• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rubbish Portugese police"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek
    Hmmm, I did ponder a theory today about Maddy's disappearance. Note, it is a theory, not an accusation, so calm down please at the back.

The central tenet of the theory is that Maddy was not abducted by a third party. She was disposed of by her own parents.

Ok...I guess I better do some quick explaining before I get lynched (for having a theory).

My theory is that

1. The parents were indeed across the way, boozing it up at the restaurant.

2. A parent returned to the room to check on the children.

3. On arriving at the room, the parent discovered something dreadful.

4. Maddy was dead. (she got up, discovered parents pills, drunk detergent, or whatever....)

5. Parent panicked and realised the following scenario.

6. If they announced that one of their children had died through parental neglect, the world would come down on them like a ton of bricks. The remaining kids would be taken in to social care when returning to the uk, the parents might face jail, blah blah blah end of careers, etc. Complete nightmare.

To avoid this, the parent concoted an abduction story. The parent disposed of the body (there were building works nearby and wet cement...)

Parent returns to restaurant and breaks the news that Maddy is missing...

Now, perhaps both of them returned to the apartment when they did the initial check, so they are both implicit, or one of them returned, disposed of the body, and lied to the other...who knows.

The motive in this theory is that although they lost one child, they at least get to keep the other 2 and keep their lives mostly intact (though have to carry the secret guilt of neglect as punishment for the rest of their lives).

The following media campaign is a well orchestrated yet believable smokescreen to reinforce the abduction story.

It's just a theory, not an accusation, but you know what Sherlock Holmes said..."sometimes you have to discard the obvious and whatever is left, however improbable, is probable (or something like that)).

Ofc, I hope I am wrong and she is found...but something doesn't feel right...
    More bollux - what's wrong with you lot, you all seem mentally ill to me.

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    replied
    Any News did the police find anything ?? haven't seen it on the news yet so assumed it was a no

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero
    Quoted for truth. It fascinates me how everyone these days has an opinion on how parents should or shouldn't raise their children, especially those who have no intention of producing offspring. But the Top Prize has to go to Ms Marilyn Baker for this wonderful display of human compassion: Link her petition to Social Services.
    thanks for the petition link - just signed it. couldn't have put it better...

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Hmmm, I did ponder a theory today about Maddy's disappearance. Note, it is a theory, not an accusation, so calm down please at the back.

The central tenet of the theory is that Maddy was not abducted by a third party. She was disposed of by her own parents.

Ok...I guess I better do some quick explaining before I get lynched (for having a theory).

My theory is that

1. The parents were indeed across the way, boozing it up at the restaurant.

2. A parent returned to the room to check on the children.

3. On arriving at the room, the parent discovered something dreadful.

4. Maddy was dead. (she got up, discovered parents pills, drunk detergent, or whatever....)

5. Parent panicked and realised the following scenario.

6. If they announced that one of their children had died through parental neglect, the world would come down on them like a ton of bricks. The remaining kids would be taken in to social care when returning to the uk, the parents might face jail, blah blah blah end of careers, etc. Complete nightmare.

To avoid this, the parent concoted an abduction story. The parent disposed of the body (there were building works nearby and wet cement...)

Parent returns to restaurant and breaks the news that Maddy is missing...

Now, perhaps both of them returned to the apartment when they did the initial check, so they are both implicit, or one of them returned, disposed of the body, and lied to the other...who knows.

The motive in this theory is that although they lost one child, they at least get to keep the other 2 and keep their lives mostly intact (though have to carry the secret guilt of neglect as punishment for the rest of their lives).

The following media campaign is a well orchestrated yet believable smokescreen to reinforce the abduction story.

It's just a theory, not an accusation, but you know what Sherlock Holmes said..."sometimes you have to discard the obvious and whatever is left, however improbable, is probable (or something like that)).

Ofc, I hope I am wrong and she is found...but something doesn't feel right...
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 18 June 2007, 00:44.

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    what is interesting is how people are turning their hatred onto these people who are doing nothing more than doing their very best to find their child.
    Quoted for truth. It fascinates me how everyone these days has an opinion on how parents should or shouldn't raise their children, especially those who have no intention of producing offspring. But the Top Prize has to go to Ms Marilyn Baker for this wonderful display of human compassion: Link her petition to Social Services.

Leave a comment:

• TinTin
    replied
    Blaming anyone and everyone

Not sure what the Portuguese police were supposed to do: get a couple of shovels and start digging in a area the size of a small village? When it comes to the blame game, the British always manage to excel themselves. Blaming the Portuguese police (maybe not the best but far more compassionate that our own up-their-own-arses counterparts, the Dutch newspapers (Telegraaf is far more decent than our own Sun/NoW/etc scumbags), etc etc etc
    Threatening to sue anyone under the circumstances takes the biscuit though.
    I hope the Weedgie father sleeps well at night

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    I have said nothing that in any way suggests I have a 'hatred' for this couple. Good for them for getting the attention they need, but I would like to know what else is going on in the world when I put the news on. It's a news story that has a cute kid in it and most of the viewing public can relate to the story because it is a simple one. This is partly why it is all over the news in my opinion.

What I find most interesting about these discussions about this situation on here is how irrational it is making a lot of people. Your posts DA are usually on the money and I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you have to say. On this subject you seem incapable of rational thought.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    what is interesting is how people are turning their hatred onto these people who are doing nothing more than doing their very best to find their child.

It is I am sure driven by the same human emotions that drive victims of kidnappings to befriend their captors, as well as victims of crime and violence to be villified rather than perpetrators. Most of the criticism has been angled at the parents of Madeleine rather than at whoever has kidnapped the child.

The villification is mostly due to our own ways of dealing with this sort of thing. It is habout how we block it out and deal with our own guilt and our own vulnerability as they are very much people like many of us. It is like a bandwagon of cowards.

Deaths in Iraq are much easier for us to deal with. They are detached from us, they happen to people who live different lives in different circumstances to us. We are immune to their suffering untill we need to use them to purge ourselves of our own guilt. We then use them to put Madeleine's event into a context where we can feel safe, and live without guilt.

In other words you are pathetic

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    That is like saying how many people have died of starvation in Africa whilst you have been filling your fat face over a weekend.
    No it's not. It's like saying why are the media covering me filling my fat face, complete with 3D graphics of hotdogs and porkpies and talking to chewing experts in the studio when there is the more newsworthy multiple deaths due to starvation story going on in africa at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    That is like saying how many people have died of starvation in Africa whilst you have been filling your fat face over a weekend.
    And that is why I can''t understand why people give a crap about being branded a "hypocrite"

Maybe a bit obtuse, might come back to this...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes
    Agreed. Obviously it's a terrible situation but there is more going on in the world. For example, how many deaths have their been in Iraq over this time period whilst the media are covering a potential death of 1?

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    I don't know, but 40 odd days of media coverage is a little OTT wouldn't you say?
    Agreed. Obviously it's a terrible situation but there is more going on in the world. For example, how many deaths have their been in Iraq over this time period whilst the media are covering a potential death of 1?

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    The reason they were mad is not because of the (lack of) verification. I think it was because, for the first time, they had had been made to face that fact that there was a very real possiblity that their daughter was dead. I only read his (father's) blog yesterday; they are moving at this incredible pace because only by having every moment filled do they have no time for doubts to creep in. If the worst happens, these two are going to fall and it's a long long way down.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    I thought it was funny how the parents complained about the media printing details of the letter, while at the same time trying to generate as much publicity as they can.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    I thinks her parents have some high connections
    They are good at media manipulation. Which is what counts these days.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X