• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What extras do you put on your CV"

Collapse

• angusglover
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot
    Tried that, and it was a complete waste of time and money (only about £30 though). The lady couldn't seem to grasp the concept of an IT contractor not having career ambitions to speak of and all her comments were geared towards bringing my character out and all that permie career aspirations guff.

If anyone knows a good _contractor_ CV reviewing and reworking service I'm sure some people here would be interested (I didn't get any useful feedback when I asked here a few months ago, so I won't hold my breath).

I use www.cvwrite.com . Ring him, his name is Alan and tell him I recommended him to you. You may even get a discount.....

He is really good and knows what makes a good CV.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot
    If anyone knows a good _contractor_ CV reviewing and reworking service I'm sure some people here would be interested (I didn't get any useful feedback when I asked here a few months ago, so I won't hold my breath).
    The only one I used, many years ago, presented me with the CV of someone I wouldn't have recognised without the name at the top and the vaguely familiar list of clients.

I evolved my CV after years of asking agents and clients about it.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by angusglover
    Can't imagine why!!!!
    I was going to say "You wouldn't like it up your arse!"

But then again, you probably would.

Churchill - In "It takes all sorts" mode.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by angusglover
    If in doubt, get it reviewed by someone who does it for a living...(not me) but I know a man who does...
    Tried that, and it was a complete waste of time and money (only about £30 though). The lady couldn't seem to grasp the concept of an IT contractor not having career ambitions to speak of and all her comments were geared towards bringing my character out and all that permie career aspirations guff.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by kramer
    can't get enough beaver...???
    The Brazilians took them all !

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY
    Only part time?

can't get enough beaver to participate...

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    part time beaver trainer
    Only part time?

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    3ft 1" and hung like a baby carrot.

Never fails to get my CV past the HR birds.

Can't imagine why!!!!

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Notepad.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black
    Only put things on your CV you want calls about - if you did VC++ ten years ago but have no interest in doing it now change it to read just "software development" or similar for that role. Should stop the keyword database search monkeys.

I had "real time embedded" on mine from a role I did over 15 odd years ago and I still get calls about it... doh!
    Sound advice, but you should tune your CV for each job you go for.

For example, if you go for a job as a java developer that says some VC++ is desirable, add a sentence that you have used it in the past.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Doesn't really matter. Judging by the majority of conversations I've had with recruiters they don't read the damn thing anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    part time beaver trainer
    Salsa dancer (beginner)

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by coflc
    Hi
    I was just wondering what extras do you think you need to make you cv stand out.

Do you go out of your way to get certified and keep your certifications up to date?
    Someone else mentioned training, whitepapers? Do you do things like post articles to dev sites or list all your training courses.

how much study do people do at home? I know just learning java isnt enough anymore Spring and Hibernate are on most jobs.

How about mentioning beta sw? MS has a pile of new stuff like Expression/silverlight which havent been released but I'm looking into. Would you put them on your CV?

And how much influence would saying that you study certain areas but dont have much commercial experince in them help..I've noticed WPF and Ruby are slowly appearing in job ads here.

The main problem is that if you mention anything on your cv that stupid iProfile says you have experience in it. I did VC++ 10 years ago and i still get calls on it. I removed it from the last version of my CV as it had fallen onto page 4 and i only ever send 3 pages.

How many pages is the average CV?

Cheers
    BC
    When I read the title it conjured up and entirely different type fo "extra service" - maybe thats what WPF is?

A "Ruby" - How very dare you.....

I put Certifications on there but interestingly no-one has ever, ever verified them even in the (rare) cases when they are using it as a basic filter for a role.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    part time beaver trainer

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    6ft 8" and hung like a donkey.

Never fails to get my CV past the HR birds.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X