• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BAE and the Suadi prince"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    www.wendigowormstudfarm.com, feckin anglers, but I succumbed to a management buyout.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    So am I. For more information visit www.oraclesmithprostheticlimbs.com

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyajae
    Arms dealing is a very murky world indeed.
    I went through a phase a few yrs ago when I'd tell people I was an Arms Dealer rather than an IT uberspod. If you can keep it up it is a fantastic way to wind some deserving people up.

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Quite true, but neither is hypocrisy.
    The government's attempt to cover up the saudi episode is using the fact that the contract, originally drawn up by the Thatcher Govt, had a specific confidentiality clause in it, insisted on by the saudis, that prevented all parties disclosing any details about the internal machinations of the agreement. This was very useful not only to Britain, in terms of future arms trades, but also to Mark Thatcher who happened to be making a name for himself in that part of the world at the time. Nothing more helpful than clauses that might help lubricate other potential business deals.

Let's not also forget that when it comes to arms trading, corruption is, and has to be, rife in order to move the wheels. Remember the Matrix Churchill directors in the Iraq Supergun Affair, who were prosecuted by Custom & Excise in 1992 for supplying machine parts "illegally"? Only for it to finally come out in court that the then Tory Government had been aware of what what going on and that the 2 directors had been working on behalf of the security services. Several Ministers tried to issue Public Interest Immunity Certificates to prevent the disclosure of the information that would have proved the directors' innocence. It all then led to the Scott Enquiry. If this information had not been known to the courts, the then Tory government would have had both of these directors hung out to dry.

Arms dealing is a very murky world indeed.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan
    Just because it happens doesn't make it right.
    Quite true, but neither is hypocrisy.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Just because it happens doesn't make it right.

Leave a comment:

• TinTin
    replied
    Really!

Last I heard is that the US Congress is about to launch an investigation into BAE's conduct. Sour grapes possibly? And how do their esteemed companies like Boeing, McDonnell Douglas etc operate may we ask? I suggest they ask the Saudi Ambassador to the US as a witness, hang on that's the guy that took the (alleged) bribes!

Leave a comment:

• Lambros
    replied
    I didn't know The Carlyle Group were also involved, nuff said, I think!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Summer Sale!!!

I draw your attention to this, from the Sunday Times in 2006:BAE and the Saudi prince aren't the villains here, the real villain is the pious and sanctamonious **** above, who has presided over a government that is worse than the one they replaced.
    Impress Your Friends! Be the Envy of your Neighbours!

Get Cushy Directorships!

SEATS FOR SALE.

LUXURY LEATHER SEATS IN HISTORIC SETTING.

LIFETIME GUARANTEE.

LIMITED OFFER. ONLY 731 SEATS AVAILABLE.

SALE MUST END ON 27th JUNE.
    Last edited by Sysman; 8 June 2007, 14:51.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    BAE and the Saudi prince aren't the villains here, the real villain is the pious and sanctamonious **** above, who has presided over a government that is worse than the one they replaced.
    you said it...

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    Hasn't business always been conducted this way? I think you would have to be very naive to think otherwise.

Why can't they let it lie? I just hope the Guardian and the BBC are happy when BAE lose the deal and 5,000 skilled UK employee's lose their jobs.
    I draw your attention to this, from the Sunday Times in 2006:
    Sleaze helped to propel Tony Blair to power nine years ago and sleaze will help to end his political career, sooner rather than later.

The prime minister came to office having successfully exploited voters’ revulsion over a “degenerate” Tory government which they saw as sleazy and divided.

“Sleaze has become the hallmark of the dying days of this administration,” Blair said before the 1997 election. “(we will be) whiter than white, tough on sleaze, tough on the causes of sleaze”.
    BAE and the Saudi prince aren't the villains here, the real villain is the pious and sanctamonious **** above, who has presided over a government that is worse than the one they replaced.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyajae
    It's the clash of cultures. In my younger years I travelled extensively throughout the Middle East and the Arab culture is one of bartering, bargaining and sweetners.

However, in the West, it opens the door to bribary and unfair competition and hence it is illegal.
    This isn't a cultural thing, it's a money thing.

Wherever there are large sums of money involved you will always have some form of sweetner, backhanders, jolies, bribes etc.

Call 'em what you want, but it's the way business works.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    One is a fool to have its main customer for the arms trade being a backwards fraudlent country like Saudi Arabia
    Oh yes, I am sure it has cost us a packet over the years alexei!

Originally posted by AtW
    There my July's posting quota has been used up

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    There my July's posting quota has been used up, I blame sadguru and Kajage for that
    hey ATW, come back! i miss your insights into Russian espionage and intelligence. What do you think Blair will be saying to Putin today? "Do you mind not using atomic substances in future assassinations?"

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman
    It was perfectly legal when the contract was signed.

Or should we just invent laws to dodge contractual obligations?
    Is this not what HMRC are doing in the hoose of lairds just the noe? Obey one law while we try to do you for one that does not exist yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X