And I bet you don't need to be a member of mensa to work that one out. well said!

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    I've been a technical contact on a few interviews for the client, either recruiting for additional members of the same team as me, or for different teams where I have still had some relevant input to offer.

I consider it a case of the client using the right person's expertise to assist them during the interview, whether that person is a permanent member of the workforce or an external consultant has little bearing on it I would say.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    Most clients want permie behaviour, that's why most people on here work a 37.5 hour week, bums on seat. Acting like a bolshy shop steward isn't likely to lead to an offer of a renewal.
    Partly right, Numpty. Working practices are pretty important though. You can have a sensible conversation without being bolshy.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Most clients want permie behaviour, that's why most people on here work a 37.5 hour week, bums on seat. Acting like a bolshy shop steward isn't likely to lead to an offer of a renewal.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon
    Completely agree. It only gets sticky when the client wants permie behaviour from the contractor.
    Which is generally what the client wants as it gives them the most flexibility and control.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    why would I or a contractor want things to be any different?
    Completely agree. It only gets sticky when the client wants permie behaviour from the contractor.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon
    I mean you like it when the client is happy.

HTH

why would I or a contractor want things to be any different?

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Point completely missed
    I mean you like it when the client is happy.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956
    That happened to me once. I was asked to be involved in recruiting my replacement, as my contract was due to expire, and I didn't want to renew. I didn't mind doing it, and helped out in the interviews, on a technical level at least.

We found a guy who was ideal for the job, had the right technical experience, etc, and interviewed really well. When he turned up after I'd gone, he turned out to be a complete nutter. He kept shouting "They're coming to get me!", and getting more out of it as the day went on. He had a large bottle of "water" on his desk - the other people in the team suspected it was vodka.

I think he lasted 3 days.
    In other words you found your perfect replacement

Leave a comment:

Working...
X