• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: theJazz

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "theJazz"

Collapse

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by freakydancer
    Blues kicks the tulip out of jazz. Jazz has no soul, blues has.
    as bob said: "i don't belive you... you're a liar"

though perhaps with less venom 'cos i don't really care if you can't get it.

personally, i think that there is rather a lot of jazz out there that has plenty of the soul you might be searching for: lady day, charles mingus, miles davis, and fats waller are four that have plenty to spare. mind you, duke ellington, dizzy gillespie, louis armstrong, oscar peterson and ella fitzgerald have a fair bit of feeling in their work too. if you want to know the tracks or albums worth listening to i can supply the details.

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Nah there's feck all sport now CD has been vanquished.
    And how is Mrs Maggot today?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyajae
    Hello again, Maggot. Are you stalking me again today?
    Nah there's feck all sport now CD has been vanquished.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Cheers bud.

If I could combine blues with a spinkling of jazz improvisation (bit like Clapton does) I'd feel like the mutz nutz of guitar playing.
    Actually I'd suggest Hendrix as a target if that's the kind of sound you want to aim for, probably more of it available written down as sheet music to study.

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    check this - it may help >>> http://www.theorylessons.com/modal.html
    Cheers bud.

If I could combine blues with a spinkling of jazz improvisation (bit like Clapton does) I'd feel like the mutz nutz of guitar playing.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Yeah, I think your right. All my guitar tuition was from DVDs from Lick Library. They didn't exactly explain it in great detail.
    check this - it may help >>> http://www.theorylessons.com/modal.html

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    Hmmm - check the modes and you'll find that was what I was saying
    Yeah, I think your right. All my guitar tuition was from DVDs from Lick Library. They didn't exactly explain it in great detail.

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    Well you would if you didn't bother with aeolyian, mixolydian dorian and phrygian scales. Building blocks for jazz improvisation.
    Sounds like a bunch of characters from Star Trek....you forgot the Romulan scale tho...

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Kyajoke is just trying to be sophisticated, when in reality he has the intellectual depth of a slug on prozac.
    Hello again, Maggot. Are you stalking me again today?

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    I bow before your harminic omnipotence.

I'm still of the opinion that good melodic jazz improvisation is quite an art form. Being a mere and unworthy blues lead guitarist, jazz style guitar never ceases to amaze me, but I guess being a musical simpleton, anything like that would hold my gaze.
    Blues kicks the tulip out of jazz. Jazz has no soul, blues has.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Kyajoke is just trying to be sophisticated, when in reality he has the intellectual depth of a slug on prozac.

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Well, I suggest you learn something about music, cause they are just other names for the things already listed, i.e. aeolyian is a fancy name for a natural minor scale.

HTH

I bow before your harminic omnipotence.

I'm still of the opinion that good melodic jazz improvisation is quite an art form. Being a mere and unworthy blues lead guitarist, jazz style guitar never ceases to amaze me, but I guess being a musical simpleton, anything like that would hold my gaze.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Well you would if you didn't bother with aeolyian, mixolydian dorian and phrygian scales. Building blocks for jazz improvisation.
    Hmmm - check the modes and you'll find that was what I was saying

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Well, I suggest you learn something about music, cause they are just other names for the things already listed, i.e. aeolyian is a fancy name for a natural minor scale.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    As a musician who has spent years studying music theory including all the major/minor modes, harmonic minor, melodic minor, augmented, diminshed scales and all that bollocks, I have concluded that jazz is cack.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X