• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Salman Rushdie title 'may spark attacks'"

Collapse

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lambros
    I think the issue here is respecting other peoples' cultures. Part of the muslim culture is that no-one is allowed to offend Mohammed. I could never be a muslim because such a concept is so ridiculous to my personal view, and I'm sure that if Mohammed is a god he has a big sense of humour and zero ego!

Of course we should still respect other peoples' customs. Not to do so is uncivilised. Rushdie was being controversial at the time, and that's a matter for him. His actions still caused people to lose their lives. Now, Tony Blair has chosen to repeat that insensitivity, and it could cause further loss of life. Still Blair is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths so whats are few more?
    Why dont you roll over and let the nazi's tickle your arse?

Respect is earnt, not demanded and if they want some respect its probably a good start to show others the same respect they are demanding.

The honors list is a British tradition...in fact you could go so far as to say its a British Cultural Tradition and as such they should respect that fact.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan
    The country is corrupt to the core, it's citizens poorly educated, and is being run by a general who is pally with/coerced by the US.
    Pakistan also has a massive problem with radical mullahs, This is just a huge media exercise a'la Labour. They look tough and the illiterate may just follow them instead.

Really these titles have lost all their meaning and I don't know what the fuss is. They're handing them out like free candy to anyone these days. The illiterate of Pakistan don't know that of course.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    How does a fat,balding millionaire author end up with such a good looking woman? (although they do look a bit like cocker spaniel ears)
    I once got an email for the famous Andrew Neil. He might look like a total git with hair like a brillo pad - but seems he is a real lethario.

Mind you - he looks better than me...

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    How does a fat,balding millionaire author end up with such a good looking woman? (although they do look a bit like cocker spaniel ears)

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I've read his books and they're all rather good IMHO. Deserves the awards he gets.

As for the thugs making threats: if it wasn't this that upset them, something else would.

So in the great scheme of things this latest award doesn't make the slightest difference to whether the peace lovers will be queuing up for their pack of raisins.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by angusglover
    KentPhilip for Prime Minister.....WOOHOO....I agree.
    Ah thank you.

You can be my chancellor.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    You seen his minging missus?

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.ya...lakshmi102.jpg

http://www.pootergeek.com/wordpress/...cars_SandP.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    Pakistan has two faces. While they train and export the terrorists to chechnya , kashmir and all over the world, but they also claim to support west in the fight against terrorism. Talk about hypocrisy.
    The country is corrupt to the core, it's citizens poorly educated, and is being run by a general who is pally with/coerced by the US.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I see the Times has started an online petition in support

http://timesonline.typepad.com/comme...cision_to.html

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Zapico
    France, like Britain, has it's own colonial past to deal with (Congo, Lebanon, Vietnam etc)
    Thought the former actually belongs to the Belgs.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    I think the issue here is whether it's acceptable to live in a world where certain people can threaten others in the sort of thug "you dis' us and we'll pop you and your friends" mentality.

Respect other cultures yes, but not when you 'have to' respect them under the threat of violence.

Intolerance is not something to be tolerated...

Leave a comment:

• Lambros
    replied
    I think the issue here is respecting other peoples' cultures. Part of the muslim culture is that no-one is allowed to offend Mohammed. I could never be a muslim because such a concept is so ridiculous to my personal view, and I'm sure that if Mohammed is a god he has a big sense of humour and zero ego!

Of course we should still respect other peoples' customs. Not to do so is uncivilised. Rushdie was being controversial at the time, and that's a matter for him. His actions still caused people to lose their lives. Now, Tony Blair has chosen to repeat that insensitivity, and it could cause further loss of life. Still Blair is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths so whats are few more?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I suggest our diplomatic envoy should show the honerable gentleman that he still has the required appendages to shoot a longbow at him!!!

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver
    1 hr ago - Pakistan summons british envoy over rushdie Honor!

Religious Affairs Minister Mohammad Ejaz-ul-Haq again said his comments on Monday, that the knighthood could be used to justify suicide bombings, were not meant to incite violence.

But he said it was a fact that the honour could motivate potential suicide bombers, and added that The knighthood should be withdrawn and Britain should apologise to all Muslims.

Anybody got a suitable diplomatic response to that one?
    Why do I have to put with their nonsense, but they won't tolerate other countries and their traditions?

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Britain should Appologise to Muslims!

1 hr ago - Pakistan summons british envoy over rushdie Honor!

Religious Affairs Minister Mohammad Ejaz-ul-Haq again said his comments on Monday, that the knighthood could be used to justify suicide bombings, were not meant to incite violence.

But he said it was a fact that the honour could motivate potential suicide bombers, and added that The knighthood should be withdrawn and Britain should apologise to all Muslims.

Anybody got a suitable diplomatic response to that one?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X