• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Outsourcing Contract Hunting to a Virtual Assistant"

Collapse

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane
    Why should this bother you? I think it's handy to have agents call while I'm on the client site - it shows that I'm not reliant on the client for further work and puts me in the position of power at renewal time.

If the client saw no demand elsewhere for my services, they'd be more inclined to assume that I would accept the same rate and/or working conditions for the renewal.
    I guess you re right. I am still "green" with this. But the idea of having someone take care of secretarial stuff is interesting.It supports the idea of expanding your business.
    Last edited by 2uk; 3 June 2007, 22:36.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk
    It is kinda inconvenient to go out the room every time you get a call. The clients see that you are considering other stuff. This can be an indication to them that you are looking for something else ( although you are just keeping in touch for better offers ) . And this will influence their renewal decision.
    Why should this bother you? I think it's handy to have agents call while I'm on the client site - it shows that I'm not reliant on the client for further work and puts me in the position of power at renewal time.

If the client saw no demand elsewhere for my services, they'd be more inclined to assume that I would accept the same rate and/or working conditions for the renewal.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    "Getting a job for a person who lost his job due to outsourcing" -

i.e. outsourced service companies got this chap made redundant, and he could only get another job by paying another outsourced service company, and they're downright proud of it!

10/10 for brass neck, might try them myself!

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On
    I'm going to trial it for a week at the 3 weeks to go stage. I'll check in with my VA twice a day, once at about 12 and once at about 4. They would have the facility to contact me urgently as well if need be.

What I'm worried about is how much they might charge - would it be a full day's work for them (8 x $15)?

I'm still waiting to hear back as I enquired about this to them. They do offer this as one of their services:

https://www.getfriday.com/services-common.htm
    Let us know how it goes. I am interested in this as wsell.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I'm going to trial it for a week at the 3 weeks to go stage. I'll check in with my VA twice a day, once at about 12 and once at about 4. They would have the facility to contact me urgently as well if need be.

What I'm worried about is how much they might charge - would it be a full day's work for them (8 x $15)?

I'm still waiting to hear back as I enquired about this to them. They do offer this as one of their services:

Getting a job for a person who lost his job due to outsourcing a year back. We did the job search, did the cover letters, did the resume tuning and got the client a job in 30 days.
    https://www.getfriday.com/services-common.htm

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    I just started to encounter the situation where you get agents calls at work. It is kinda inconvenient to go out the room every time you get a call. The clients see that you are considering other stuff. This can be an indication to them that you are looking for something else ( although you are just keeping in touch for better offers ) . And this will influence their renewal decision.

I would like to hear some experiences with the Virtual assistants. It might be useful if you use it for the right thing. For example , since it takes 1 -2 days to find a contractor for most of the GiGs , this Virtual Assistant will not be useful because what matters is response time and all the Virtual Assistant can do is promise a call back.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On

The concept of outsourcing to India takes on a new meaning if it works in your favour
    Do your reckon that Honey is any good at writing code too?!

Also, BWH?!

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    Originally posted by timh
    Hey!
    You know what would be awesome..?

"If you are recruiting for a permanent position, press 1"
    "Thank you for calling, goodbye!"

"If you are recruiting for a postion that might not exist, press 2"
    "If you are recruiting for a position that pays less than £1.95/day, press 3"

Where can I get one?

Quality...a good start to the day...I do like Fridays...and working from home always helps!

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Originally posted by timh
    Where can I get one?
    I had to find a PC board to handle the telephone years ago to do this sort of thing. Just wondering if VoIP or an interface to Skype could do the same? https://developer.skype.com/

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    That is a good article - I liked it too!

Here is the company they both used and their rates:

https://www.getfriday.com/payasyougo.htm

I'm thinking pay as you go which is $10 a month for the service then $15 an hour as you go.

My contract ends at the end of June so I'm going to road test them for 3 weeks to go stage and see if it works or not.

The concept of outsourcing to India takes on a new meaning if it works in your favour

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Jog On,

I just followed the link from your original post. I was reading about the American guy who hired two Indian assistants to deal with his affairs! It was excellent! They were totally dedicated...his business PA, 'Honey' sent a really polite 20 line email requesting an end to marketing emails on his behalf, and his personal PA 'Asha' even emailed his wife an apology on his behalf. They also conduct his online research and shopping, phone his mobile and utility companies etc...all while he's asleep.

I wonder how much they charge!

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Can voicemail search jobsites for you and apply for new contracts on your behalf?

I should have mentioned that I'll use them to do web research and other stuff for my internet marketing business while I'm still in the day job so it would just be an additional task for them.

Leave a comment:

• timh
    replied
    Hey!
    You know what would be awesome..?

"If you are recruiting for a permanent position, press 1"
    "Thank you for calling, goodbye!"

"If you are recruiting for a postion that might not exist, press 2"
    "If you are recruiting for a position that pays less than £1.95/day, press 3"

Where can I get one?

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    Kind of like voicemail???????

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    started a topic Outsourcing Contract Hunting to a Virtual Assistant

Outsourcing Contract Hunting to a Virtual Assistant

I find when I'm applying for a new role it's not always convenient to answer the phone and when I can answer the phone it's not always good to spend the best part of the day ducking and diving around the office/outside/on the stairwell etc. on the phone to agents.

I'm reading a book at the moment all about only doing a 4 hour work week and it has a large section on 'outsourcing your life' using VA's. This got me thinking, and I'd particularly like to hear what some agents think of this.

How would it look if I were to get a VA to answer all calls relating to new contract work as though they were an employee of my Ltd? They would state that I am 'currently unavailable to speak with them personally but would like to arrange a time that is mutually convenient sometime the same day.' They would explain that "I'm sure you understand that <Ltd company name> prides itself on delivering an absolutely first class service to all our clients which is why <contractor name> cannot deal with the volume of calls we are currently receiving in person while on a client site"

Agents - would this put you off or would it show a more professional approach? Would it just make you think "oh well forget this one on to the next one then.."

I would of course check in with the VA at say lunch time and call you back as soon as I could get/make a window.

I would also use the VA to search job sites and apply on my behalf to the roles that meet my criteria instead of serruptitiously looking myself and not being at liberty to search myself (the dept manager sits right behind me overlooking my screen - not to watch what I'm doing it's just the layout of the office).

The way I see it it's no different to having a secretary/temp answer your phone for you and say "he's busy but please leave your details and he'll call you right back" In this case I would school them to answer as many questions as they possibly could as well ie. - rates, NO I'm NOT considering perm etc.

Any opinions?

Working...
X