• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Parents encouraged to use large 4x4's by the government"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    Some people seem to think stopping at a red light is optional these days.
    Well, if it doesn't have a camera on it, then the plod must think it is optional too!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I slid across a zebra crossing with all 4 wheels locked up once...

It was raining heavily... I was most impressed to find that the coefficient of friction of the crossing was about 50% of that of the road in front of it.
    Had that on an MZ motorbike (so only two wheels). Not so much the wet road as I'd ridden for about 100 miles in the rain without having to use the brakes, and I guess they were full of water, which rapidly boiled away. So, banging on the brakes, nothing happening, quite scary, then all of a sudden they bite and I come to a halt with jets of steam coming out of either side of the wheel drums. Looked really effective.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Some people seem to think stopping at a red light is optional these days.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird
    • do not wave people across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
    Does anyone else get really wound up when drivers do that condescending finger waggle thing to show that they have deigned to stop for you to cross? They just lift one finger off the steering wheel and wave it from side to side, like a teacher telling you off. I always get the urge to raise one finger back at them, but they're armed with a car and I'm right in the firing line.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65
    Highway Code:So the traffic doesn't have to stop unless you've started crossing, but it has to have stopped before you start to cross.

Is this rule a tiny bit biased?

171: Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing
    • look out for people waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
    • you MUST give way when someone has moved onto a crossing
    • allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
    • do not wave people across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
    • be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    How to Use a Zebra Crossing for Pedestrians

First stand at the kerb, remembering that the rules of the Green Cross Code apply at all times. Once all the traffic has stopped, then you may cross. Pedestrians have right of way over traffic once they are on the crossing.

If there is an island in the middle of the crossing, the two parts must be treated as two separate crossings. Make sure to check that traffic has stopped before you step off the island, in the same way that you did at the kerb.

If the traffic does not stop, then you can carefully put one foot on the crossing. This means that the right of way is legally yours, and the traffic must stop so that you can cross.

If a traffic warden, police officer or school crossing patrol (commonly known as a lollipop lady or man) is controlling the crossing, then wait for them to signal before you start to cross.

Remember to cross on the black and white stripes between the studs as it is dangerous to cross in the zigzag area.

(c) BBC

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    The only way to cross is to wait until someone decides to stop
    Technically untrue - I could demonstrate how to safely cross a 4x4-laden main road with the aid of an AK-47. I'm unsure of the legal ramifications of such an approach.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    The only way to cross is to wait until someone decides to stop, putting your foot out is (although correct) irrelevant, most motorists don't know the highway code, just look at lane discipline on roundabouts or the 50% of motorists who no longer indicate (which makes crossing the road anywhere interesting). Infact people who don't indicate are probably the biggest danger on the road, more so than speeders I would say.

Don't get me started on drivers of big Mercs

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by hattra
    Then they did nothing wrong - they only have to stop for you if you are already on the crossing (or standing on the pavement with a pram). Not thoughtless, they just had the right of way
    Highway Code:
    19: Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing.
    So the traffic doesn't have to stop unless you've started crossing, but it has to have stopped before you start to cross.

Is this rule a tiny bit biased?

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    Originally posted by hattra
    Happens to me all the time - cars, buses, lorries. Curiously, when I actually put my foot on the crossing, nearly everybody stops - the exceptions usually being young "executive" types in BMW's.

AH, BMW drivers...they are a law unto themselves...I think the attitude comes with the car though!!!

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by angusglover
    Happened to me this morning...but it was a woman in an Audi S3...so I guess she was also a selfish idiot!

Happens to me all the time - cars, buses, lorries. Curiously, when I actually put my foot on the crossing, nearly everybody stops - the exceptions usually being young "executive" types in BMW's.

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane
    The text of significance in your post is highlighted in bold.

Yep, I see your point. Why we let them drive is beyond me.....

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Happened to me this morning...but it was a woman in an Audi S3...so I guess she was also a selfish idiot!
    The text of significance in your post is highlighted in bold.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Did she have a small child in the back?

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane
    Sorry, I forgot that commonsense was a long forgotten concept in this country.

As if it would have made the slightest bit of difference to the reaction of the selfish idiot behind the wheel of the Chelsea Wagon if I had one foot on the crossing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X